Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 24/7 OSS .45? I've researched this and the standard 24/7 and I like the length of the OSS more. Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the gun, but there are a couple of things to look for.

Mag Release. Make sure it isn't sticky in it's function. The paint coating used on the OSS makes the mag release button fit tighter in the grip handle. The black oxide on my 24/7 Pro C has no such problem. I wish they had just used the same coating as what the Pro models have.

Grip Frame Fit (Loose slide release spring): make sure you have tight fit between the left side of the grip frame and the inner metal assembly. If there is a gap the slide release spring can come and pop out through the gap.

I sent mine back to get these issues fixed. They store I bought mine from has another later serial number of the same model. I'm going to go ask to take it down and inspect it. I want to see if this was a common problem.

For the time I did shoot this pistol I like the feel, the accuracy and the fact that the .45 OSS fits the same Fobus holster that my 9mm Pro Compact fits.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm hoping it was just one of those things, but mine sucked right out of the box. Shot 4 to 6 inches low at 10 yards and had 5 no fires out of 150 to 200 rounds. Dealer of course would not take it back even though i had it less than 24 hours so i am waiting to see what Taurus does, they have had it for 4 weeks now.

I like the gun, it feels good, low recoil, but evidently quality control doesn't and customer service is not one of their strong points.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Sounds like you just got a bad draw, James.....give Taurus a chance, they usually make it right and you'll be loving your MilPro pretty soon.

Shooting low can be the result of many things - ammo, how you hold the gun, lots of things. I think you'd need to try a lot more ammo before you come to any hard conclusions about the POA.

·
Registered
509 Posts
James41 said:
I'm hoping it was just one of those things, but mine sucked right out of the box. Shot 4 to 6 inches low at 10 yards and had 5 no fires out of 150 to 200 rounds. Dealer of course would not take it back even though i had it less than 24 hours so i am waiting to see what Taurus does, they have had it for 4 weeks now.

I like the gun, it feels good, low recoil, but evidently quality control doesn't and customer service is not one of their strong points.
It is NOT the quality control, you are shooting at 6 Oclock and Taurus Pistols shoot POI (Point of Impact)
and set at 25 yards.
If you missed at 10 yds, you were not getting it done right.

You can google Heinie and they'll tell you on their site how to use the sights properly.

·
Administrator
17,667 Posts
I've had excellent results with my Taurus 24/7 OSS .45!

So far, my .45 24/7 OSS has fed everything I've put into it's magazine.

This includes:

1.) Remington 185 Grn MC-SWC (5.7 grns Red Dot) - 50 rounds
2.) Remington 185 grn Gold Sabre - 25 rounds
3.) CCI Gold Dot 185 grn HP - 25 rounds
4.) WWB 230 grn FMJ - 100 rounds
5.) My IPSC Match Reload 200 grn FMJ-Flat Point - 300 rounds

In all cases accuracy has been excellent, when I've done my part! It should also be noted that my 24/7 OSS was only cleaned when first recieved and not again cleaned until AFTER it's first 500 rounds.

Not sorry I bought my OSS, otherwise I would've traded it off by now. (The PT945 I traded for it was resold, quickly.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 24/7 OSS seems to be a great gun. I'm sure that any accuracy issues are my own, not the gun's. I have shot Winchester whitebox FMJ and Remington JHP through 4 different magazines and had zero issues except that the very first round didn't eject. 200+ rounds since fired without issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
TheBulldog said:
It is NOT the quality control, you are shooting at 6 Oclock and Taurus Pistols shoot POI (Point of Impact)
and set at 25 yards.
If you missed at 10 yds, you were not getting it done right.

You can google Heinie and they'll tell you on their site how to use the sights properly.
In this case, yes it is a quality control problem. They let this gun out of the factory with some fairly major problems including bad accuracy and a firing mechanism that tends to not fire every few rounds.

To start with i am no newbie at guns, i have been shooting since about 1948, rifles, shotguns, pistols, so i think i have learned by now how to hit a target especially one that is only 10 yards away. Funny i can stay in the com circle at 10 yards and 12 yards and 15 yards and even 25 yards with both my Taurus PT140 and my Kimber 1911 45 and even managed to do it with my S&W M&P 9mm, but now that i couldn't do it with a Taurus 24/7 OSS it is all of a sudden my fault...

There was either a problem with the sights or the barrel of that gun, it was not my shooting to blame. As further proof, that particular day a member of the local police force happened to be with me. He is a darn good shot who can take my 1911 and rapid fire it to a darn good grouping, yet he was having the same problem as i was with it shooting from 4 to 6 inches low at 10 yards. Now tell me, was it still our fault?

