Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the 4" 608, ever since I bought a few S&W M28 Highway Patrolman revolvers and my Ruger Redhawk .357, I have fallen in love with the large frame .357's........

These just look like neat guns, and I have enough 6" .357's with all the Ruger GP100's I have........and so a 4" 608 looks like an awesome gun.

I have read mixed reviews on these, and was wondering what the overall opinions on these are.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I like mine. It's a very sweet shooter. The recoil is very tame, the trigger is as good as they come and the gun is accurate. It's a well balanced gun also. I have large hands and I find the fit of the gun to be excellent.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good! I love the look of the 4" model of this gun.

I don't have a Large Frame Taurus, I assume the grips are different than the Medium Frames..........I have a couple sets of factory wood "target" style grips for the new Medium Frame revolvers but I guess they wouldn't fit the 608.

Also, does the front sight have a red insert?

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
The 608 is a large frame revolver and it uses a different grip than the medium frame revolver. The front sight has a red insert, but the insert is actually a piece of red tape. The first time I scrubbed off the powder residue left on the front site from the porting, the Hoppes #9 also removed the tape. I then filled in the recess in the site ramp with red finger nail polish and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info BigSkiff!

I imagine this gun would be pretty durable, given that it's basically a .44 frame chambered for .357.

I have seen older pics of blued 608's but the stainless looks good too. A set of woods would be a must for me, since the recoil is not much of a factor with large frame .357's. I'm also glad it's an 8-shot, since it keeps the weight of the cylinder down and keeps it from beating up the cylinder stop and stop notches in fast DA. This can be a problem with the .357 Redhawk and also somewhat with the S&W 27's and 28's.

·
32,619 Posts
I was going to load you up with lots and lots of links from the archive here and from other gun forums, but think that BigSkiff covered it all. :)

Darn, I can't assign homework. :)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I'm wanting a 608 myself as well, i think it would be a good start as a revolver for the collection. Thanks for the info and picture BigSkiff, i love the look of that grip on there, something about steel and wood goes together like iced tea and lemon wedges.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stantheman86, do you want the model 608 for carry ? If yes, forget about it, it's too heavy and too bulk... For a range gun this model is very nice.

Lt. Nogueira

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Unloaded it does come in at a hefty 44 oz., in comparison, my 945 is only 29 oz. empty. For carry, i would recommend an 85 or some other snubby to be able to tuck and carry comfortably.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Ahh, Big Skiff!

What a superb pic of your stunning revolver!

The matte stainless finish is hard to beat, in my opinion.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no, I would never carry the 608!

I tried to use my .44 4" Ruger Redhawk for CC one time and that didn't feel too good, on top of the fact that I had to wear a shirt that was 2 sizes too big to hide the darn thing........

Thanks for all the info, it looks like a 4" 608 is high on my "needs" list. I have a few 6" full lug .357's and even they can get front heavy during extended range sessions, plus I feel 4" is the best all around barrel length unless you plan to hunt with it.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I had a 608 Polished SS 3in ported barrel Bobbed hammer it was a thing of beauty...got in a hard spot and sold her.....

i also had a 607 ....it was a sweet shooter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts