Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what it's worth:

A brief outing at the range recently with the 450 Titanium, indicated some preferences in its diet. Winchester Super X 255 grain tended to get hung up. Meaning, two or three would fire normally, then the cylinder would lock up, and the hammer would not pull back.

This happened a few times before the range master stopped by and inquired. He portended the "crimp" in the casing of these bullets was cause of cylinder lockup, or feed issue.

Well--left that box sitting there and loaded up from the other box--Hornaday Critical Defense 185 grain. No issues whatsoever with these slick looking nickel cased rounds. Plowed through two pricey boxes of that stuff with my jaw hanging open.

A loud BOOM and a very accurate round, at least up to about 20 feet; ran out of ammo thereafter.

While recoil is manageable (with practice), the percussion, coupled with the sheer size of this defense round, is something to behold.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Most people who own a Titanium snubbie know you can't use cowboy loads in it. Must use a crimped ammo. I use Silvertip myself and find the recoil a non issue. remember it is a snubbie and not a 100 yard revolver. Self defence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most people who own a Titanium snubbie know you can't use cowboy loads in it. Must use a crimped ammo. I use Silvertip myself and find the recoil a non issue. remember it is a snubbie and not a 100 yard revolver. Self defence.
Is a Winchester Super X 255 gr a "cowboy load"? This ammunition is "crimped" according to my eye and range master's comment...

·
Registered
340 Posts
likely the lead in that bullet is too soft to hold the crimp well. in most guns that would be no issue, but with a very light gun the recoil is greater and the fairly light crimp is not enough to hold it. if you know someone who reloads 45colt you could have them run your box through the crimp die to add a bit more. too much crimp on a soft bullet and the accuracy may go to pot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.