As for Heinie sights, what ever gave you the idea that the 24/7 OSS has Heinie sights on it? At least the 2 OSS models that i have seen had the regular 3 dot sights and the one i have certainly does. My Taurus PT140 came with Heinie sights which i didn't like and quickly replaced with some Wilson Firesites

Don't get me wrong, i like the gun. It feels great in the hand and when it shoots the recoil is fairly light. I also love the 12 + 1 capacity too. I may have the only OSS built by Taurus that has a problem, if so it is probably all mechanical and can be fixed at the factory, i certainly hope so. But the fact remains this one was an out of the box lemon and i so far am not one bit impressed with "Taurus customer service". Now going into the 5th week in their hands with no idea at all of what the heck is going on with it in spite of a couple of calls to the "service center".

·
Registered
509 Posts
You need to keep on them, and call regularly.
The repair dept does not talk to the customer service peeps until they are done with their smithing.
Then, over the phone, they will give you a full report of what they did and if it was testfired.

Last one (and also the only one ever since 1985) I sent out even came back with a test target!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I received my OSS .45 back today. It was about 6 weeks out for service. They fixed the sticky mag release, and replaced the slide release spring.

I also noticed that they either tightened up the fit between the fire control assembly and the plastic grip frame, or they replaced the plastic grip frame. It wasn't in their report, but the gap that allowed the spring to pop out is now tight.

I'll take it out this weekend and try it out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I posted this in another area about 24/7 OSS. I bought a PT 24/7 OSS 40 SW recently. It was clean. Out of the box the extractor would not work at all. Davidson's Gallery of Guns sent me a new replacement a few days later. The new replacement has worked flawlessly so far about 130 rounds. Someone thought it was a lemon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got mine about 3mo. ago (OSS in .45) and have put around 900 rds through it. I LOVE this gun! I carie either this or my PT145 and I have to say that I don't think I could have done better for the money. No issues with it, the 1 and only complaint I have is the fixed sights. I think a gun with a 5"+ mach grade bbl. SHOULD have adj. sights from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OSS = crap
Lots of hype and very little performance. The guide rod was spit out of mine twice finally JB welded it together. Taurus has no parts for this gun ans I could not even order the parts. Shoots two inches low. The price of this gun is in line with a CZ75 and XD from springfield both have much better product support , on those two types you probally will not need to send your gun back several times. See all the complaint on locking up and guide rod problems on the OSS. Look at some other sites and find out the truth. There are a lot of cheer leaders on this site no matter how many problems they have or how many repairs are made. Will be trying not to loose to much money on my three Taurus rejects. :mad: :mad:

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Zen, the 'cheerleaders' you refer to here own a plethora of firearms, including CZ's and Springfields......Glocks, Rugers, S&W's, you name it. We tend to call 'em like we see 'em here, as opposed to slamming and flaming. Not sure where all of these locking up problems are that you refer to for the OSS......I've really heard nothing bad with them from a functionality standpoint. Nothing. Now, you may take issue with the takedown pin for a gun used in the field, and while that may be a somewhat valid point, but thats a pretty minor point of contention, overall.

Taurus will fix or replace anything wrong on the gun for the lifetime of the gun, period. Can you say that about CZ and Springfield?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got an OSS in 9mm and its a tack driver. I mainly use WWB from Wally World it shots POA every time. I only have 200 rounds through it with no problems. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my OSS. Mine is chambered in 9mm and is the long slide model. My wife got it for me for Christmas and I shot it for the first time yesterday. at 25 yards I could easily hold a group of 3 inches after a slight rear sight adjustment. I have a Glock 22 and 34 and I would rather have my OSS than either of the Glocks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just got my Oss .45 this christmas! I'm looking forward to the first trip to the range. I'll post range results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Zen, the 'cheerleaders' you refer to here own a plethora of firearms, including CZ's and Springfields......Glocks, Rugers, S&W's, you name it. We tend to call 'em like we see 'em here, as opposed to slamming and flaming. Not sure where all of these locking up problems are that you refer to for the OSS......I've really heard nothing bad with them from a functionality standpoint. Nothing. Now, you may take issue with the takedown pin for a gun used in the field, and while that may be a somewhat valid point, but thats a pretty minor point of contention, overall.

Taurus will fix or replace anything wrong on the gun for the lifetime of the gun, period. Can you say that about CZ and Springfield?
Springfield does have a lifetime warranty and stellar customer service. But I do agree with you on this subject.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts