Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 3" 90% SS taurus 431 this past weekend. I think I could get it for ~$400 otd. I dont know what the bluebook is on this pistol. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 431 and 441 models are getting hard to find. They are extremely good guns.

I was recently lucky to find this one from a gent in MI, $250. plus $25 for Fedex to ship to my FFL.

Be advised these guns have over-size cylinder throats of about .433 or .434 diameter. But if you reload, just use at least .432 cast bullets and a good powder like Trail Boss, Titegroup, Clays.

A little hollow base on the bullets bottom helps too.

Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
i for the life of me cannot understand why one of the local don't pick production of the 44 special. there seems to be enough interest to maybe put out a limited run. tracker is right you do not see alot of 44
specials for sale,especially the 6" barrel.

i'm hooked on them, i'm really getting into my cimarron 44 special,and
i'm about to drop off my ruger blackhawk 4 5/8" to convert to a 44 special.

sometimes you have to add in the me value, that helps to make the gun seem like a good deal.

be careful the 44 special is very addictive. dan

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi 50/50, what size bullet are you shooting in your six inch Taurus .44 special.

I recently had a local area machinest make me a swageing die to bump up bullets to .433 diameter, but alas, he couldn't find a boring bit to handle the 2.5 inch length of the die body...it came out .437 which is way too big for .44 special.

When this failed, I decided that .433 was a tad too big anyway, it needs to be no bigger than .432. So, he's making another die body with all the necessary threads, but not attempting to drill out the required .432 diameter I've changed horses on.

The Taurus has the larger cylinder throats of .434 diameter, and cast bullets will work pretty good if at least .431 or .432 diameter...and a little 1/8 to 1/4 inch hollow base on the bottom of the bullet helps too.

Or, you can just use gas checked bullets without hollow basing. But even these can be improved with a slightly swaged dimple on the GCs base. I can do this because I'm envolved with bullet swageing equipment.

Winter snows have arrived up here in northern Wisconsin, temperatures have fallen down into teens and below, cannot get to the range at my age like the young deer hunters do here abouts.

Guess I'm looking at next spring to go shooten again.

TB C45

·
Registered
96 Posts
tracker i think that storm is headin for mi. my friend in ostego county called and said do not bother coming up they under heavy snow advisory,could get 8"
and winds to 35 mph. told him to call me tomorrow night see if storm breaks.
if it does friday could be a decent day.

as for the 44 special i've been shooting 430 240 gr lswc,seem to do ok out of both 44s and some 250 gr loaded with 2400 whcih is a very accurate load.

if and when i get the ruger conversion done , i should be able to up the ante a bit.

hopefully, i can sneak a session or two before it gets too cold.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do you have any leading problem in the forcing cone entering the barrel rifling.

Are any of your fired brass cases sooty black with blow-by powder flash.

TB C45

·
Registered
275 Posts
While four hundred is a lot of bucks, its all in how bad you want a .44 special in 3 inch barrel...and the condition the gun is in. You can't buy a .44 special in other makes for that price... can you? (not counting the Charter Arms Bulldog)

My 441 locks up tight right on the money.

Right now its my favorite and I own two older S&W .44 specials.

TB C45

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My step dad carried an old charter .44 bulldog for years. It held up pretty well...but he only put ~150 rounds/year through it! I plan on using the 431 as an occasional ccw but my main woods/camping revolver.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the crookied politicians in my state every decide to honor the 2nd Amendment like most of the other states have, I'll be getting a CCW to carry the model 441.

I will also carry couple HKs five shot speed loaders available from MidwayUSA.

TB C45

1 - 11 of 11 Posts