Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Taurus 650 CIA and ran less than 100 rounds through it. The pin that holds the firing pin assembly in vibrated out while shooting, and the firing pin assembly fell out when I went to reload. I didn't see it fall out and the only part I was able to find was the pin that holds the assembly in. I called Taurus and the customer service girl I spoke with asked if I was mechanically inclined. I told her I was and could put the firing pin back in myself so she said they would send the parts. Two weeks went by and no parts. I called Taurus customer service back and the lady I talked to said there was no record of my ever having called. She said she would get the parts out to me in a week to ten days. The parts arrived and were not the correct ones. I called Taurus again and explained the problem, was put on hold for a while and was told they had gotten the correct part numbers and would send the parts out, and I would have them in a week to ten days. I received the second order and it was exactly the same parts as the first order. Both of the invoices stated what guns they were for and mine was not one of them. I called again and a customer service rep said he would have to go out in the "shop" and get with a gunsmith to make sure I got the right parts and would call me back. I waited two days - never got a call back. Called them back again and the customer service rep said the replacement parts that came up in the computer were evidently wrong. At that point I said don't bother looking anything else up, I will just ship the gun back to you for warranty repair.

I shipped the gun back to Taurus FedEx Priority overnight. It was received by them on June 22nd. Two weeks later I received a letter from Taurus stating they received my gun on June 29th. They did not - it was there the week before, I have the FedEx tracking and signature proof. The letter also stated "processing" (their word - why didn"t they say repair?) would take approximately 5-6 weeks from time of receipt. Really since my gun had already been there for a week before they officially "received" it, it is 6-7 weeks for the repair. I waited a month trying to get the correct parts sent, and the gun has been at their repair facility now for about a month.

At no time were any of the customer service people that I dealt with rude, they seemed like they wanted to help, but I got the impression they were all stressed. I didn't have the heart to give any of them grief over this - it's not the end of the world and not my only firearm. It is my only Taurus though. Any company that manufactures a product can have a defect slip through. The measure of how good the manufacturer is is in how well they take care of thier mistakes (and their customers). Taurus is very disappointing in this instance. I really liked the feel, exterior finish and accuracy of this little snubbie for the few rounds I put through it before it broke. My brother in law has two Taurus revolvers that have been jewels - no problems.

Either Taurus has a flood of defective guns in to repair right now, or not enough gunsmiths to handle their warranty work, or both. I am still undecided as to whether to keep it when I get it back, or trade it in on another Smith and just write my purchasing this Taurus off as a mistake.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I suspect that the transferable lifetime warranty may have something to do with this. Many people buy Taurus gfuns because they know that if anything ever goes wrong with it, they will fix it. There are millions of Taurus guns on the streets, and this means that Taurus probably has more guns in their fascility for repair than most manufacturers. Some people still send Smiths and Colts, etc. back to the factory after the warranty period is done, but most will take them to a local gunsmith to have them fixed.

Anyway, sorry to hear that your repair is taking so long. If you like the gun, I'd recommend just keeping it after the repair.

Todd

·
32,813 Posts
As posted elsewhere by staff and members, Taurus has been accepted world wide by police angencies and civilians overseas. With that in mind is it a wonder that with that kind of distribution that there might be slow turn around times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So also are Colt, Smith & Wesson, HK, Glock, Kimber and a number of other manufacturers whose repair turn around times appear to be much shorter than Taurus at the moment.

I'm not calling Taurus' customer service weekly and busting their chops (I'm sure some people are), but come on, taking anywhere from six weeks to three months do do warranty repairs is just a little too long wouldn't you think? What do you think the response would be from the Military and LE agencies that have "accepted Taurus" (in your words) if they are taking that long to get a gun back? You know the answer to that one. There may be some, but I do not currently know of any LE agency or military that uses Taurus as their duty weapon.

Giving Taurus customer service people grief when you call is not going to solve anything. It is not their fault. The fault goes higher up the chain of command. Taurus has flooded the market with affordable guns and evidently has failed to put an effective warranty repair service in place. The more you sell of anything, the more defects you will have, and a manufacturer had better make allowances for it.

Hopefully Taurus will get this current problem under control before it starts impacting their reputation, or customers like myself, and those military and LE agencies that accepted Taurus will be going elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Most companies give LE (and I assume Military) priority for their duty weapons on Service.

Steelheart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an update on my 650CIA.

I received it back yesterday after an almost ten week wait from the time Taurus received it at their repair facility. To take close to ten weeks to replace a firing pin, firing pin bushing and spring to me is just a little too long. After I received it, and dry fired it to see if everything was working properly, I saw that the firing pin would not retract. I soaked it with break free and finally it loosened up and began to work normally. Obviously their gunsmith replaced the parts and didn't check his work or he would have caught that. I'm just glad I didn't have to send the gun back for another ten week vacation in Miami.

This was the first Taurus I have purchased and probably would have purchased several more (had my eye on a 1911). I have decided to hold off on any more purchases of Taurus products until I see more favorable posts with regard to reliability and warranty turn around time. They need to work move from two to three months for warranty repairs down to two to three weeks. Maybe better quality control at the factory would help to do that.

Their customer service needs a major overhaul. No one was rude, but with one exception, no one was really helpful or gave me the impression that they gave a s_ _t. Taurus is not the only firearms manufacturer that has had this problem. HK had serious problems but turned their customer service around 180 degrees. I hope Taurus can too.

After thinking it over, I went to my local favorite gun shop today and traded the 650 CIA in on a HK P-7 PSP Grade A. I figure that, including the Fedex charge to ship it to Taurus for the repair and what I got for it on the trade, I lost around a hundred and fifty dollars on it. Thats ok, sometimes you have to pay for an education. I really couldn't trust it as a carry gun, or for home defense, so it had to go.

Initially I was impressed with Taurus commitment to making wheel guns and some of their innovative engineering. I wanted to be a Taurus customer, but at every step of the way Taurus convinced me otherwise. It appears that if you get a Taurus that works great out of the box, you have a great firearm. If you don't, then be prepared to be highly disappointed.

I'm not going to say I'll never buy another Taurus, maybe I will in the future if it looks like their QC, customer service, and repair turn around times improve. Right now there are just too many other good choices to spend my firearm dollars on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts