Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a source for smaller grips for the 608? Would grips for the Taurus 66 fit?

I currently carry a 617 but I just picked up a 608 4" in SS and am thinking of carrying the 608 sometimes. I plan to lop off 1.5 inches off the barrel, re-crown, new sight, & put on smaller grips.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have a Hogue Grip left over from when I had one. It's not any shorter but the back strap was somewhat open making it easyer to grip.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I found some boot grips for the 608. It seems that medium/large boot grips for the Taurus square butt will fit the 608. These are the same ones for the Taurus Model 66.

The purpose of these grips is to shrink down the overall size of the 608. After chopping down the barrel & putting these grips on, it should make the 608 a concealable package that offers 8 freaking shots of 357 mag! I'll take that over a 1911 any day of the week! Haha

Thought I would share this info.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I like a man who likes to spend money...Heidi Fleiss or was that me being funny?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I want to see pictures when you chop it down. I thought about doing that with mine. When Arthiritis started to set in the gun was to heavy for self Defence handeling and I sold it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor man's 627

I posted this on another forum . . . probably more appreciated here... ;)

Took a Taurus stainless 4 inch 608 and cut down the barrel by 1 inch. This 608 like most others had a ported barrel. Basically lopped off the ported part. The ported part didn't do anything except for a whole lotta flash at night or at an indoor range. It really didn't do anything for recoil because the gun's already pretty heavy. Also, the ported portion is only a shroud/lug. No lands/grooves. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a 4 inch barrel. A big plus was that I didn't have to re-crown the barrel. It made the project a whole lot easier. Finally, at 3 inches, it also left a bit of the front sights on the barrel. BTW, at 3 inches, it also left all the lettering on the gun!

After cutting down the barrel, sanding down the edges, & polishing a bit, I cut down & filed the hammer spur by about 1/2 inch. It was just enough to leave the ability to use it in single action. Finally, added the LaserLyte laser and swapped the OEM grips for a set of shorter and thinner boot grips for the square butt. Overall, the 608's footprint shrunk by about 25%.

I'd included one picture that compares it to my "usually" carry piece - a 617. The cut down 608 is about 25% to maybe 33% larger, but still manageable as a concealed piece with a high-ride Galco and a good belt. I'm pretty sure that this 608 will become my usually carry piece as soon as I get my Galco Silhouette for the S&W N-Frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
My model 608 (61/2" barrel) that I purchased about 6 months ago, has the square grip frame. Most any grip designed for the Taurus Medium/large square frame size, which the 65/66 & 608 is, will fit. I just ordered two sets of Hogue Rosewood Big Butt target .grips for my 608 and a stainless model 82 that I have.

GUNS AMMO 008.jpg TAURUS MODEL 608 002.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts