Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im hooked on 357s. I picked up the rossi 972 because I couldnt find the Taurus 608 in 8 3/8 ... only could find one in 6" at basspro and theres no point accepting the 6" if I want the 8 3/8. By accepting the rossi 972 it left me open to buy the 608 when I find the one I want as I can explain to the wife that they are truly 2 different guns. The problem im having to tell her is the rossi 972 is a J or a K frame (hearing both depends who I ask) and its not good for the most violent 357 rounds that I need to use it for. Very pretty gun that everyone wants to look at but not the heavy frame I want for hot loads that I can get my friend to make for pig hunting backup to my bow. I am however not getting anyone backing my belief up that the 608 is in fact an N frame and can handle without a problem the dirtiest loads that I can run through it with ease. Easier to explain to her when I can let her run 38s through the shiny rossi and I get to play with the heavier stuff at the same time.

Next she has to understand that the king cobra and python are in fact 2 very different guns. Sadly I had to pass last weekend on an 8" python for $2000 at the show when they are going for 5-7k on gunbroker.

· Registered
528 Posts
Taurus frame sizes do not directly equate to S&W sizes. My 82's do not fit in a k frame size duty holster but fit perfectly in an L frame holster. I don't have a 608 but it may be a bit larger than an N frame. My only concern with the 608 and super hot .357's are the relatively thin chamber walls in the 8 shot cylinder. I own several Taurus revolvers but also own many Ruger GP100's and IMO those are the guns for the insane .357's.

· Registered
606 Posts
First, I gotta say I'm hooked on 357s also. Your question on S&W N frames and Taurus large frames got me to measure mine. I ignored the barrel lengths and focused on the frames. Please forgive the 608 not being cleaned up yet, I just used it for the first time on Saturday.

In some measurements the N's frame is slightly larger that a 608, approx 1/4" in height to trigger guard and 1/4" in length of frame. The frame width is identical, but the 608's 8-shot cylinder is approx 1/4" larger diameter than this Model 27's 6-shot cylinder. I didn't remove grips so I can't provide overall heights of bare frame.

Unfortunately my camera died after I snapped these two pictures so I can't show other measurements. This "ultra-accurate" paper ruler was not moved in the two pics, its just shown at an angle in the 2nd closeup pic.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
2,818 Posts
I have some Sellier & Bellot .357 158gr that are ultra hot......even S&B told me
to send them back. They are hot enough to ping your ears thru muffs and make
my T/C Contender stand and take notice. S&B won't give me any details, and I am
sure it is some fluke on their end [10yr old ammo].
I have mentioned this in other posts.
I have shot other .357's in my 608 8"...Magtech,Remington, and my loads without
problems, but the S&B [just the one box] locked the 608 up so tight that I almost
didn't get the cylinder open so I could unload it to send to Miami for repair.
I no longer shoot hot stuff in it, and it works flawlessly, and has a trigger group
I will put up against any Smith Performance Center that I have.
I would advise not shooting the hot stuff in it obviously from my own experience.
I have T/C's,Blackhawk's,GP's, etc for that.
I am certain the S&B ammo was an isolated incident....I have never loaded any .357's
that were that hot....in almost 50yrs. I still have half a box of it, and if I knew a way
to easily identify the powder, I would pull a few and find out what's in them.

· Registered
528 Posts
I have a .357 Ruger Redhawk and THAT is the gun for shooting the ultra hot (but safe) max loaded .357 rounds. A .357 Blackhawk is a close second. Not bashing Taurus but nothing they make compares to a GP100 with it's crane lock. Buffalo Bore uses a GP100 to test their thumper .357 loads.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that rained on my puppydog parade. Now im wondering just which 357 loads I can shoot safely with taurus and rossi. All the GP100s ive come across lately were 2" and 4" except for one that was a tad bit overpriced. Im about to get my hands on the first 357 I shot in my life as my dads old drinking buddy no longer shoots now that hes in his 60s ... an S&W model 19. That might come at an even better price - talking about the old days with him and promised to clean the gun for the first time its ever been cleaned. Havent heard of the Redhawk yet. Im really working on collecting toys with longer than a 6" barrel. I know this might seem pointless but those are the ones that really catch my eye. A friend is trying to get me to get a black powder .44 and im thinking im gonna have to go there soon.

· Registered
606 Posts
I won't discount a 608 just yet. As long as you are shooting SAMMI-spec loads I don't see a problem with the 608's cylinder. And if I ever had a problem I would expect Taurus to handle it under their lifetime warranty.

Any firearm can break if you load unsafe rounds.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have picked one up at gander mountain before they went up to $699. Absolutely love the fact that for 30 bucks they overwarranty your gun for one year beyond the date of the manufacturers warranty. They took care of my rossi 972 in an hour with a little work it needed and if it needed to be sent to taurus ... they would have picked up the shipping bill. I dont have time to run to the post office due to my extreme work schedule or even have the desire to deal with the hassles of shipping. My wife is just in love with the 972.

I could have sworn I saw a 608 in polished stainless, not the matte stainless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.