Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my first .357 mag revolver...a Taurus 605.
I have already changed out the grip for the Hogue 67000 larger rubber grip...feels great in the hand.
I will use a Kydex IWB for concealed carry.
I have yet to fire it...waiting on fair weather for the outdoor range.
Anything you folks can recommend or have to say about this model or .357 in general please proceed.
I am used to firing .380 .40 & .45.
Many thanks...and PEACE to your family & home!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just got my first .357 mag revolver...a Taurus 605.
I have already changed out the grip for the Hogue 6700 larger rubber grip...feels great in the hand.
I have yet to fire it...waiting on fair weather for the outdoor range.
Anything you folks can recommend or have to say about this model or .357 in general please proceed.
I am used to firing .380 .40 & .45.
Many thanks...and PEACE to your family & home!!

It's a sweet .357. Some .357's will hurt your hand after so many shots and you'll want to go with .38 special or .38+p instead. I don't find it to be the case with the 605 like some other .357's. Maybe it's just me and how our hands are shaped. The Ruger LCR with .357 is pure torture after a couple of rounds. The 605 is pretty accurate
for a small revolver once you get used to not anticipating what's to come and getting spooked.

It's small enough for me to pocket carry and my gun of choice every time going to Walmart is needed.

·
21,928 Posts
Very solid, well made, versatile revolver. I think I'd carry .38+P in it, unless I was in bear/mountain lion country, then 158 grain HSM bear loads. Should last forever. Congratulations!

·
Registered
846 Posts
VERY NICE CHOICE OF A REVOLVER>< THE 605 IS ONE FINE CARRY GUN.

I USED TO CARRY ANYTHING FROM A 380 TO THE 45 CALIBERS AND ANYTHING BETWEEN.

I HAVE SETTLED ON THE 357 CALIBER IN THE 605 and 617. LOVE THEM BOTH.

IT WILL DO A FINE JOB FOR YOU, THE 357..

ENJOY AND GOOD SHOOTING AT THE RANGE.

·
8,322 Posts
I just hate the 605...thats why I have two of them. It is the perfect size and weight for any kind of use. Good range gun, good carry gun..it just does it all and rates up there with most any snubbie. I have uncle Mike combat grips on my pair (hard to find). Also did a spring job on both getting the DA down to just under 8lbs. Accurate , well made , fits my hand perfectly. One I keep as bedroom defense loaded with 357mag hornady. The other rides with me when mowing with three #4 snake shot rounds and two Hornady 38 HP's.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Regarding the Hogue 67000? If it fit well? Good to know. I have a 605 in the works right now and if after the first range session I don't like the factory grips, the Hogue will get ordered ASAP.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
The .357 revolver is one of the most versatile handguns IMO. Easy practice with cheaper 38 Special...ready for most anything with the 357 full house loads. I have a Dan Wesson Model 15 3.5" barrel and a Rossi R-462-2 which is currently on a long vacation in Miami. Come to think of it...the DW hasn't gotten much love lately! ;)

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
I have a long affair with the .357 Magnum, probably my all time favorite handgun caliber. I currently own a 3" Taurus 66, a 4" Taurus 66, a 2" Taurus 605 Poly, a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk, and a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk flat top. Oh, and I have a Rossi carbine in .357 magnum. Out of that 20" barrel, a hog or a deer won't know the difference in it and a .30-30. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
Regarding the Hogue 67000? If it fit well? Good to know. I have a 605 in the works right now and if after the first range session I don't like the factory grips, the Hogue will get ordered ASAP.
I'll do the same...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a long affair with the .357 Magnum, probably my all time favorite handgun caliber. I currently own a 3" Taurus 66, a 4" Taurus 66, a 2" Taurus 605 Poly, a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk, and a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk flat top. Oh, and I have a Rossi carbine in .357 magnum. Out of that 20" barrel, a hog or a deer won't know the difference in it and a .30-30. :D
Nice bunch of .357's. No S&W .357's or desire? I might not have been observant enough, but I don't remember seeing very many if any Kimber K6s .357's owned by members on this forum. What a sweet revolver. I love mine.

But as an excuse, I did have two cataract eye surgeries over the last two and three weeks so reading up close is a little problem. Otherwise, I've never seen better for distance my entire life. Haven't shot yet since the operation but I can't wait. The new eyes are 20/15.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my first .357 mag revolver...a Taurus 605. I have already changed out the grip for the Hogue 67000 larger rubber grip...feels great in the hand.
I bought that too but the extra length inhibited my CCW a bit. Also since it uses the frame backstrap it actually didn't feel as comfortable to me. I actually really like the factory Taurus grip.

I bought one but it has proven rather painful to CCW with... since the m605 is so small it has the 'rock in a shoe' effect for my hip. I purchased a couple of DeSantis OWB holsters to try out and a Winthrop holster. I think the latter may be the best option but I'll find out next few days. I prefer OWB but sometimes IWB is necessary.

Buy some Winchester PDX1 in 357 Magnum -- it's the best carry round at the moment for a short barrel 357. Can be hard to find but it's out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have one, just got it this year. Few 100, 38 and just 10 round's of 357. It's too powerful in 357 to be using all the time. I was at the range and was asked what gun I was using because the 357 power was shaking on the wall! :eek: Also couldn't hit the side of a barn with the 357 loads, never saw the target where they went..... The 38's went on target just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did you do it...with an aftermarket spring kit or altering the original stock spring? If after market, which one?
Buy the Wolff Taurus m85 spring pak. It's like $13 on ebay or thru various sites. I think it's $12 plus shipping from Wolff directly. Just FYI, I got my pulls from 12/5 to 8/2.75 but I changed after hearing reports saying the 9 lb hammer spring is too light and may cause issues with certain ammo. I love the lighter pull weights but it's a true hair trigger and it could be dangerous for inexperienced shooters. I went back to the factory hammer spring (which Wolff says is 11 lbs) and I can definitely hear a louder "slap" of the hammer hitting the transfer bar. Looking from the side of the cylinder the firing pin is reaching the dummy rounds with either hammer spring installed; however, I'd rather be safe and so I went back to the factory tension. My final pull weights are 8.75 and 2.75 lbs. (The hammer spring will not effect SA pull weight.)

I may give the 9 lb hammer spring a try later but no rush.

PS. Excellent video here on how to install springs:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I HAVE SETTLED ON THE 357 CALIBER IN THE 605 and 617. LOVE THEM BOTH.
I felt stupid and only learned of the 617 after I bought the 605. I didn't feel so bad after seeing the price of the 617 however. The extra +2 rounds would be nice to have though. Do you have a picture of the two side by side? I'm just curious how much larger the cylinder is on the 617 compared to the 605? Are the overall dimensions the same?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome from South Texas.
I grew up in San Antonio... went to Woodstone Elementary school and then got dragged up to the NW to the land of Boeing, Microsoft, Nintendo and Starbucks. Had good memories growing up there in the early 80s. Ah... the days of Quiet Riot and Van Halen!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Buy the Wolff Taurus m85 spring pak. It's like $13 on ebay or thru various sites. I think it's $12 plus shipping from Wolff directly. Just FYI, I got my pulls from 12/5 to 8/2.75 but I changed after hearing reports saying the 9 lb hammer spring is too light and may cause issues with certain ammo. I love the lighter pull weights but it's a true hair trigger and it could be dangerous for inexperienced shooters. I went back to the factory hammer spring (which Wolff says is 11 lbs) and I can definitely hear a louder "slap" of the hammer hitting the transfer bar. Looking from the side of the cylinder the firing pin is reaching the dummy rounds with either hammer spring installed; however, I'd rather be safe and so I went back to the factory tension. My final pull weights are 8.75 and 2.75 lbs. (The hammer spring will not effect SA pull weight.)

I may give the 9 lb hammer spring a try later but no rush.

PS. Excellent video here on how to install springs:

Excellent post! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts