Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. Ok, I have a Taurus model 606 .357 magnum with a 2 inch ported barrel. I bought it brand new a few weeks ago and I can't seem to find too much information on this particular model. I want to know what kind of holsters would fit it, are these good revolvers, ammo choices, and why were they discontinued? Also what is the lifespan for these revolvers? I really love this gun and would like to start carrying it soon. Any info would be appreciated, thanks guys.

View attachment 23136 View attachment 23137 View attachment 23135 Thanks, Al

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I would think they dropped it in favor of the 617 with the seven shot cylinder. Taurus is always starting and dropping new models though. I think they are the best/worst about doing that. I would try looking for a holster that says it fits a two inch S&W Model 10 or 64 and it should fit but you should test it first. As for ammo, with modern hollow point ammo you just about can't go wrong but I really like the Speer short barrel ammo. As for lifespan, that's up to you on how much you thunder away with the reddest hottest ammo, how well you clean the barrel and forcing cone area, and in general just how much you use to the level of abuse it. .357 magnum ammo in light weight bullet loads like 125gr and lower tend to be bad about being the highest pressure and hottest loads. The are the worst at flame cutting scars on top straps, forcing cone erosion, and sending guns out of timing or warping frames. The Speer short barrel ammo uses a 135gr Gold Dot bullet that is well made and isn't nuclear loaded. I prefer the older lead SWC HP 158gr bullets since I am neither and arm chair ninja or a SWAT team member. They worked very well for a darn long time and I am going to start casting them myself I think. But really any modern Winchester, Hornady, Remington, Federal, or other big name brand makes darn nice .357 magnum ammo. And you can always shoot all the .38 special you want, but make sure to clean the crud rings they leave in the chambers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also, just bought a 606. What I can gather, mostly from the manual, is it is a compact frame. Which leads me to believe grips and holsters for the 617 should work. I haven't tested this theory yet, but I will. I'm gonna start with a hogue or pachymar (spelling?) grip. If these fit I gonna drop the dime on some crimson trace.

Mine was built in 98 and trigger is super smooth. Can't wait to get to the range.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update

The 606 shot very smooth at the range. It seemed to like the Hornady 158 .38 specials the best.

I ordered the Hogue grip for the 617. It fit perfect. Feels really nice as the longer grip and palmswells filled out my hand.

This leads me to believe that the Crimson Trace 375 grips should work.

I saw a 617 4" with the crimson trace at Academy today and it looked sharp.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
The 606 shot very smooth at the range. It seemed to like the Hornady 158 .38 specials the best.

I ordered the Hogue grip for the 617. It fit perfect. Feels really nice as the longer grip and palmswells filled out my hand.

This leads me to believe that the Crimson Trace 375 grips should work.

I saw a 617 4" with the crimson trace at Academy today and it looked sharp.
​If 4" that would be a 627 Tracker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
​If 4" that would be a 627 Tracker.
I stand corrected, it was a 627 Tracker 4". My Bad.

Tried out the hogue grip just now. I think I have a favorite new gun.

I finished off all the .38 +P ammo. I don't think I'm gonna buy anymore either. The gun ate it fine but the flash and boom are just over the top. The range I shoot at is poorly lit. it feels like being in alley with a street light. The Hornady 158 FTX regular loads weren't too bright and stayed on target well. I think I'll keep using those. I'm sure it's enough to keep two-legged critters at bay.

P.S. If I get 600.00 for father's day I'll own that tracker with the crimson trace......I always wanted me a tracker.:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I inherited this 606 that was my late fathers. He was not a big gun guy and only had it for home defense. He put less than 100 rounds through it. It definately has a boom factor at the range. I was shooting 125 grain Hornady CD''s and felt it had plenty of power. I hate the grips though. But now after seeing you guys have had other grips work I'll put some Hogues or Pach's on..or Eagle Secret Service grips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts