Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 32 S&W Long Model

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Elm Creek Smith 
#1 ·
Today, at a local pawn shop, I found a Taurus revolver chambered in 32 S&W Long. Its a six shot blued steel revolver with what looks like a six-inch barrel. Adjustable sights. The ejector rod is not lugged but it is shielded at the tip. Nice wood grips, immaculate factory-new condition. Here's the problem, there is no model number on the revolver. Not in the cylinder crane or on the frame itself. Nowhere on the revolver is a mode number. It is plainly labelled to be a Taurus made revolver and on the barrel it states 32 S&W Long. Anyone have solid non-speculative information on what model this is?

#7 ·
Here are two Taurus 32’s. The bottom one was listed on GunBroker as a 32 long model 76. The barrel said 32 H&R magnum on it so I took the chance. It was a 32 magnum but there is no model number on the gun. The factory box with matching serial number states that its a 32 long. The top one is a 32 long.

You got a good deal on that one. Granted it’s a small number of folks, like me, interested in anything in 32 caliber but those of us who do greatly appreciate the quality and accuracy of these uncommon revolvers.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Line Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Wood

#10 ·
Here are two Taurus 32’s. The bottom one was listed on GunBroker as a 32 long model 76. The barrel said 32 H&R magnum on it so I took the chance. It was a 32 magnum but there is no model number on the gun. The factory box with matching serial number states that its a 32 long. The top one is a 32 long.

You got a good deal on that one. Granted it’s a small number of folks, like me, interested in anything in 32 caliber but those of us who do greatly appreciate the quality and accuracy of these uncommon revolvers.

View attachment 497686
View attachment 497687
.32 H&R Magnum version is Model 761.

A common practice here in Brazil up the 80's was modify the cylinders of Taurus 76 to chamber .32-20 Winchester. Unfortunately, this ammo is no more available in our country since the mid of 90's, and all .32-20 ammo made here had Berdan primers.

#12 ·
Erik, thank you for that information. Some in the US have modified various 32 revolvers to chamber the 32 H&R magnum round. What part of Brazil are you in. I’ve worked in Curitiba and visited with our daughter in law’s family in Uberaba.
I live in Guarulhos, a neighbor city of São Paulo where is the International Airport, but I work at Homicides Department in São Paulo.

#8 · (Edited)
32’s really float my boat.
At the moment I’m limited to a Colt Model 1903, made in 1918, 32ACP, and a Colt Police Positive Special in 32/20 made in 1921.

My wife inherited a S&W 4” J-frame in 32 S&W Long, but she won’t even let me touch it. It belonged to her Mom.

#9 ·
I had a Mod 76 in 32 long and it was very accurate with hollow base wadcutter loads but +/- with jacketed bullets. The culprit was the chamber mouths, .314, and the barrel,.312, groove depth. Maybe other guns are now correctly chambered with .312 chamber mouths, but otherwise the gun was very much like a S&W K32

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.