Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have a COlt 1911-45ACP and after I went thru $50 of rounds, I thought I would look for a 1911 in 9mm or 38. 38 Super seem to cost close to 45's, 9mm seems to be quite a bit cheaper. Is this just a temporary supply and demand thing?

My real questions is: I was looking on Taurus website and they show new models with this description:
"Been craving a Taurus 1911 with different ammo choices? Well, the wait is over. We're now offering our popular 1911 model with 9+1 (11+1 with extended magazine) capacity in both 9mm and .38 Super. Want more? The new 1911 HC gives you four more shots than the old model with a 12+1 capacity of powerful .45 ammunition. With all these choices it's easy to see why Taurus is quickly becoming the leader in high-performance 1911s."

Does this mean one handgun will shoot both 9mm and 38 Super? Has anyone bought one of these? Maybe, I am reading it wrong, but they don't show 1911 -in 38 cal, only 9mm.

Thanks for any help,
Saltare

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i could be wrong but i think in 2012 Taurus is only making 1911's in .45acp and 9mm. i haven't seen anything about the extended mags. or the 1911 HC. as far as shooting both .38 super and 9mm, no the same pistol won't shoot both calibers.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
I believe that OSO is correct, the 38 Super in all 1911's is a discontinued item, at least to American clients!
the cost of 38 super ammo is about the same as 45 acp amo and the availbility is worse by far.
while it is a wonderful cartridge being developed especially for the 1911 and still being only surpassed in power by semi auto calibers as the 10 MM and 357 Sig sauer, it is not a popular caliber in the USA.
as for using the same cartridge in the same gun! nope while the 38 super is a 9mm (.355) diameter round it operates at a higher pressure and the case is completely different,as both cases rest on the rim of the case then one would be to short (9mm)to use in the the gun(38 super) , the other would be to long to chamber in the 9 mm.
I do not think Taurus has ever produced the multi round 1911 and doubt if they ever will, stacked magazine 1911's were pretty much a flash in the pan some years ago and most are not popular now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I plan to use this pistol for target shooting, so is 9mm the way to go? It looks like the 9mm ammo is about half the cost of 45ACP ammo , will it be half the thrill of a 45?

·
Registered
251 Posts
, will it be half the thrill of a 45?
Nope. You'll love every round of 9mm through your PT1911. At least I do. I've shot a few .45 1911's and my 24/7 is chambered in the same and I'll shoot my 1911 three times as much at the range as my 24/7

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 38 Super is no longer in the Taurus catalog. However they are still available. They are made for distributers. i got mine thru CDNN Investments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have PT-1911's in 45 ACP, 38 Super, and 9MM. I have Chip McCormick magazines for the 45. I will be ordering CM magazines for the 38 Super soon. CM doesn't make magazines for 9MM. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have always loved 1911s in other calibers than .45. Personally, the .38 super is a great round with a lot of punch to it, and if you order from a bigger supply house availability is generally not a problem. But if you really like the 9mm, go for it. I wish that Taurus was making one of their 1911s in .40 -- that would just about be a deal clincher for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always loved 1911s in other calibers than .45. Personally, the .38 super is a great round with a lot of punch to it, and if you order from a bigger supply house availability is generally not a problem. But if you really like the 9mm, go for it. I wish that Taurus was making one of their 1911s in .40 -- that would just about be a deal clincher for me.
I have several of the Spanish pistols chambered for 9MM Largo. I would like to have a PT-1911 in that caliber.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
Thanks for the help, I plan to use this pistol for target shooting, so is 9mm the way to go? It looks like the 9mm ammo is about half the cost of 45ACP ammo , will it be half the thrill of a 45?
Likey so!-LOL
well at least a 30% let down, lets see .451 minus about 30% is about .355 isn't it??
if you are looking for a target round and want a 1911 frame then the 9 mm only makes sense to me!
well unless you reload, then the 38 super makes sense as well!

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
The 38 Super is no longer in the Taurus catalog. However they are still available. They are made for distributers. i got mine thru CDNN Investments.
I think not!
now Taurus MIGHT make a special run of pistols for a distrubutor that would order a couple train fulls on a special production, but CDNN is basically a clearance house for most manufactures and i think they aquired a large volume of Pt1911-38 Supers fom Taurus at a good price and offer them as closeout specials, as dictated by the rpice.
They simply bought up a bunch of discontinued models of Tauurs weapons.
IF you notice they have a lot of Taurus models on sale and i think almsot all are now discontnued by Taurus.
several companies have been doing this and having great prices on different weapons.- TCP 732, 24/7 , 32 H & R magnum revolvers, pt 1911 AL, Pt 1911 38 supers, etc.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
I have PT-1911's in 45 ACP, 38 Super, and 9MM. I have Chip McCormick magazines for the 45. I will be ordering CM magazines for the 38 Super soon. CM doesn't make magazines for 9MM. Any recommendations?
can't say for every magazine made but normally the only difference in the 9 mm magazine and the 38 super magazine is a spacer in the 9 mm magazine.
take a look at a 38 super mag and see if it wouldn't work if a spacer was added for the 9 mm?
got to remember that the 38 super (38 auto) was around in a 1911 magazine well before the 9 mm was introduced , so most 1911 mags are simply 38 super mags, don't know about each independent manufacture of magazines though.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
I have several of the Spanish pistols chambered for 9MM Largo. I would like to have a PT-1911 in that caliber.
what would get my attention in a PT 1911 would be the 10 MM, and the 357 Sig Sauer, I mean if i am going to have a 10 mm hole in the barrel why limit it to the power of the 40 cal, and if I have to have a 9mm hole in the barrel why limit it to the 9mm when the 38 super and 357 are better calibers ?
of course i like V-8 engines in muscle cars too!-LOL

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
The .38 super is a good cartridge, but nowadays is somewhat like the .41 mag.

Both are only being kept alive by their respective cult followers.

Using "commercial" ammo I personally see no great advantage the .38 super has over the 9mm.

Companies like Cor Bon sell 9mm ammo in the 1350+ FPS range.

Handloading is a different proposition; handloaders can go with slightly heavier bullets at increased velocities.

The advantage the 9mm has is availability = World Wide.

Go to any small town sporting goods, hardware or Ma & Pa Dry Goods store and you'll most likely be able to fine 9mm ammo; not so with the .38 super.

Another advantage is cost; bulk packed 9mm is substantially cheaper.

And last but not least, accuracy; generally speaking a box stock 9mm is inherently more accurate than a box stock .38 super.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
Moon while many of the points that you make are valid, when comparing apples to apples the 38 Super cartridge out perfroms the 9mm in all areas.
in any like factory loading the 38 super is normally in the 150-200 FPS range faster, it is also better adaptable to heavier projectiles than the 9mm.
I believe the Corbon that you mention in the 9MM for example is in the 1500 plus FPS range for the 38 super.
very simply if you take 2 projectiles of the same diameter and weight then the cartridge that has the most usable case capacity is going to be the superior cartridge and that is the case in the 9 MM VS 38 super comparison.
this is of course assuming that the weapon can withstand the pressure to fully utilize the case capacity and charge of powder, which again is the case in the 9MM VS 38 super.
as for accuracy vs the 9MM, since the reinvention of the head spacing on the 38 super accuracy is more determined by the shooter and the weapon than the cartridge.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
well i am going to have to jump on a Taurus 1911 in .38 super while i can still get one. i always wanted that caliber, just never got around to buying one some other firearm always came up. i agree with you Olfarhors i would love to see taurus make a 1911 in 10mm. i reload so i am not worried about ammo cost in .38 super or 10 mm.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
well i am going to have to jump on a Taurus 1911 in .38 super while i can still get one. i always wanted that caliber, just never got around to buying one some other firearm always came up. i agree with you Olfarhors i would love to see taurus make a 1911 in 10mm. i reload so i am not worried about ammo cost in .38 super or 10 mm.
You know about CDNN having them on sale?
399 for blue and 449 for stainless I think it is.
they have the rail and the gold hilights however.
I would have already picked up a blue one if they had the regular blue available.
I am still on the fence about getting one before they get gone!
i picked up my stainless (no rail , no gold) for 429 from them several months back.
And I certainly don't mean to imply that the 38 Super is the caliber to beat all other calibers, if you don't reload then its a pain to find ammo and it cost about the same as 45 Acp ammo here if you do find it.
so The 9MM is the way to go if you don't reload and want a cheap 1911 to shoot.
like you I do reload so its not a problem for me, as neither would be the 10MM.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i want a pt 1911 in .38 super but i don't care for the rails on 1911's or the gold highlights, hopefully i can find one without the rail and the gold. as far as the .38 super it is popular in the compitition shooting for those who use the 1911 platform,but in general with the average shooter it isn't.

·
Registered
36,457 Posts
i want a pt 1911 in .38 super but i don't care for the rails on 1911's or the gold highlights, hopefully i can find one without the rail and the gold. as far as the .38 super it is popular in the compitition shooting for those who use the 1911 platform,but in general with the average shooter it isn't.
hey IF you run across a Blue PT1911 38 super(regular) let us know I am looking for one if a decent price on it.
I have checked all the local spots and none are out there except at 600 plus bucks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
the search is on if i find any i will let you know. i do buy through a dealer who seeems to have the ability to find pretty much anything i will check with him tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts