Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm copying this over from my thread on the high road, hopefully we can get it figured out

Having a slight issue with my relatively new Taurus 605 (2" 357 mag).

[Please excuse my lack of knowledge of the technical names for the parts]

On the extractor, there is a small "button" in the center, which locks the cylinder into the frame, and also release the mechanism that prevents the trigger from being pulled while the cylinder is out (transfer bar?). This button is stuck in the depressed position, which means the cylinder will not lock into the frame and obviously the gun won't operate.

According to Taurus, its just dirty (roughly 150 rounds through the gun ), and I need to soak the extractor in break free and the button will pop lose. Doesn't sound like it to me, but I'm trying it anyway.

My specific questions:
-Anyone experience this or have any idea how to fix it?
-How do you disassemble the cylinder/yoke assembly so I can remove the extractor and examine this stuff more closely?

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I've had that problem with my 651.
I suggest you print out the parts diagram from the Taurus site then set up a well lit, clean work area with a few shop towels. The extractor has left hand thread and take note of the direction of the cylinder spacer if you remove the cylinder while you taking things apart.
I filed and polished my center pin a few months ago and have hade ZERO problems since. Here's my story: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2058.0

·
Super Moderator
35,007 Posts
Pull the front frame screw out, open the cylinder and pull forward. The cylinder and yoke will extract from the gun. I'd try soaking it in marvel mystery oil, some good stuff. I soak my fishing reels in it after use (salt water) and have freed up reels that were crusty with the stuff. Besides, it smells yummy. :D

Absent that, you can remove the works by unscrewing (reverse thread) the ejector rod.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing happened in my 617 Ti and has been one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced with a gun. It's also been the reason I've had to send it back to Taurus three times. Is there a diagram to rectify this problem?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Center pin removal and reapir

I'm sorry to read that Taurus couldn't fix this common complaint.
Here's how to fix it yourself.
As always, empty the gun and work in a clean well lighted area.
I put a piece of white freezer paper on the kitchen counter top.
Using a pair of pliers hold the extractor rods knurled end, then twisted the cylinder (left hand thread) to loosen and then unscrew the rod.
I use a screwdriver to push the extractor out.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h.../651 Taurus/?action=view&current=IMG_2142.jpg
Then turn the extractor down to let the center pin spring come out and use a brass punch to push out the center pin, you may have to tap on the pin to get it out.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h.../651 Taurus/?action=view&current=IMG_2144.jpg
It'll probably be rough and dirty.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h.../651 Taurus/?action=view&current=IMG_1792.jpg
After you lightly file, and sand the rough edges smooth put a drop of lube on it and reassemble.
http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h.../651 Taurus/?action=view&current=IMG_1804.jpg
While you have the extractor removed you MAY want to remove the cylinder from the crane to clean it and the crane shaft area. BUT be sure you take note of the cylinder bushing direction. If you have it backwards during reassemble if won't go together correctly.
Also note that the cylinder has two locating pins that must line up with the extractor during reassembly.
I hope I didn't leave anything out but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I did.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ron from Taurus called be a couple weeks ago and left a message regarding the center pin and spring I ordered from them last year. (I was surprised they remembered my order.)
I called them back last Monday and asked for Ron but he wasn't available. When I asked the young lady about the pin and spring she said they were out of stock, she was able to find them when I told her Ron had said they were in. (I guess he pulled them aside for me.) While I had her on the phone I asked about a couple PT1911 parts; firing pin stop, block pin and spring.
They didn't have the block spring but did have the other two. I was ready to give C/C info. and she said it wasn't needed. They were sending the parts for FREE. :) I had the parts by the end of the week.
So, if they have the parts in stock they get them out pretty quick.
If they don't have them at least they keep their notes.
I also received a thumb safety earlier in the week for my PT1911 that I sent in way back last year. (They sent the wrong side, but at least they didn't forget. )
All new parts are installed on these two guns. :D
It took a while but at least they came thru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts