Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a new model 617 stainless last week for my wifes primary CCW.

The lowdown:

2" barrel, seven shot revolver with Taurus's "combat" grip. Weight approx 30oz, with fixed sights and bead blasted finish. Price out the door here in Utah from Sportsmans Warehouse, $424.

Seven rounds in a wheelgun is a bit strange but comforting and one of the main reasons my wife chose this model.

Fit and finish on our gun was "ok" mainly due to the rough finish and the side plate joint being fairly obvious. Triggerpull in SA mode after a good cleaning is a consistent 4 pounds. My gauge doesn't go over 8 pounds but I would guess the DA to be around 12 pounds or so, which is fairly typical. SA and DA are smooth and crisp with no grittiness felt. I anticipate the SA to drop to around 3.75 or so after a bunch of dry fires and actual shooting.

We had a very short time in which to test gun this past weekend and I only had two different rounds on hand. Normally I don't shoot specials in my magnum guns as I can always download the mag rounds and the cleanup is a pain from the shorter cases, however all I had on hand was 50 .38 special semi wad cutters and some home loaded .357's. Both loads were 158 gr with the .38's being lead and the .357's being Berry's round nose copper plated bullets.

The sights, such as they are on a snub nose revolver were regulated well for both loads in elevation, with the .38's being dead on the money. The .357's consistently shot 1" left, but that could be due to the makeup of my home load. Things could change with seating depth, charge or type of powder. I will be experimenting this weekend with a larger variety of loads once the "supplies" show up from MidwayUSA. Timing is good with no spatter noticed and the cylinder to barrel gap is approx .005's. Not too tight, not too loose. I will be setting up a chronograph at the next range session to see just how much the short barrel affects the overall velocity.

Accuracy (with a specific load) was quite surprising to say the least. This is the first seven rounds out of the gun in SA at seven yards unsupported. Groups more or less doubled in DA which is more than adequate for a personal self defense gun in my opinion!

Recoil was easily managed even with the .357's thanks in part to the guns weight and stock grips. I could easily shoot and practice with the gun as is. However, the guns actual owner my wife, was less than impressed with the recoil aspects and I have since ordered one of Taurus's ribber grips ($24.70 shipped). The stock grips are a good compromise between conceal ability and control.

I have a Galco high ride holster on the way and will post my carry impressions. However I suspect it will be quite nice compared to my typical carry pistol which usually consists of much heavier and longer 1911's.

Pro's:

Seven shots
Accurate
Good trigger

Cons:

Heavy for a CCW
Wide seven shot cylinder makes it harder to conceal
Fit and finish, not as good as some Taurus revolvers or other manufacturers.

I plan to start the polishing regimen this week as the bead blasted surface is a pain to clean. I think I can also help clean up the side plate joint a bit while smoothing the surface.

All in all I'm pretty taken with this pistol and am confident with it as a tool for self defense.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice review.

I too have a 617SS. I love the gun and carry it daily with a Galco FLETCH holster. I carry it with .38+P JHP's. .357 is a bit too much for me without more practice.

Anywho, a quick question for ya. I would love to get some ribber grips for mine. Where did you get yours? I have a buddy that has a Judge, and I really like those ribber grips. After I shoot about 100 rounds of .357 out of mine, it feels like someone hit me in the hand with a baseball bat.

·
Administrator
35,527 Posts
That is a great CCW gun - I could care less about the weight, if it's a stud gun in a pretty concealable package, and that fills the bill nicely. Great review too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pic of 617 with Ribber grips

Here's a pic of the 617 with the ribber grips off of my Tracker. The frames are identical so all grips are interchangeable. They of course give much more control at the expense of concealability.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Four years old?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I find my 617 to be a solid dependable CC firearm, while it is about 11oz. heavier than the Colt Cobra it replaced I found the 7 shot cylinder to be only a few thousands more in diameter than the 6 shot Colt. After carrying a 1911A1 concealed for years I do not find the weight of the 617 to be a real factor.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That was an excellent review and I agree wholeheartedly with your opinions on the Model 617.
It is heavy for a snubbie but it shoots great and seven shots is a nice option to have.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Four years old?
Yeah, it's old, but I don't think it's outdated. Nothing changed in the manufacture, and since there has been talk of the model being discontinued (although I am seeing that this may not be the case), there may not be a whole lot of new reviews. Every forum I have ever been on has people who chide others for starting new threads when old ones exist, and since this one came up when I did a search, I thought I would acknowledge it

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How about a long term update? I am really considering one of the 617 titanium models. I get mixed reviews online regarding flame cutting, binding, etc. really like the looks of it but dunno

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
I certainly love my 2003 617SS2; it's my daily carry gun.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for your super review, complete with great photos of your wife's fine new 617 .357 magnum revolver. I have the 605 in matte stainless and love it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine quickly became my EDC, but I don't know anything about revolvers so the flame cutting and binding stuff is Greek to me. Guess I should look into it...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts