Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a Taurus 5-shot DA revolver that is very close to a S&W Model Chief Special. I think it's chrome, though it may be SS (very highly polished). The only thing is it doesn't have a hammer spur. It as a frame mounted firing pin, and the hammer when in the down position follows the contour of the frame and is also highly polished. It says 2789 on one line and 85 below it in the frame opening where it meets the crane. I'd guess it's a model 85, but I haven't seen one without a hammer spur. Any ideas?
IMAG0372.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes it is a 85. I have one in blue, double action only, no hammer. Yours looks like it might be nickel. Mine was purchased back in the 90's.I went back and checked my records and mine was purchased new in 1994.

Reactions: ArmyCop and leejack

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 6" model 66 in the late 80's that was satin nickel. Not sure if they ever made any bright nickel.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum, stevet.

That's a fine looking revolver you have there. :D

Reactions: retred94

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a nice firearm. Definitely a factory job on the hammer, too smooth to be cut off.

How do I tell if its stainless steel or nickel? It does appear shinier than all my other stainless steel guns.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Looks stainless to me, nickel tends to be slightly yellow, but you have to have a good eye for subtle colors and of course on a computer monitor it's harder.

Remove the grips and soak it in Ammonia. If the nickel plating falls off, then it's nickel....er.....was nickel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I'll asl Taurus if this model was made in nickel or stainless, and avoid getting ammonia near it! With the bobbed hammer and factory rubber grips it sjould be a fairly distinctive model. But I did look at Taurus online and didn't find a picture eithe under current or discontinued revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Maybe I'll asl Taurus if this model was made in nickel or stainless, and avoid getting ammonia near it! With the bobbed hammer and factory rubber grips it sjould be a fairly distinctive model. But I did look at Taurus online and didn't find a picture eithe under current or discontinued revolvers.
Be careful with Hoppes. I had some seep under the grip on one of my nickel guns and it discolored it. I remove my grips when I clean nickel guns now and be sure to wipe them down really well with a clean dry cloth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. And thanks Quicks Draw for the link. Somehow I missed it when I looked on the Taurus site. this is exactly what it is, the Model 85CHSS. And it's interesting, I compared it to my S&W Model 642 .38spl hammerless stainless steel. They are virtually identical, except for the hammer (the 642 is fully inclosed in the frame and the 85CH is exposed). Even the same weight down to the 1/10 oz!. So I probably needlessly swapped for the S&W, i had thought the 85 was bigger and heavier!

Steve

·
32,706 Posts
Thanks everyone. And thanks Quicks Draw for the link. Somehow I missed it when I looked on the Taurus site. this is exactly what it is, the Model 85CHSS. And it's interesting, I compared it to my S&W Model 642 .38spl hammerless stainless steel. They are virtually identical, except for the hammer (the 642 is fully inclosed in the frame and the 85CH is exposed). Even the same weight down to the 1/10 oz!. So I probably needlessly swapped for the S&W, i had thought the 85 was bigger and heavier!

Steve
Your most welcome.

I've been around the Taurus USA site quite a bit over the years and have some experience navigating their place.With all the changes that Taurus makes to their site learning about their site is almost a full time career. :)

·
32,706 Posts
My 85CH, as old as it is, is a bit heavier than the S&W642. The 642 weighs 15 ounces and the 85CH I have weighs in at 21 ounces.

There was a a 85CHUL, Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

There are 85ULFS series in the 2013 catalog but there are no 85CHs of any kind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More on this. Taurus online s/n lookup says it's a Model 2-850129. There is a CIA 850 in the catalog. but the catalog one has a cylinder release that's sort of triangular, and mine is square (identical to the S&W cylinder release). So anyone familiar with the model 850?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts