Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me their thoughts on Taurus handguns? Folks are telling me to get a Ruger or a Smith.., I thinking about getting the 4 inch ported,I think mod 44. Not sure.. I cast all my own bullets as well,for 44 and 357. So tell me what you think.. thanks, johnnyjr

Registered
Having owned several Taurus revolvers, it's my humble opinion that there's no real world benefit to spending the extra money on a similar Ruger or S&W. If they offer a gun that specifically appeals to me, well that's a different subject.

Registered
I try to do my own research when buying a new gun, and so far I've done well. In 1993 I purchased a Taurus 85. A few months later I purchased a Taurus 689. In march of this year I purchased a 905, and in Oct a 605. Inbetween I have purchased Ruger, S&W, Dan Wesson, Cimorron revolvers, The early Taurus' are still trouble free and have fit and finishes that equal any revolver I own. The latest are matte stainless steel and fit and finish is excellent and great function/accuracy (the 9mm is a hoot!). I have had no problems with any Taurus revolver and I've shot factory and handloads through them, a lot of various handloads (and some max 160 gr LSWC loads in the 357 Mag,).

I kinda skipped over the Taurus in 44 mainly because I already have 5, 44 Magnum guns, but the SS 4" M44 is lookin' real good....

Super Moderator
Taurus revolvers have always stood as a great gun for your money. There's lemons in every brand but I believe Taurus has stood strong with their revolvers. Happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnnyjr

Registered
G3. Tracker .44.
Can anyone please tell me their thoughts on Taurus handguns? Folks are telling me to get a Ruger or a Smith.., I thinking about getting the 4 inch ported,I think mod 44. Not sure.. I cast all my own bullets as well,for 44 and 357. So tell me what you think.. thanks, johnnyjr
I have that exact revolver. I got it on a trade. It was heavily used before I got ahold of it. I personally have only owned it a week but have put alot through it. There are alot of complaints about cylinder lockup and timing issues but I have none of those and the previous owner claimed he didn't either. The only thing to be aware of is it does have a shorter cylinder than most .44 so some of the bigger grain bullets simply will not allow you to close the cylinder. Other than that. Fantastic firearm.

Registered
G3. Tracker .44.
I have that exact revolver. I got it on a trade. It was heavily used before I got ahold of it. I personally have only owned it a week but have put alot through it. There are alot of complaints about cylinder lockup and timing issues but I have none of those and the previous owner claimed he didn't either. The only thing to be aware of is it does have a shorter cylinder than most .44 so some of the bigger grain bullets simply will not allow you to close the cylinder. Other than that. Fantastic firearm.
I should clarify, by big I mean the 300 and up Buffalo bore bear loads and etc, you doing your own work I'm more than sure you will find the perfect recipe. Go for it, "pull the trigger" "bite the bullet"

Registered
I just purchased the Taurus M44. Great weapon. I collect revolvers and have a wide verity of S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc. I recently purchased several Taurus revolvers and I like them all. I have installed Galloway Precision spring kits in several of them, including my M44 to improve the triggers. Taurus makes fine revolvers, especially for the price.

Might be a difference in resale value.

Offhand, I'd expect a Taurus DA to have a better trigger than a Ruger DA. Maybe I've just had really bad luck with Ruger DAs and very, very good luck with Taurus DA triggers. But that's been my experience.

Reactions: Johnnyjr

Registered
The replies may well get you more confused than convinced. We only know what we've experienced first hand. There may be a good deal of speculation and opinions based upon third of fourth hand "information." Best thing to do is to rent one, shoot it, and if you like it, buy it. That said, I will offer my educated opinion based on two Taurus 94's in .22lr. Fit and finish are very good. Mechanics are very good. I use them both for my 4-H Shooting Sports program. Each have upwards of 10K rounds down range. I've had them for 12 years. I am anal about cleaning and maintaining my guns - comes from 10 years Military. So, my guns - all of them - are well maintained and in good condition. I have had no problems with either gun, and would buy them again. For what it's worth.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, your right. I only pay attention to about have what I read on the web. No doubt some options are from someone that has never even had a handgun. The only comment that caught my attention was the post that said the cylinder was shorter.?? That maybe my 256 grain hollow points might not fit. I just got this new mold. I do know they're to long to feed thru my Henry 44 rifle. So I have to load the in 44 special. Where I gain nothing..

Registered
I've got the Taurus M44 4" with ported barrel and I reload for it with both mag and special. It's a great revolver, I've never had any issues with it.

While I won't shoot them in this, I do have a box of the Buffalo Bore Heavy 44 Mag +P+ 305gr, and they do fit in the cylinder and it does close. I haven't found a cartridge that doesn't fit it.

Registered
G3. Tracker .44.
Yep, your right. I only pay attention to about have what I read on the web. No doubt some options are from someone that has never even had a handgun. The only comment that caught my attention was the post that said the cylinder was shorter.?? That maybe my 256 grain hollow points might not fit. I just got this new mold. I do know they're to long to feed thru my Henry 44 rifle. So I have to load the in 44 special. Where I gain nothing..
I'd like to add that when I originally read and commented I was thinking the 4in tracker .44 5 shot model. The m44 may not have the cylinder issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Registered
G3. Tracker .44.
If you're asking me I do not know for the m44, if you'd like to know the tracker I can measure sometime this afternoon

1 - 20 of 38 Posts