Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tring to decide which gun to buy for ccw the Taurus model 605 2 inch 357 mag or the 617ss 2 inch 357 mag seven shot they both are stainless and there is only 4 onces difference in weight between the two. Which gun has been around longer, or I guess the better question is which gun will hold up better, and has the least problems can anyone help me with this thanks. Well for my Taurus model 85 titanium 38 special 2 inch that has never been fired yet I guess I will sell it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The 605 has been around much longer. But the 617 is a larger gun so it should absorb the pounding of heavy load for a longer period of time before something breaks.

A better question might be do you want a small frame revolver (the 605) that can be put into a pocket or carried on a belt or a medium-ish frame gun (the 617) that won't work well in a pocket (several members here have them) but would give you more grip to hand on to and more rounds on tap? It all depends on what you are looking for.

Steelheart

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 605 is, mostly, for pocket carry. If I were going bigger, like the 617, it would be too cumbersome for the pocket. But, in an IWB or belt holster, it would be an attractive choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 605. The 617 is too large. As I'm skinny, IWB won't work. I guess the real question here is why do you want 7 rounds? Sure, it's nice to have more, but there's no free lunch here. 605 is small, 617 is not. You might be better off (heresy coming) with a Glock 26 (9mm) or 27 (40mm). Close to the same size and slimmer.

If you want an easily concealed snubby, get the 605.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I carry my 617 IWB and my 605 on the week side back pocket. Works for me.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well, I wanted a 357 snubby, but for the price, and capacity, I went with Rossi 461. 6 rds, small size frame, and accurate as a snubby can be. Negatives, Holsters, High dollars ones OK, cheapy holsters hard to ID which ones work. I did look at the 605, and 617 closely before deciding on the Rossi. Could not justify the $ difference for them at the time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How many rounds have you put through that Rossi? I know they mirror the Taurus', but am curious as to how they put a slightly lower price tag on it: what corners were cut or mods made?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I have less than 100 thru my Rossi. All 38's, I was shocked to say that for a 2 1/4" barrel, right out of the box I could shoot it better than my PT111 that I have put over 500 rds thru. Fit and finish was good enough to shock me. Shiny finish, black rather than blue look. Hammer mounted firing pin, but of course it has the bar to keep the hammer from connecting to the primer, unless the hammer is pulled. It has the Taurus locking mechanism in the hammer, just above the grip.

It compares favorably with my son's Ruger SP101, oh and it fits his Galco leather holster too, and is retained if you turn it upside down and shake it.

I got mine for $263 plus taxes. Next closest price when I bought it was over $300 plus FFL and shipping, for a Taurus of any variety of 357.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Unless you just want the .357 instead of the .38, I'd keep the Ti and get one of the other two. I had the 6 shot Rossi, which was great, but a little large, and traded it for my CA Pug, which is about the size of the 605 and conceals very well in my coat pocket. I would like a little lighter snubbie for pants pocket carry and the Ti would really shine there. I'm fairly small and anything over 5 shot is a little hard to conceal. My next revolver will likely be the 651SHC. 5 rounds of .357 & a reload should handle most any civilian problem IMO. If you carried both the .38+p and a .357, you'd have a fast 10 rounds for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.