Taurus Firearm Forum banner

taurus 327

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  enfoprefect 
#1 ·
I came across a taurus model .327 revolver in a LGS. I can't find much on line about it or the caliber.

Is the gun still in production?

Is the ammo available still?

I think it is a good price....buy/not?

#2 ·
Taurus stopped production about a year ago, give or take. My model 327B2 has proven to be a superb little gun. I really like the cartridge and I cast bullets and hand load it for three 327 revolvers. The Taurus is a good gun, a "keeper", if you will. Ammunition is available, 2 loads from American Eagle and some expensive stuff in 20 round boxes from Federal and CCI. I bought up several hundred rounds of the American Eagle and shot it out so I could hand load it. I've heard that Starline is offering virgin cases now, if you hand load.

#3 ·
I love my 327. It is a great CC pistol and offers one more powerful round than a 38. Ballistics come close to a 357, although with a smaller bullet. I personally like the way it shoots but some say the recoil can be sharp with a 115 gr bullet. Im not recoil sensitive though. Ammo isnt too hard to find but its not too easy either. They are no longer in production. I would pick up another for the right price but the last few I have seen are fetching a pretty penny. I got mine new when CDNN had an email blitz for $199 but havent seen them that cheap again. Freedom Arms has been offering brass if you reload but havent bought any lately so I dont know if they still offer it

#4 ·
This is my hand load for my 327 revolvers. I have the Taurus 327B2 and I have two Charter Arms Target Patriots, one is new in the box-held in reserve, the other is almost 4 years old. This load, pictured, is made up with the Ideal/Lyman #311316 bullet. I cast them and size to .313 and seat a 30 caliber gas check. The red loob is Rooster Zambini. The bullet does not have a crimp groove so i seat it to the depth that works in all my guns and that's it.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I had two Taurus 327 revolvers. Both were great little handguns and I was an idiot to sell them.

The ammo is still available and that is one of the best things about that caliber. You can fire 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long. These are very soft shooting calibers of ammunition that really feel kind of like you're shooting a 22lr. Very low recoil. Very low noise. You can shoot 32 H&R Magnum ammunition that is serious self defense ammo, probably close to a 38 special or a 38+P in terms of power, depending on which load you pick. OR you can shoot the full-powered 327 magnum ammunition that will be - in my opinion - more powerful than a 38 +p or 9mm +P.

So - if you want S&W 32 Long ammo - (sometimes available at Aim Surplus for less than $14/box of 50 - currently available at Natcheszz for $18/box of 50 and on sale at Ammo to Go for $14/box.
Federal has 2 "personal defense" hollow-point loads - one with an 85gr bullet at about 1120fps, and one with a 95gr bullet at about 1020fps. Those will be costly - maybe $18 for a box of 20...

Finally - you can shoot the 327 magnum. It is - to me - like a 357 magnum without all the recoil. But it does make alot of noise and has some recoil. It propells an 85 gr bullet at 1400fps ) or a 100gr bullet at 1500fps. (Cabelas has it on sale right now - $25 / box of 50)
Beyond those loads, Speer had some 115gr loads that I can't find anymore, but Buffalo Bore makes some "heavy loads" for the 32 H&R magnum - 130 grains at 1125 fps, and heavy loads for the 327 magnum: 130gr at 1300fps.

Here are some ballistics on real world loads for the 327 Federal Magnum, in real firearms.

Here's a comparison to 9mm +P ballistics:

From a 3" barrel Ruger Sp101, Speer 115gr ammo travels at 1356fps.
From a 4" Beretta 92, Corbon +p 9mm 115gr ammo travels at 1384fps

The entry hole from the 9mm will be slightly larger, but I'd bet that nobody wants to be hit with EITHER.

SO - is the Taurus 327 a great little revolver? Yes. Yes. Yes. Great size, Great caliber, Great versatility. I'd highly recommend it. You might not be able to get ammo at every local Walmart, but right now, Walmarts in my area are out of 9mm ammo, 22lr ammo, 357 ammo, 38sp ammo, and almost every other caliber too.

#6 ·
As for pricing - gunbroker used to be a reliable source of pricing...
The last NEW ones that sold there sold for between $339 and $420
those prices don't include shipping or FFL fees...

So condition is important. Most of the firearms that I buy at pawnshops are dirty cruddy messes and most of them dont come with boxes, manuals or anything. I've been looking because I want to get another one and I'd say that if I found a used one at a pawnshop for $200-275, and it didn't look all beat up, just dirty, Id get it. If I found one, new, for $330-370, I'd have a hard time walking away from it.

#7 ·
I bought a Ruger sp101 in .327 for my wife, and we are both very happy with the caliber. Ammo choice ranges from mild to wild and if you reload it is a very cheap date.

#9 ·
I recently got a new one. My wife is very recoil sensitive and will not practice with a .38 even light load. She finds .32 S&W in the M327 probably more comfortable than .22LR in the Ruger SR22. She will also practice reasonably with .32 S&W long. In a self defense situation, with the adrenalin kicking in, she would have no problem with a few rounds of H&R magnums. In short, she complained a lot when I came home with a new gun. After shooting it though she brags about it to her friends. We both love it. A few rounds of the full .327 magnums in it, made my .357 owner friend at least a little jealous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.