Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wen to my local gun range to test out my newly bought Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm. First magazine. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! FTE's gallore! I probably spent most of my hour range racking the gun due to the FTE's. :mad: This is how it basically went.

Shot.Shot.FTE.Shot.FTE.Shot.Shot.FTE.

Now. I did manage to finish off two magazines without FTE's, but that's it. I encountered three main issues:

1) The slide would not stay back once the last round went out.
2) I had to rack the slide since it did chamber correctly the bullet.
3) Spent casing would get caught by the slide.

Now. I used it right out of the box. I did not clean it before using it at the rage.

With this in mind?

Did I get a lemon from the factory line or I should clean and lube and see if that will fix it?

???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would do a clean and lube.
The last two handguns I bought were bone dry inside. Maybe better for storage? But a little CLP and a hint of grease on the slide rails can't hurt.

I recently got a used pistol from an owner that didn't clean it. It was dirty and dry. Had a number of failures to chamber the rounds fully. You had to pat the slide home with your hand. That was his story on it. I liked it, bought it, gave it a thorough cleaning and lube job. It ran great for me at the range.

A little cleaning and preventive maintenance never hurts. I always figure a new gun needs a couple boxes of ammo to break it in too.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I agree .. clean it up really good and lube it up. Maybe a little excessive this time, but dont get it in the firing pin channel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sidecarnutz said:
The last two handguns I bought were bone dry inside.
I field stripped it before I used it. But. I didn't notice too closely if it was lubed or not. I am going to use Break Free CLP and I'll check later during the week.

I recently got a used pistol from an owner that didn't clean it. It was dirty and dry. Had a number of failures to chamber the rounds fully. You had to pat the slide home with your hand. That was his story on it. I liked it, bought it, gave it a thorough cleaning and lube job.
Hmmm. I'll try the CLP. Cause it was just way too much FTE's. I mean aside from the FTE's, it was great. Smooth. Great grips. Very good grouping of shots. Didn't feel the recoil. Alas, the FTE's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flyer said:
Maybe a little excessive this time, but dont get it in the firing pin channel.
Don't spray CPL on the firing pin channel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Flyer said:
Don't lubricate the firing pin channel. That will cause FTF's.
So just from the "front" section of the gun?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flyer said:
What do you mean?
Well. When you state:

Don't lubricate the firing pin channel.
Are you referring to the area where firing pin and spring are at (i.e., at the back of the gun) or in the inner section where the firing pin travels before striking the bullet? ???

By front I mean the area where the barrel and guide rod/spring are at. I am not sure if I am making sense. Sorry. :-\

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
The front and in the channel itself, where the firing pin resides. I made the mistake of doing this and had a few light strikes on the WWB ammo I shoot at the range. I could see the oil in the dimple left on the primer from the firing pin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flyer said:
The front and in the channel itself, where the firing pin resides. I made the mistake of doing this and had a few light strikes on the WWB ammo I shoot at the range.
AH! OK. Got it.

Yesterday I went ahead and clead and lubed the gun with Break Free CLP. I did not add anything in the area you mentioned assuming that's what you meant.

Hopefully I can go this weekend to the range and see if the FTE issue has been cleared.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my NIB PT145 to the range the other day and had two FTE's and a misfire in the first 100 rounds - came home and CLEANED it - very gunky - took it to the range today - only one FTE in 110 rounds. Soooo cleaning seems to do it! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Most of these guns are having trouble because of a soft mag spring. My dealer got me updated mags for my.45 and so far so good. My nephew talked to a gun smith today and said he has replaced several springs for others. I think he said the aftermarket springs were about $15 dollars a piece.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flyer said:
I'll be waiting to hear from ya. :)
THE LUBE GODS took away my gun and brought me a new one!

Holy Mother Tucker!

:eek:

Like Night and Day!

About two days ago, I just used Break Free CLP & Hoppe's Lubricating Oil on the slide. Totally lubed and cleaned. Added oil like I was about to fry chicken.

Went to the gun range today ready to be disappointed. After 100 rounds, not one FTE, not one stovepipe, and no failures to chamber. It felt like I had very, very different pistol.

Unbelievable what a bit of lubing can do to a pistol.

..............and yes......a great gun. Wow!

Thanks for all advice.

Soft recoil. Good grouping. Felt comfortable on my hand. Made me happy that I had chosen this gun. For the price ($380 or so), it's a great gun.

In one word.....happiness! ;D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good to read that your problem was solved, as I just bought the same gun myself. Got a great deal, $310 NIB :)

·
32,619 Posts
Glad ot hear the "Lube Gobs"? were good to you. Just as a gee whiz folks item. Recoil springs need to be replaced every few thousand rounds normally. Magazine springs may need changing if soft or old like posted here by others. Most do not wear out fast. Just a factor to keep track of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts