Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently am trying to find a 6 1/2 or 8 3/4 barrel for my 44..came wit the 4in just want little more range to it, like to use it for hunting due to the dense woods i hunt if anyone knows of a place i could find one or if someone has one it be a big help.. thx yall.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Okay. I don't know that it will be that easy to find what you are looking for. Perhaps a member has one. Most of the word I have heard on the forum regarding acquiring replacement barrels is that they are hard to come by.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya heard same thing by my smith he tried getting one from taurus but all they had left was a blued one.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have the Tracker 44 mag in both stainless and blue. The blue is more of a black finish than a blue. Looks like a baked on Epoxy or something. Same finish on all their blued guns I own. I like the Tracker 44 mags and hunt with them, but deer down here are a lot smaller than the game you have up there. Length of cylinder will limit what you can handload for it. I limit the Trackers to 240 grain and lighter bullet loads. Some 240 grain Keith style swc are too long and to use them I load down and use 44 special cases. I use Rugers in the Redhawk or blackhawk for heavy loads.
For what it is worth I tried to buy a barrel for a Tracker in 45 acp and Taurus would not sell one. Said only way they replaced barrels was to put back same length barrel that came on the gun. I wanted a shorter barrel and just had it cut to length I wanted. Good luck on a barrel, that is why I ended up buying extra guns of the same caliber.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yep the 6.5 inch Stainless .44 Trackers are hard to come by these days and the blued ones are getting to be that way too. The only 8 3/8 inch Tracker barrel I have seen is on the .17hmr that they did a limited run on some time back. OldRedneck is right about the chamber length on those Trackers too, you might have more luck going with a Raging Bull. The RB's get you the longer clylinder and an extra shot but they are quite a bit bigger overall.

I like the idea of going with a blued barrel and cylinder on a stainless frame. Most likely be one of kind if you could pull it off. Good luck!

Coop

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure about whether or not the threading would work, but there are lots of examples of gunsmiths using the frames from one company and the barrels from another. I've seen some very nice "Smith & Ruger" revolvers. There shouldn't be much difficulty finding the barrel of a 629 or a SBH. Worth a shot if you want to stick with stainless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts