Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can anyone please tell me their thoughts on Taurus handguns? Folks are telling me to get a Ruger or a Smith.., I thinking about getting the 4 inch ported,I think mod 44. Not sure.. I cast all my own bullets as well,for 44 and 357. So tell me what you think.. thanks, johnnyjr
You can spend more money for the same quality, but why? I own 4 Taurus - Tauri? - and love every one of them.

Reactions: Johnnyjr

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Taurus 44 in 4" and 6 1/2". No complaints with either. I only shoot factory loads in them.
I've been thinking about getting a .44Mag revolver for some time now, as I had sold me previous 2: A Ruger Redhawk and a PowerCustom 629 Grand Master, used for Pin Shooting. I only shot light "pin loads" through the Grand Master, and everything else through the Redhawk. I am curious, I know that some Taurus revolvers have dual lockup, but I'm wondering if there's anything in the Model 44, 6 1/2" that secures the crane into the frame, like a detent? Thanks! Mark

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a .44Mag revolver for some time now, as I had sold me previous 2: A Ruger Redhawk and a PowerCustom 629 Grand Master, used for Pin Shooting. I only shot light "pin loads" through the Grand Master, and everything else through the Redhawk. I am curious, I know that some Taurus revolvers have dual lockup, but I'm wondering if there's anything in the Model 44, 6 1/2" that secures the crane into the frame, like a detent? Thanks! Mark
Yes, there is a detent on the frame of my .44, .357 and .38 Taurus revolvers. Instead of a ball, Taurus uses a pin on the top of the crane resembles the latch on a door knob. Seems to work very well.

·
Registered
Have more then you have room to list them
25 Posts
Personally I own all three of the mentioned manufacture’s guns. You might get a better fit and finish with the smith or ruger. But I don’t think it’s worth the extra cost with them. Also everyone builds junk from time to time. They all seem to have problems. So use your own judgement find one you like and go with it. Wrong or right you made a choice. I like my Taurus revolvers but I also like my Smiths and my Rugers if I didn’t like them I would not own them. I will say Taurus has been kicking it up a notch as far as quality goes they have made improvements.
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can anyone please tell me their thoughts on Taurus handguns? Folks are telling me to get a Ruger or a Smith.., I thinking about getting the 4 inch ported,I think mod 44. Not sure.. I cast all my own bullets as well,for 44 and 357. So tell me what you think.. thanks, johnnyjr
I recommend Taurus revolvers with only one condition: look it over carefully before taking it home. Now, I advise that as a matter of course for buying ANY gun, but Taurus did have to cut somewhere in order to keep their prices so low - and IMHO they did it by not hiring the brightest final inspectors. They kinda let more than their share of "lemons" out of the shop (although, to be fair, even my all-time-favorite S&Ws have been hiring the inspectors that couldn't even make it at Hi-Point these last few years - you couldn't pay me to get a new S&W revolver made after 2000!!!)
I have several Taurus guns - a pair of '90s-vintage 431 Specials and a 905 9mm among them - and they are some of the best-finished, superbly-fitted guns in my accumulation. I get good reviews from even my snobby S&W friends.
Buy the Bull. IMHO, you will not be disappointed (but check it over!!!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I recommend Taurus revolvers with only one condition: look it over carefully before taking it home. Now, I advise that as a matter of course for buying ANY gun, but Taurus did have to cut somewhere in order to keep their prices so low - and IMHO they did it by not hiring the brightest final inspectors. They kinda let more than their share of "lemons" out of the shop (although, to be fair, even my all-time-favorite S&Ws have been hiring the inspectors that couldn't even make it at Hi-Point these last few years - you couldn't pay me to get a new S&W revolver made after 2000!!!)
I have several Taurus guns - a pair of '90s-vintage 431 Specials and a 905 9mm among them - and they are some of the best-finished, superbly-fitted guns in my accumulation. I get good reviews from even my snobby S&W friends.
Buy the Bull. IMHO, you will not be disappointed (but check it over!!!)
I looked it all over good. Tried the double action as well. Anyway I bought it. So time will tell. Most is my loads will be 44 special. I love that round.. Appreciate your reply..john

·
Registered
103 Posts
I looked it all over good. Tried the double action as well. Anyway I bought it.
I agree with most of the comments here. I've never had a complaint with any of my Taurus revolvers either. I've seen a few between the gun shows and such that are sloppy. As long as you can look it over and check it out, I think Taurus overs some good guns and better prices. My only complaint with your selection is that I don't like ported barrels, but that's mostly just a personal preference.
Glad you got your gun. Hope you enjoy it. Come back after the get to shoot it a bit and give us a review.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Tracker 5-round cylinder is 40mm long and the "large frame" 6-round cylinder is 44mm long according to Taurus.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The Tracker 5-round cylinder is 40mm long and the "large frame" 6-round cylinder is 44mm long according to Taurus.
So there really is a cylinder length difference then. 4 mm doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with small moving parts and mechanical action, that's more than it takes to make a big difference. Or shut down the gun entirely. Good info to have. Thanks for looking that up @crossfire

·
Registered
369 Posts
So there really is a cylinder length difference then. 4 mm doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with small moving parts and mechanical action, that's more than it takes to make a big difference. Or shut down the gun entirely. Good info to have. Thanks for looking that up @crossfire
That 4mm difference is enough to let me seat the 180gr Hornady XTP to it's lower cannelure for an OAL of 1.705" in my .357 Mag M607. (Same gun as the M44). The cylinder on these revolvers is also slightly larger in diameter than a S&W N-frame.

·
Registered
Wheel guns for me.
19 Posts
Like any firearms mfg. you always find q.c. problems. Taurus has always solved mine in a speedy way.

·
Registered
30,008 Posts
I have multiple Taurus revolvers and dont have any major issues.

The spring on a .22 Taurus revolver I own requires hydraulics in DA but is perfect in SA :D.

I do have a Taurus Tracker in 44 and it has one of the best actions of any revolver I have shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a few taurus revolvers (.22 wmr, .357 mag, .44 mag, and a Raging Judge Magnum that I've shot quite a bit of .454 casull through) and have traded off a couple. Have only had issues with 1... the RJM. Had lockup problems with it after the first 20 rounds. Then the cylinder locked up completely. Sent it back to the mfr., and haven't had a problem since (4-5 years). If you're not looking for something Taurus doesn't make (.460, .500, or a certain firearm like the S&W TRR8 that's on my wish list), Taurus goes bang for a lot less money. I have just as much fun and function with my Taurus revolvers as I do with and others.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a few taurus revolvers (.22 wmr, .357 mag, .44 mag, and a Raging Judge Magnum that I've shot quite a bit of .454 casull through) and have traded off a couple. Have only had issues with 1... the RJM. Had lockup problems with it after the first 20 rounds. Then the cylinder locked up completely. Sent it back to the mfr., and haven't had a problem since (4-5 years). If you're not looking for something Taurus doesn't make (.460, .500, or a certain firearm like the S&W TRR8 that's on my wish list), Taurus goes bang for a lot less money. I have just as much fun and function with my Taurus revolvers as I do with and others.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Taurus makes the Raging Hunter in 460. It’d be a cold day in hell before I’d give them what they want for one, but I don’t need one, I have a S&W 460, and a 500.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Personal care Gun accessory

21 - 38 of 38 Posts