Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two guns that have caught my eye for the last year have been the Taurus 24/7 .45 and the Ruger P345 (blued). I had a chance to handle both and wish I could have taken either one home. Other pistols go in the way as well as a couple of rifles. Now, I feel that the time has come for me to give these pistols one more hard look before I make a final choice. My problem is that from my readings (ruger forums and all other gun sites), both pistols have had there share of issues.

Can anyone here give an honest side by side comparison of these two guns?

Which one would you stake your life on?

Which makes for a a better all around gun?

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
I love Rugers, but just can't warm to the P345. First of all, I don't like the two tone look of the grip. Beyond that, I HATE the mag interlock safety on the thing. It's not significantly lighter or smaller than my FANTASTIC P90 to make me trade, frankly. I think the P97 would be a good carry and it ain't got that stupid mag interlock safety.

The Taurus is more compact, but I have no experience with the gun. I can tell you, all the P gun Rugers I've owned, a P85, a P90, and a P95 I had and traded, were 100 percent. My P90 is target grade accurate and there's not a factory cartridge on the market I think it wouldn't feed. I've tested it by feeding an empty case and it did, flawlessly! Pickiness about what bullet profile and OAL and such a gun will feed puts me off and is one reason I gave up on 1911s. ;D I don't know how picky the Taurus is, but I've not heard anything especially negative about it. I have heard it lauded for its accuracy and it looks like a nice carry package. I just don't have any experience with the gun.

·
32,808 Posts
Schlemer. There may be some criterea to think about.

The P345 has either standard DA/SA trigger. Heavy trigger pull for the first shot and then the lighter single action trigger pull for each shot afterward.One model has the decocker only and the other has the safety.

The 24/7 by Taurus has the SA/DA trigger that is similar to it's brethren such as Glock, H&K's LEM, SIG's DAK, and Para Ordnance LDA light weight trigger. These all are unconventional triggers that feel and act like shooting a revolver with a lighter trigger pull rather than conventional pistols or revolvers. Mechanics are different though internally.

If you are used to a gun that has the heavy pull first shot and then light after than for each one after, then that is the kind to get.

If you are used to the Taurus lightweight trigger pull for each shot then go with that or something similar.

Training the mind to shoot totally different types of trigger can cause trouble in the long run.Especially if one changes types of guns frequently. Better to have several pistols that have similar manual of arms then many that do not. One has to reset the mind to what kind of trigger and how they operate.

Both brands of pistol have had the kinks worked out. So it is up to what fits you directly and your needs. Which type are you more familar with goes a long way in p[icking one. Or which would be easier to train with and get to be proficient with.

I have the Ruger P97DC and TaurusPT111 Mil/pro. Both are as different as night and day the way they operate. I try to stay with one or the other for most of my needs. And then from time to time take the other pistol out and familiarize my self with the 2nd pistol type just to stay current.

Police agencies and security people are being issued the Ruger 345 and the officers and agencies are happy with them.

The Taurus has a lot to offer as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Qwiks draw said:
Schlemer. There may be some criterea to think about.

I have the Ruger P97DC and TaurusPT111 Mil/pro. Both are as different as night and day the way they operate. I try to stay with one or the other for most of my needs. And then from time to time take the other pistol out and familiarize my self with the 2nd pistol type just to stay current.

Police agencies and security people are being issued the Ruger 345 and the officers and agencies are happy with them.

The Taurus has a lot to offer as well.
GREAT! why don't you just confuse me some more ;) :D ;D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have been a ruger fan for a long time, so i bought the p-345 and love it. I was looking something new and my friend suggested the 24/7 .40 so at the gun shop i tried it out. It felt great in the hand. I liked it as well as the p-345 or my p-90. Having fun with both at the range as long as i can afford ammo.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Looks like an old thread has a new breath of life.

The sheer size and weight of the P345 make it incomparable to the 24/7 IMO.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Hard call here, and I was sort of thinking about a P345 at one time. I can tell you that the Ruger P345's that I have shot at our range have been very accurate and reliable. I don't think you could go wrong choosing one. Rugers are built like Tanks and you'll never break one or at least not very easily! Unfortunately, Rugers also seem to handle like Tanks for me, and the 24/7 Slide Profile is slimmer, which if you are going to use the gun for CCW, is important. If no CCW, no worries there. I also don't like guns with magazine safety interlocks, and that really doomed the Ruger for me. I chose a Taurus 24/7 OSS in .45 ACP. I also have the standard 24/7 Pro in 9mm which also influenced me to buy a .45 version. I can tell you that my .45 24/7 OSS has been very very reliable and accurate. I has fed and fired every round I've put thru it. FMJ, JHP, Flat Points, and SWC's. No bobbles at all, yet (knock on wood)! I've read here that the Standard .45 24/7 Pro will deliver the same performance.

Another small consideration is magazine capacity. The P345 has an 8 round magazine and a .45 24/7 has a 12 round magazine. The single stack feed of the Ruger IS a more inherently reliable design, but a properly maintained double stack magazine will also deliver the goods!

Which ever path you decide to go, the best of luck to you, with your choice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the P345 and the 24/7 OSS and like both guns. The mag disconnect is easy to remove on the P345 and mine was removed before my second range session with it. I've had the P345 since late 2006 with zero issues and it uses the P90 magazines too. I have a little over 3,000 plus rounds down range with it and have two ten round mags for it that do stick out some. The Ruger P345 fits my hand well, better than the P90 which feels large in my hand.

The 24/7 OSS has just a little over 300 rounds down range and so far zero issues. It's longer than the P345 and holds 4 more rounds but feels lighter. It's also more accurate than the P345. If the 24/7 OSS keeps on without any issues after another 500 plus rounds down range, my P345 will take a back seat but I would never get rid of it. Both firearms are keepers but having more rounds in the same type of grip feel, counts more.

The mag disconnect is easy to remove so it's a non issue, 8 + 1=10 for the P345 or 12+1=13 for the OSS, The P345 is easier for CCW, Ruger reliability is a plus, Taurus is hit or miss on QA at times depending on who's story you want to listen to. My new MilPro 145 went down due to a broken firing pin lock, a MIM part and now is at Taurus being worked on. At least the OSS firing pin lock is a different design from the MilPro and should hold up better. If I was going to buy just one firearm, I would lean towards the OSS. Just buy both firearms and enjoy!

Robert

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
gringle84 said:
The mag disconnect is easy to remove so it's a non issue, 8 + 1=10 for the P345 or 12+1=13 for the OSS,
Sorry to be a nitpicker, but 8+1=9. ;)

It's nice to hear that your experience with your OSS has been as positive as mine. As for CCW, a standard 4.2 inch barreled 24/7, either OSS or Pro, would still give the Ruger a run for it's money in the Concealment department. I have a vertical shoulder rig that fits BOTH my .45 24/7 OSS and my standard barrel lengthed 9mm 24/7 Pro. I do prefer the smaller 9mm 24/7 Pro for CCW, but a Standard barrel Lengthed .45 24/7, Pro or OSS, is on my shopping list.

·
Administrator
40,844 Posts
My P345 is one of my favorites. It conceals easily for its size. My daily carry is a PT145 and the P345 is my main range gun. I too removed the magazine disconnect. Function is quite different from the Taurus though, but with approximately 3000 rounds in the Ruger and reliability and accuracy, I don't think you would be disappointed in either. Taurus+Ruger=Good Stuff

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes I can see why you like the P345...<:))

~Ruger Phoenix p345~
An Elegant .45 Auto Blue P345 semi auto pistol
One of 500.
Bright polished blue slide with 24kt gold Ruger logo outlined in tasteful American scrollwork
Safety lever embellished with SR in gold.
One of the few modern Ruger autos with a distinct, factory issued serial number.
Serial numbers : PHX001-PHX500. Descriptive tent card & label.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I handled one today at the shop nearest me and found the fit and finish to be very good. I can see why those who own them like them as much as they do. :p

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
When I first started shopping for a 45 last year I was gonna go for the Ruger, but after comparing the P345 and then the pt145 Guess which ended up leaving with me. I do have a 24/7 pro in 9mm and may just happen to acquire the 45 as well. The natural fit and feel of the 24/7 pro is just right for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I agree. I have fairly small hands and the 24/7s just plain "fit". Only other one that I get a good feel with is the M&P. I'll keep the extra $100 and keep on buying Taurus I guess.

_coder

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't have the 24/7, but have the PT145 (but new to me). I also have the P345 and have to say it is a fantastic range gun and for it's size I feel it is relatively easy to conceal. I think both are accurate, but I would definitely give the nod to the P345. It also feels fantastic in my hand and although I honestly think the recoil of the PT145 is very light, the P345 is significantly lighter. My .02.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts