Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first revolver a Taurus 605 poly 357 mag. The grip on the gun is nice and fits my hand well. I can't wait to take it to the range. Put some snap caps in it and practiced drawing, dry firing and manually loading again. Trigger pull is heavy in Da but after about 30 dry fires my hand adjusted. The SA trigger is nice and smooth. Will give more feed back when I take it to the range.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey, it looks just like mine. LOL. Good luck with it. I'm liking mine so far but haven't gotten to shoot it yet. If you are going to use speed loaders the grip will have to be trimmed. Seem my post on 1st impressions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much do you think it would affect the grip to shave it down to be able to use a speed loader? Or does anyone know of a replacement grip which makes it usuable

·
Registered
729 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol. It is your call but before I started to modify a new gun to work with speed loaders you may want to evaluate speed strips first. They can also fit easily into a front or rear pocket which a speed loader will not do. Some will say the speed loader is faster than speed strips but life is a compromise. Both require practice to be proficient. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely have a few speed strips, just ordered some more snap caps to practice dry fire and reloads. Tried some and it's actually not too bad with the speed strips.

I'm not use to the double action trigger weight at all, dry fires around 40 times and my forearm is on fire lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little update after practicing some dry firing and speed strip reloading tonight I wanted to warn everyone the crane area by the ejector rod is razor sharp. may need to smooth that out while reloading I cut into my thumb pretty good. any recommendations on that are appreciated.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was dry firing tonight and practicing reloads and started thinking that everytime I do a universal or stress reload my finger touches the forcing cone, I am assuming from watching and reading that 357mag rounds make that forcing cone extremly hot. should I start practicing a non dominent hand reload so I dont stick my fingers in the cylinder area and risk burning myself on the forcing cone?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
after dry firing last night and practicing reloading I find my speed strips have loosened to the point that when Im reloading with them a few come out when tring to put the first couple in. I also keep running into when ejecting the rounds one keeps hanging up on the grips. I found a seller on ebay who makes some urethane custome grips for the 605 poly and he says that all the customers for this particular grip have all asked if it clears speed loaders and from there feed back yes they do. from everyones experience are urethane grips less forgiving on the hands? thinking of getting the set of grips and switching to speed loaders. the ebay use is tillander637 if you want to take a look at them he makes custom grips.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Just an observation and a thought.......Chances of you( not you in particular) ever getting into a shootout where you have to use a speed loader are probably minimal at best. One or possibly 2 shots from a .357 will either have the bad guy running or dead and you moving to exit the scene. It it were me, i would invest the money into ammo and practice versus buying a new grip. Of course, i dont know where you live or how often you go into harms way.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same thing is the return on investment worth it on that particular item. I purchased a set of bianchi speed strips to see if the brand is different as far as holding up in retention of ammo. my original set was a desanti speed strip set. Was planing to take a course which requires at least 3 speed strips or loaders. I usually go to the range every two weeks and shoot around 100 rounds. Since I am not adept at reloading quickly have been practicing to become more fluent.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was thinking the same thing is the return on investment worth it on that particular item. I purchased a set of bianchi speed strips to see if the brand is different as far as holding up in retention of ammo. my original set was a desanti speed strip set. Was planing to take a course which requires at least 3 speed strips or loaders. I usually go to the range every two weeks and shoot around 100 rounds. Since I am not adept at reloading quickly have been practicing to become more fluent.
Practice loading without looking at your revolver. You want to keep your eys down range at all times and head on a swivel and the goal is to reliably reload without looking. Don't try for speed initially but that too will come and faster than you expected.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Practice loading without looking at your revolver. You want to keep your eys down range at all times and head on a swivel and the goal is to reliably reload without looking. Don't try for speed initially but that too will come and faster than you expected.
sounds good will do that have some more snap caps coming in so I can practice more efficently while dry firing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
sounds good will do that have some more snap caps coming in so I can practice more efficently while dry firing.
Snap caps are great for dry firing but not what I recommend for practicing reloading. The issue is weight; snap caps definitely feel quite different than live ammo. Don't mix loading and dry firing while you are learning. Practice each separately. Learn to reload with what you will carry.

To practice reloads I set up an empty box on the floor between my feet. Sit back and watch the game or TV. Barrel to the ceiling, open crane and dump rounds into box; barrel down and reload. Close cylinder and repeat. I usually start with a full cylinder and three loaded speed loaders. Again, even reloading the speed loaders without looking is a great drill.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snap caps are great for dry firing but not what I recommend for practicing reloading. The issue is weight; snap caps definitely feel quite different than live ammo. Don't mix loading and dry firing while you are learning. Practice each separately. Learn to reload with what you will carry.

To practice reloads I set up an empty box on the floor between my feet. Sit back and watch the game or TV. Barrel to the ceiling, open crane and dump rounds into box; barrel down and reload. Close cylinder and repeat. I usually start with a full cylinder and three loaded speed loaders. Again, even reloading the speed loaders without looking is a great drill.

The snap caps I use are made by 82ndparachuterigger on ebay and he makes them true to weight so they feel like the 125g ammo I have for carry. The normal snap caps are much too light. I keep running into a issue where one of the bullets hangs up on the grip during unloading which is just about driving me to replace the grips lol

its definitely diffucult to do it not looking was trying this morning and kept dropping some rounds out if the strip while trying.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That happens to everyone else.

AbE: what I do when having to deal with the stock grips (Charter Arms Undercover stock full grips as well) is practice where I just barely get the nose of the bullet over the last hole and then turn the knob. Make sure the gun is pointed down and let gravity and a loose bullet get them into place.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That happens to everyone else.

AbE: what I do when having to deal with the stock grips (Charter Arms Undercover stock full grips as well) is practice where I just barely get the nose of the bullet over the last hole and then turn the knob. Make sure the gun is pointed down and let gravity and a loose bullet get them into place.
you do that with the speed loaders?

·
Registered
507 Posts
you do that with the speed loaders?
Yup, HKS. At first you'll get 3 or so rounds in but pretty soon you'll get all five. Remember is the real would three rounds is better than two, four better than three, five ...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts