Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my "which one would you keep" thread I stated that I may have to sell my 40 (G2 24/7 full size) I may not have to sell it afterall. Besides the 1911, what taurus . 45 series would be a excellent choice, I excluded the1911 series cause I basicly want to trade straight up.

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
Starting to hear good things about the G2, although some say that the trigger pull is difficult to get used to. I haven't shot it so I don't know that first-hand. I've owned the 24/7 Pro and I think the gun is great - long smooth trigger pull and very ergonomic. I also own a PT145 and it's almost a mirror of the 24/7 Pro, but not quite as ergonomic. The 845 has an external hammer and I've never shot it.

They're all supposed to be good guns, so just pick the one that feels right for you. Go to a showroom and hold each of them, look them over, and make your decision. ;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
BOO on the NO 1911....however the above post sums it all up well.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
There are many happy PT145 owners who frequent this forum...and there's about to be one more (ME).

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've had 'issues' but still optimistic about the G2C-45. As stated, the trigger does take a bit of work, but I imagine it'll be about the same as your 40. I've heard lots of good things about the 945 also, but have no hands on experience.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Taurus PT145 Mil Pro owner here.
I like mine and carry it. Trigger is decent but has some travel to it. Wish I could get it shortened. At first, I had the slide locking on me after every few rounds. After about 400 rounds, It doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Also, The sights are horrible IMO. I'm going to get them changed because I constantly hit low with the Straight/Hienie 8 sights. Recoil is noticeable but not uncomfortable for that matter. Grip fits well and conceals good with a decent holster. I do print a bit from the butt of the grip in my Uncle Mikes Holster and sometimes I don't depending on how I am dressed.

I have never had a failure to fire with it. I did have a few stove pipes and such but since I have been reloading for it, I don't get that problem much. It did it mostly when it was new.
I would try to rent it or if a friend or relative has it, Ask them if you can put a box thru it and see how you like it. I have no real complaints about mine other than those horrible sights!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also, The sights are horrible IMO. I'm going to get them changed because I constantly hit low with the straight/heinne 8 sights
Are you using the sights correctly? I have the straight 8 sights on my PT1911 and they hit dead on once I researched and found that I need to aim directly where I want the POI to be. In other words most traditional sights have you aiming with the top of the sight placed at the very bottom of your imtended target, the straight 8 has you cover the imtended target with the upper circle of the 8. I have a diagram in the thread titled " Something to consider before buying a PT1911". Thought maybe this could help as I love my straight 8 sights.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
+1 on the PT145.

Also, if you can get the OSS .45, I would highly recommend it. I just bought the black one from Bud's @ $327 and I really love it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Are you using the sights correctly? I have the straight 8 sights on my PT1911 and they hit dead on once I researched and found that I need to aim directly where I want the POI to be. In other words most traditional sights have you aiming with the top of the sight placed at the very bottom of your imtended target, the straight 8 has you cover the imtended target with the upper circle of the 8. I have a diagram in the thread titled " Something to consider before buying a PT1911". Thought maybe this could help as I love my straight 8 sights.
Yes sir, I have tried the traditional method and the way your saying to no avail! I do think it's me tho....Maybe I should give factory ammo another shot. ( No pun intended )

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes sir, I have tried the traditional method and the way your saying to no avail! I do think it's me tho....Maybe I should give factory ammo another shot. ( No pun intended )
Well a little advice never hurt, Good luck on making that thing a tack driver.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I agree with IDLE about the sights, and have never had a problem with them. I was using that style on several different handguns before Taurus started using them. I have a private range at home and coach different people. It is not uncommon for people to shoot low with 45's for several reasons. I have been shooting over 50 years. Even as an old dog I have a good shooter watch me when I start having bad groups. Usually someone that really understands shooting can watch for a few minutes and see where you have started screwing up. Grip changes cause group changes. A shooters wheel tells you from where the group prints what to look for. Good groups requires being consistent in every thing, every shot. Lot of the stray shots in a group can be called as a miss. Some are because you changed grip or did something else different.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Personally I love my PT145. The way the heinie sights were setup from the factory the strike of the round occurred inside the dot instead of on top and in the center of the front blade. I changed 'em out for sights of the proper height, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's pretty darn accurate. Tin cans at 25 yards are pretty easy. I've got some custom mods on mine, but there's really nothing wrong with 'em the way they come. But as far as 45's are concerned - I don't think I've ever met one I didn't like. I've been in love with that round since the first time I fired one when I was 11.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well a little advice never hurt, Good luck on making that thing a tack driver.
Im sorry, I did not mean for that to be offensive if it came off like that for any reason.
Maybe I just need better practice with it. Small gun + .45 = Decent amount of recoil, Plus I know my stance is not the best for that matter.

Thank you for the advice. But I would still try the PT145 Mil Pro to keep this OT

·
Registered
81 Posts
Where would a dummy find that thread?

·
Administrator
17,913 Posts
Suppose it depends upon which size of Pistol you want:

Full Size Duty Pistol: .45 24/7 OSS ( I own one and love it!)

Standard Size Duty Pistol : Standard .45 24/7 Pro or Pro DS ( on my shopping list) PT845

Small CCW : PT145 ( have been thinking about one of these too - maybe)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I had a pt-111 mil pro. I liked it's size and how it looked. but i hated the sights/ 6in low at PROPER figure-8 sighting (yes i get how it was supposed to work) traded it for a first gen pt-99 and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
11,127 Posts
Im sorry, I did not mean for that to be offensive if it came off like that for any reason.
Maybe I just need better practice with it. Small gun + .45 = Decent amount of recoil, Plus I know my stance is not the best for that matter.

Thank you for the advice. But I would still try the PT145 Mil Pro to keep this OT
I own a PT145 and find it has less felt recoil that the 1911s, or the Ruger P90 that I own. I attribute this to the recoil spring that Taurus designed for the MilPro series of pistols. Everything about that series just seems to have been very well thought out (or maybe after 3 generations they just got all the bugs worked out).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts