Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello TaurusArmed.net. I am not a new Taurus shooter, but I am new to the forum. Honestly, I have been coming here for a long time reading reviews, ect. before buying most of my Taurus firearms. In fact, a review here on the 24/7 OSS convinced me pick up my first Taurus pistol. Never looked backed...

So, I have carried a model 85 or a Rossi .38 as my CCW choice for years. I just traded both for a 617, 7 shot, .357 wonder wheel. Shoots great, carries just fine, but...I am wondering if anyone else has had the following two problems:

1. The cylinder release is very "loose", it has substantial play up and down, all the time. Does not
effect the shootability at all. Just makes me nervous. It is even an issue or just how these revolvers are built?
2. I put 350 rounds through today (lots of .357 but some .38 too) and on two occasions I fired, fully released the trigger for reset, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The hammer did not move, the cylinder did not advance, nothing. Pulled again and on I went with no problems. This could be me, I could only think I fully release and reset. This 617 may be more sensitive than my 10 year old .38s. Has anyone else had this problem?

Update: put 300 through the new 617 today, 0 issues. I will probably post a range report over the weekend. This is officially my new carry revolver.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Hello TaurusArmed.net. I am not a new Taurus shooter, but I am new to the forum. Honestly, I have been coming here for a long time reading reviews, ect. before buying most of my Taurus firearms. In fact, a review here on the 24/7 OSS convinced me pick up my first Taurus pistol. Never looked backed...

So, I have carried a model 85 or a Rossi .38 as my CCW choice for years. I just traded both for a 617, 7 shot, .357 wonder wheel. Shoots great, carries just fine, but...I am wondering if anyone else has had the following two problems:

1. The cylinder release is very "loose", it has substantial play up and down, all the time. Does not effect the shootability at all. Just makes me nervous. It is even an issue or just how these revolvers are built?
2. I put 350 rounds through today (lots of .357 but some .38 too) and on two occasions I fired, fully released the trigger for reset, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. The hammer did not move, the cylinder did not advance, nothing. Pulled again and on I went with no problems. This could be me, I could only think I fully release and reset. This 617 may be more sensitive than my 10 year old .38s. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have not had that problem with my 2003 617SS2. I did develop that problem with a 2010 605SS2 after 5,400 rounds. I sent the gun to Taurus® and they elected to replace the gun instead of repairing it; see here..........
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/t...993-my-605ss2-customer-service-adventure.html

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to have my brother-in-law, the MP and all around gun guy, fire a few hundred through it and see if its me(which is highly likely) or the gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts