Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Says they're in 2 and 3 inch. Ten years ago (give or take) the 3" had a ported barrel. Hope that's not the case this time around.
Just saw a release talking about the 3". I forgot about the porting in the old ones. I also hope they don't bring the porting. This is now probably the most exciting thing I've seen released during shot.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The old ones had a MSRP around $475 and were available off the shelf for under $300, often under $250. I'm willing to bet they're going to be WAY more this time around.

You know, I bet you're probably right!
I wonder if my old one might become a collectable? That'd be nice. 😁
I was debating selling it, but if they're going bring back and strengthen the caliber in the market maybe I will keep her.
I love the ballistics of the caliber.
Just not the lack of market support and available ammunition. Y'all think this might shift the market in 327s favor?
I hope so...

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
338 Posts
You know, I bet you're probably right!
I wonder if my old one might become a collectable? That'd be nice. 😁
I was debating selling it, but if they're going bring back and strengthen the caliber in the market maybe I will keep her.
I love the ballistics of the caliber.
Just not the lack of market support and available ammunition. Y'all think this might shift the market in 327s favor?
I hope so...
That's what I'm hoping. Mostly unknown, the .327 is one of my favorites for compact revolvers. It's a surprisingly capable round for PD, and the guns are fun little plinkers when fed .32 S&W rounds.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Says they're in 2 and 3 inch. Ten years ago (give or take) the 3" had a ported barrel. Hope that's not the case this time around.
Taurus' fixation with porting carry guns is why I never bought any of the Trackers and they port everything. My sister has a ported 2" .32mag from the mid 90's.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
338 Posts
Sounds like we're on the same wave length on this one.
Honestly, I could never figure out why the .327 remained unpopular/uncommon. All things considered, it's the ideal compact revolver round. So many people can't handle .357 in a compact platform. .327 is quite manageable for most folks, and you get six instead of five.

·
Registered
Guns? What guns?
338 Posts
From American Rifleman, 2010:

"A .327 Federal Mag. bullet is initially 0.045” smaller in diameter than a 9 mm or .357 Mag. bullet—that’s about the thickness of a potato chip. The .327 Federal Mag. also uses lighter bullets launched at higher velocities. Bullets currently available in factory ammunition retain their weight well and expand at a higher ratio than many .357 Mag. projectiles. (This is the advanced bullet technology touted in advertising and often scoffed at by armchair ballisticians.) This means the .327 Federal Mag.’s projectiles will penetrate similar to 125- and 158-gr. hollow-point bullets from .357 Mag. loads. It also means they are very likely going to damage more tissue because of the higher impact velocities and greater expansion factor. The 115-gr. Gold Dot .312 bullet expands to more than twice its original diameter."

That was twelve years ago when there were few factory .327 loads. Things have only gotten better since.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Agreed %110!
In their (somewhat)defense, when you occasionally do find them without the porting, they're decently made.
The head of their revolver shop needs to be carried to the range, handed one of their ported snubnose .357's and made to fire it from a retention position using a magnum self defense load.

I bet that before his eyebrows grow back, ports will be listed as an 'option' instead of the standard.

Shooting in low light with a ported gun, you only get one good shot- the first one. Even the little .32Mag I mentioned above throws a fireball out of the ports the size of a basketball when using the 98gr Federal JHP.

What do you think a .44 or .45 would be like?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Honestly, I could never figure out why the .327 remained unpopular/uncommon. All things considered, it's the ideal compact revolver round. So many people can't handle .357 in a compact platform. .327 is quite manageable for most folks, and you get six instead of five.
I agree. If a compact revolver is what you want, it really does just make sense.
Less recoil because of the slightly lighter projectiles, but still ample power, and better capacity. That's alot of good features.

I think the reason it didn't catch on stronger is a lack of marketing and promotion. I hardly saw any. What I did see, and really the only reason I do know about the caliber, was in person at a local gun show.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The head of their revolver shop needs to be carried to the range, handed one of their ported snubnose .357's and made to fire it from a retention position using a magnum self defense load.

I bet that before his eyebrows grow back, ports will be listed as an 'option' instead of the standard.

Shooting in low light with a ported gun, you only get one good shot- the first one. Even the little .32Mag I mentioned above throws a fireball out of the ports the size of a basketball when using the 98gr Federal JHP.

What do you think a .44 or .45 would be like?
Yes. That should happen.
I never could understand why they push those ports so much. I have heard the marketing spill about how much they're supposed to reduce recoil, but as a big bore kind of guy myself, I've tried a few ported guns. In my opinion any reduced recoil is minimal.

The noise amplification is far more significant. That's working in the wrong direction imo.

I'm so very thankful that my Ruger Alaskan is not ported. I can only imagine how loud that 454 Casull would be if it were. You know the pressure levels on that bad boy? 65,000 psi! For comparison, the 357 mag is only 35,000 psi. That's a big increase, and 357 mag is anything but a slouch.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I was wondering if the new .30 Super Carry would bring new life in to the .327 mag. It seems Taurus might think so. It would be cool to see an 8 shot switch cylinder tracker chambered in both. Unless something drastically changes I think both will remain niche calibers and be offered in corresponding guns. I don't think either will displace 9mm or .38/.357 for popularity. Now having said that when the stainless 3" gums become available I'll be buying one asap.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Kitchen utensil Gun accessory

Also the 32 H&R makes good SD round

1 - 20 of 90 Posts