Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would pose this question.

A couple months ago I bought a relatively new Taurus 608 manufactured in 1999 in the polished stainless steel (chrome?) finish. After putting 1000 or so rounds through it I decided to get another in the beaded matte finish to carry in the woods (I'm vain and don't want my ultra shiny range toy to get dirty). This one was manufactured in 2006. They both shoot great, and I was thinking of putting scope on one or both, but I noticed that the vent slots are at different positions on the revolvers with the 1999 model being spaced farther apart.

My question: Does this affect which scope mounts I can buy, and what other differences are their between model 608s from different production years?

Thank's for your help!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
No answer for your question...But its polished stainless steel...I had only one 608 it had a 3in barrel and a boobed hammer ..ported ..and was shiny stainless..nice gun

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! I can't help you either, but someone will be along who can. May be tomorrow, its getting late.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha, thanks for trying guys.

I guess this was a bit of a doozy. I tried calling Taurus customer service, they were pretty helpful. Apparently they have two sets of scope mounts, one for the older Taurus 608's and some for the newer ones. In case anybody else was interested in this I put together a brief compare/contrast of my two guns. So what I found (and please remember I'm mostly a newb when it comes to handguns, and I welcome and knowledge you could share):

Action:

The action on the 1999 model 608 was much smoother than on the 2006. With the 1999 when the hammer goes back the cylinder turns with the hammer so that it completes a 1/8th turn when the hammer reaches the position where it snaps forward. With the 2006 model the cylinder would complete a 1/8th turn when the hammer was only about 3/4 the distance to where it would snap forward. Now this doesn't affect single action very much, but it makes for a little bit odd double action pull if you do it slowly.

Shot Groups:

I'm relatively new with handguns, but at 25 yards I can get about a 4-4.5" with both guns centered around the bullseye. They're both very good guns. My friend gets about 3" groupings from the same distance with either gun.

Finish and Construction:

The 1999 I bought almost new from a guy who just kept it in his safe and didn't carry it because it was big and heavy, so this was in like new condition polished stainless steel. Everything fits tight, good cylinder lockup, and aesthetically it is very pleasing. The 2006 I bought used from a geologist who took it into the rockies with him. It had a fair amount of wear on the finish, but one thing i noticed that was really odd was that the barrel underlug wasn't flush with barrel. There appears to be something like a seam on one side.

View attachment 56764

In conclusion, I'd say if you could get a Taurus 608, get one. They are a blast to shoot, pardon the pun. The recoil is ridiculously low even shooting .357, and fairly accurate even for beginners. If you are concerned about aesthetics I would look for an earlier model, or just pony up the money to buy a S&W. The scope mounting issue is a little bit of a bummer, because the older style scope mount costs a bit more than the newer ones, but I don't think I really feel like putting one on the polished one anyways after thinking about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is more than a year old, but I'm running into the same problem. I have a 608 with a 6-1/2" barrel made in 2002. The new production mounts do not line up with the vent rib slots. Did you ever find one that fit your 1999 version of the 608. I'm not going to drill and tap my unit, so that is a non-starter. Thanks for your help. DayOne!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The is a scope mount out there that will fit your needs. Try wwwCDNNinvestments.com and OpticsPlanet Free S&H Gun Accessories, Night Vision, Police Equipment, Binoculars, Telescopes, Range Finders ...:icon_ lala:
MoonDawg, Thanks for the pointer, but I've spoken to reps at both opticsplanet and CDNN (I do a lot of business with CDNN). The problem I'm having is finding one that will fit the older model 608. The people I've spoken with have not been able to assure me of a proper fit without tapping for the mount. That's why I was hoping the 'CAB161' could tell me where he got his and what part number he used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks, an update on the scope mount search. I went back to Optics Planet and tried again. John from customer service did some additional research and found this one for me that he says should work fine. ----------------- B-Square Revolver Mount- Taurus 44 Magnum, 607, 608 6&8in w/Vent Rib, Steel 42306 BE-MT-42306. I'll let you know for sure in a couple of weeks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts