Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I bought this new 608 after a great deal of Internet study and research. It was my thinking that I needed that purchase to be such that I would end up with a heavier, larger frame piece that would not have a great deal of recoil. (I wanted my wife to be able to shoot it and not wince from any great discomfort in the process.)

Having now shot 1,200 rounds through the gun, I am thrilled to no end at what this gun has given me/us. I don't think I could be happier with a gun. My wife loves to shoot it, and though those big magnum rounds in a much smaller revolver (Ruger SP-101) had previously pretty much scared her away from shooting .357 loads, she has no qualms at all now with magnum loads in the 608. She affirms that the longer, heavier barrel (and porting) are just what the doctor ordered. This is my first gun with a ported barrel, and I doubt that it will be my last. With some of the energy from the muzzle blast going straight up through the ports, that action tends to push the barrel back down and counteracts the muzzle flip that would occur on other guns. The end result -- not much recoil at all, leaving you with a very quick time in acquiring the target for the next shot. Again, this gun is an absolute joy to shoot! To make things even sweeter, the trigger on this gun is fantastic right out of the box! Though I shoot single action much of the time, it is also very sweet in double action. I can only exclaim "What a gun!"

I began reloading right after the beginning of this year. To enhance my happiness with the 608, I have recently developed a load for the .38 Special that gives me commendable accuracy, round after round. (I'm still working on such a load for .357.) My wife and I went to the range yesterday afternoon and both of us enjoyed putting this bad boy through its paces. It's a thrill for me to have a gun that I love to shoot, and one that my wife also enjoys experiencing. Heck, I may end up with a second 608 somewhere down the line... ;D

Rock on, Taurus! You've got a winner with this 608!

Amistad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeap, I've been happy with EVERY Taurus I've own so far.
Never have I put 1,200 rounds through one.
Maybe 100 max.....I stick to .22LR/Mag for my plinking.
It's cheaper, and easier on my ears.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps you understod me to say that I shot 1,200 rounds through my 608 in a single range session. Not so. I keep up with my fired round count and that's the total since I bought the gun... :D

Amistad

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
A beefy enough gun and .357s are easy. :D The SP101 is about the smallest revolver I can put hot .357 loads through. Any lighter and I'll shoot .38s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
After 1200 rounds without a hitch maybe we can put this unreliability thing to bed? Sounds like you are having fun Amistad, bet it won't be too long before one of you needs their own gun. Enjoy. Frank

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations Amistad! I'm pleased to hear how much you and your wife are enjoying the 608. We have a handful of 608 owners on the board and the ones who do own them apparently like theirs quite a bit as you do. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Amistad, I can only second your opinon of the 608. Mine is the 4" version and I couldn't be happier. As you pointed out the trigger is excellent, recoil is managable and the overall feel of the gun is superb. Like you I shoot frequently putting anywhere from 100 to 150 rounds per week down range. I haven't keep a detailed count of rounds fired but I would guess I've shot at least 1000 trouble free rounds. Like you, I reload and have fired a variety of round from mild 38 specials loaded with 148gr WC behind 3.3 gr of N340 to hot 357's 125gr JSP in front of 8.4gr of the Bull. This gun just eats them up and throws them down range. I don't think there's a better 357 on the market for anywhere close to the same money.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well said, rainman. Mine is the 6 1/2" barrel, and it is precisely what I had hoped it would be.

I took a friend to the range with me yesterday. He shot it with such remarkable accuracy that I came home with my tail draggin'. Well, not literally. ;D But it was a real treat to see someone with such skill put on such a display of great marksmanship. When I later asked him what he thought of the gun, he simply replied, "Sweeeeet!" :D

Amistad
'fully agreed!'

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been experimenting with different loads for the past few weeks, and have just passed the 1,500 fired round mark with this 608. I've now decided that the most accurate load for it (in .38 Spec) is made with 148 grain DEWC, powered by 5.0 grains of HS-6. These rounds are really fun to shoot! I've loaded up several hundred of them and that ought to keep this gun happy for a while... ;D

Amistad
'happy as a June bug on a watermelon rind!'

·
Registered
384 Posts
Amistad said:
I've been experimenting with different loads for the past few weeks, and have just passed the 1,500 fired round mark with this 608. I've now decided that the most accurate load for it (in .38 Spec) is made with 148 grain DEWC, powered by 5.0 grains of HS-6. These rounds are really fun to shoot! I've loaded up several hundred of them and that ought to keep this gun happy for a while... ;D

Amistad
'happy as a June bug on a watermelon rind!'
Amistad, The 608 is a great platform for big and slow rounds. the accuracy is very impressive. My two favorite rounds are 148gr DEWC in front of 3.3gr of N340 loaded in a 38 special (can subsitute 2.7gr of Bullesye if you want) or 158gr SWC using 4.3gr of N340 in a .357 case. Both rounds are extremely accutate, have minimal recoil and, best of all, are cheap to load and shoot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts