Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an itch for a 357 magnum snubnose and I've narrowed my choices down to the Taurus 617 or the Rossi 462. I really like the glossy finish of the Rossi, but looks aren't necessarily everything. Is one better than the other? (Better trigger, smoother action, or whatever.) Is one more reliable than the other? I know I'm looking at a 6 shot versus a 7 shot and a hammer mounted firing pin versus a transfer bar. What other factors might I be missing? I would prefer to keep the topic limited to just these two firearms :) As a note, I intend to shoot purely 357 magnum from whichever pistol I choose (NO 38 specials) - I'm no stranger to recoil - I actually seem to like it in handguns. Any and all help is much appreciated - especially from actual owners.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can't say anything about Rossi have never owned or shot one. But I can tell you mu 617 is a joy for me to shoot. I have the 617B2 handles recoil very well and it conceals very easy for me. Taurus014.jpg Taurus020.jpg I never get tired of posting pictures of my girl.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...As a note, I intend to shoot purely 357 magnum from whichever pistol I choose (NO 38 specials) - I'm no stranger to recoil - I actually seem to like it in handguns...
Welcome to the forum, friend!

You should fit in very nicely here. There are a bunch of recoil junkies who call this place "home" (present company included)!

001-Judge Ultralight upright with ammo-ls.JPG 001 - M605 .357 Mag.JPG

P.S. My .357 Magnum M605 doesn't even know what a .38 Special round looks like. ;)

·
32,481 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would think the 617 would be a bit better for shooting .357 magnums out of all the time.

I own a 462, but rather use +P .38 Specials and the light .357 magnum 125gr. and up to 140 gr. rounds .357 rounds. That's just me.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
While I have owned both, I feel the 617 is the better choice; and subsequently sold the Rossi®. The 617 is three ounces heavier than the Rossi® to better absorb recoil, has a ¼" longer barrel, and a 7th shot. All are pluses IMHO. I received my 617 as a birthday gift from my wife in 2003. Then, as now, the SS version is matte stainless; often referred to as "Frosted Stainless". Using my Dremel™ with a wire brush wheel, 0000 steel wool, and a polishing wheel w/jewelers rouge; I changed the finish to bright stainless. My recommendation to you is to buy the Taurus® Mdl 617.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My recommendation to you is to buy the Taurus® Mdl 617.
To be honest I was hoping that you would reply to this thread, badge851. You have essentially answered all my questions - as well as the one I didn't ask - How would you make the 617 bright stainless? :D

Thanks for your time guys - I think I'll be getting the 617. It won't be immediately, as I have other financial concerns at the moment, but I'll try to post pics when I do get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. 7 shots of 357mag! Now that's a bad day for any bad guy. Hows the concealability of these two guns? Anyone have the width specs?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Mine is 1.55 inches at the widest part of my cylinder.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm interested in this as well. 7 shots of 357mag! Now that's a bad day for any bad guy. Hows the concealability of these two guns? Anyone have the width specs?
I find my 617 is easy and comfortable to carry . I carry IWB every day all day ( where ever legal) .

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I find my 617 is easy and comfortable to carry. I carry IWB every day all day (where ever legal).
I'm searching for a good IWB holster for my 617; what IWB holster do you use?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love my 462, and have had no problems with it. The next time I come across a 617 for a good deal though, I'm gonna buy it.
Very nice piece. Personally I prefer the looks of the 462. Mind if I ask where you got the grips from?

·
32,481 Posts
Wearing the Rossi 462 now and have it loaded with +P Remington .38 Special 158gr. LSWCHPs. :)

The 617 is a great revolver but with my size and frame hiding it for CCW would be near impossible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, I've expanded my view and am now considering the Taurus 605. As I understand it, it's easier to conceal and you can get better grips for it. How many of you would prefer the 605 over the 617?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Alright, I've expanded my view and am now considering the Taurus 605. As I understand it, it's easier to conceal and you can get better grips for it. How many of you would prefer the 605 over the 617?
I have, use, shoot, and carry both. In the spring and summer I carry my 605SS2 as my EDCG; fall and winter it's the 617SS2. The weight difference between them is 6oz or so. (My 617SS2, loaded w/158gr ammunition; weighs exactly 33oz. The 605SS2, loaded with the same ammunition; weighs 27.4oz.) Neither gun is suitable for pocket carry IMO. Now for me, my 617SS2 is my favorite revolver; but, that is because I received it as a birthday gift from my wife. I am a big guy, 6'2" 220lbs, so concealing the 617 is not a problem. If you can only have/afford one gun however, I would recommend the 605 for the following reasons..........
• Its 6oz lighter so it's easier to carry.
• A wide variety of after market grips are available, to include laser grips from Crimson Trace®.
• A far greater variety of holsters are available for the Taurus® small frame than the compact frame.
• MSRP of the 605 is $63.00 less than the 617.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sometimes the right answer to an Either/OR question like this one... is BOTH. Check out which ever one you run across first. If it is in the right condition and mechanically sound, get it. Then, later on, get the other one. You might find that you prefer the 617 for some things and the 462 for others. The same ammo fits both, which is a huge plus. You might find, after you have both, that YOU like the trigger pull on one more than the other, or you like the sight picture, or concealability, or recoil, or extra round, or weight, or something else. Get one, get the other, and make your choice.

(maybe Huskybiker said it well too)

I love my 462, and have had no problems with it. The next time I come across a 617 for a good deal though, I'm gonna buy it.

Reactions: kinggabby
1 - 20 of 23 Posts