Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, these are just my Taurus revolver impressions. No data to back it up.

My Taurus M85 snubbie (38+p) really impressed me with shooting groups of 5 rounds within a 3" circle at 25 feet. Impressed me enough to get a Taurus 627 4" Tracker 357. Tried my new 627 Tracker 4" today and was equally impressed. At 25 feet could do 2'' placement with all 7 rounds. DA trigger movement was just as good. Even though the 627 barrel is ported didn't really sound any louder than my 3" Ruger SP101 357 shooting the same rounds (all Wally World Winchester 357's). (And not much more of a flash than my SP101, which I took with me to use as a comparison.) At 50 feet could shoot groups within a 4-5" circle. Fired 150 rounds without any problems.

Had some reservations about porting flash and noise and porting hot gas stories posted elsewhere. Didn't really happen. Didn't sound any louder than the 1911 in the next lane. The flash was noticeable but not enough to cause distraction (maybe some if fired in a dark room). There are just impressions, not any technical results.

Have been satisfied with my two Taurus revolvers, which is more than I can say for the two Taurus pistols I have (PT111 and PT145). The finish on the Taurus 627 may not be up to S&W standards, but for the price I don't think you can beat Taurus revolvers. Those grips though have to go. They feel like bicycle tires with a soft tread! Anyone have suggestions for replacements?

Does anyone know if they make a bobbed hammer replacement for the Taurus M85? Saw one of the Taurus models that came with a bobbed hammer shoot through a coat pocket. Wouldn't try it though but am thinking of using the M85 as my CCW. Seems like a natural.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hogue grips.. i bought a set for mine and my brothers 627's. we love em. i can't wait to take my 627 hunting this weekend. Any deer within 25 yards is gonna be on my table for dinner.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Great post....tomas....thanks

Those grips though have to go. They feel like bicycle tires with a soft tread!

i kinda like them..they are very different from grips i used before...
I also want to put different grips on mine..it will happen soon...i like the grips that are molded to your grip..

And you are correct about the double action on the 627..
i have one also( and love it)....i have never been able to shoot double action, but this weekend i did..and i was amazed how easy it was with this gun..Mind you now..i needs me mor praktice... :p
but at 12 yards my group was pretty tight...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
They feel like bicycle tires with a soft tread!  Anyone have suggestions for replacements?
Went to the gun store today and was going to buy some grips...
Learned something.....
Taurus and Houge got together to make those...LOL..those are Houge grips :eek:

the guys in there both have Taurus snubs in 45..they also have some others that they shoot..they were saying,they wish Houge would put the factory ones on the market..guess they really do absorb alot of recoil..they want them on there other guns but can't..these grips are only put on Taurus Handguns..
We pulled of the grip and put on the one i was going to buy,the factory grips that are on those guns feel way better...the other grips are hard as a rock compared to the factory ones..
Guess if you are going to do alot of shooting with mags,i think the hard grips would hurt after awile...Dunno :rolleyes:

Ps..I am going to post this as a thread also..so you will see it again..LOL

Hope this helped ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
They are well made, handsome and versatile revolvers. I have a Tracker .357 with the 6" barrel and use it primarily for plinking. I only use .38s in it once in a blue moon but generally prefer 125 gr. and 158 gr. fodder.

The best part was I got it LNIB for $260.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dbsoundguy.... Made by Houge? Very surprised. Thanks for the info.

Taurus_9mm... See that you also live in Louisville. Where in the world did you find your Tracker for that price?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Tomas,

I picked it up at Biff's Gun World on Dixie Hwy. At the same time I picked it up they had a mint Ruger Security Six for $300 but couldn't get both at the time.

About 50% of my purchases are there and 50% in Elizabethtown at E-Town Gun. Each has some guns that are cheaper than at the other place so I like to visit both.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Biff's has a large inventory, just kinda hard to find much in there as crowded as he keeps it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Yep! It seems to be more of a gun/curiosity shop than dealing just strictly with firearms. I suppose that's interesting for those who go there for things other than firearms but I can't pry myself away from the gun cases long enough to look. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Geez, Biff's is still in business? I did some business there back in the late '70s/early '80s. He put a receiver sight on a Remington 660 Mohawk in .243 Win for me in the mid '80s, too. He had a rack of FN49s in 7.9mm Mauser that I drooled over for quite a long time. Never did buy one. Sad.

ECS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts