Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus 24/7 G2 .40cal Compact (Problems)

45K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  b1's 
#1 · (Edited)
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol
I just recently purchased a Taurus 24/7 G2 compact in .40 cal. I have a Springfield XD-9 compact and love it so I wanted to get an XDM compact .40 but budget was tight and at $362 for the Taurus and $625 for the XDM I took a chance and bought the Taurus. I have read mixed reviews about Taurus in general some bad and some good but I did speak with an FFL who told me that he sends more Taurus firearms back under warranty each year than any other manufacturer (not a good sign). This Gen Two is the most recent model of semi-auto pistol from Taurus and is said to be their most advanced !

I got my Gen 2 less than a week ago, on first impressions it looked like a nice gun. The machining on the stainless slide was nice and the finish is good, looks like a satin bead blast or something similar. It has low profile three dot sights and the rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation. When I handled the gun it did not feel as comfortable in my hand as I would have liked, the with of the grip is reasonably thin which is good but the depth from the heal of grip to the trigger is a little long which feels a little uncomfortable for me, this may be just a
personal preference (the compact does not have replaceable back straps, the full size does). The trigger on this gun right out of the box was horrendous, even the single action pull is heavy, gritty and crunchy with more creep than I have ever felt in a pistol before….. If I keep this gun it will definitely need a trigger job !
The magazine release catch On this pistol is really heavy and crunchy, with a fully loaded magazine inserted you have to push the mag in tight with your hand to take the pressure off the catch so you can actually press the release button and release the Magazine (this will need to be stripped and modified before the gun can be carried as a CCW). The magazine for the .40 cal Compact holds 11 rounds (not bad firepower for a small pistol).

The Taurus 24/7 G2 has some nice safety features which are what attracted me to it in the first place.
It has a trigger safety like an XD or a Glock which makes for a quick first shot straight from the holster if you carry it with the manual safety off. It also has a striker / firing pin blocker to prevent accidental discharge if the gun is dropped or the sear disconnects for whatever reason. It has a manual safety for added peace of mind which is in a good location (right at your thumb knuckle). It also has a striker de-cocker which is something I like and have never seen on a striker fired pistol before. It has a subtle loaded chamber indicator and a cocked striker indicator.
It has a true double action trigger that is capable of multiple strikes if you get a bad round and defaults to single action after the first round is fired. After firing a few rounds you can either engage the manual safety and holster the gun cocked and locked or use the de-cocker and holster it un-cocked with the manual safety off
(like a revolver) which is safe to carry and fast for a draw & shoot without worrying about a manual safety.

I decided that if I can put 500 rounds though this gun without a malfunction I will be comfortable carrying this pistol as a primary CCW, This is where it all goes horribly wrong !!!!! I only have the gun less than a week and
Got to the range one night after work and got 200 rounds through it. Out of 200 rounds I had 25-30 malfunctions.
Almost every time I got to the end of a magazine the slide would lock back with one round left in the mag. That one round would be slid forward with it’s nose against the feed ramp which meant that the mag wouldn’t drop out, I would have to chamber that round and fire it separately. I experienced at least one or more feed jams per
magazine of ammo fired. The most common jam was the spent casing getting jammed between the top of the barrel and the slide and when you pull back the slide to clear the jammed casing the next round in the magazine will automatically try to feed into the chamber which already has a live round which in turn creates a stove pipe jam.
I one particular instance the gun jammed while shooting and when I looked into the breech there was one live round wedged sideways with the nose almost in the chamber and the round beneath had come forward in the
magazine and was trying to chamber at the same time. The slide would not lock back and the already faulty
Magazine release was locked solid and would not drop the mag free….. After fighting with this for almost 10
minutes I ended up wedging the muzzle of the slide against the range bench to hold the slide back and putting my
Fingers into the breech to pull the rounds out manually ….. Not Good !!!

It is possible that I may just have a bad magazine which can cause feed problems but I don't think it would explain
The ejection problems ? The ammo I tested the gun with is good ammo, Remington nickel plated brass cases with
165 Gr jacketed Truncated Cone bullet so I don't think it was the ammo’s fault (Metal cased Russian stuff or home
Reloads could cause malfunctions). I will try another magazine in this pistol and see what happens, if it is still the same then off this piece of crap will go back to Brazil !!!!

I cant tell you that everything that comes from this manufacturer is bad, I know that is not the case but it looks
Like this particular gun has problems !!!
My advice to anyone buying a concealed carry weapon for personal defense or home defense and opts for
something in a bargain price range …… test the hell out of it for reliability before putting it in your holster .
Your life could depend on it one day !

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First off, Welcome Aboard! Sorry to see your first post is a problem. I have the G2 in 45 and love it, and hopefully can give a simple solution. In your post, I did not see you mention if you had cleaned the pistol before going to the range. All Taurus models made in Brazil (that's most of them) are PACKED with Cosmoline for the over seas trip. You have to do a DETAILED clean, not just a field strip, and that could solve most of your problems. So far as the trigger and mag release, I can tell you from my 45, it takes about 500 rounds, and lots of time with a snap cap to work things smooth. If you're not comfortable doing a detail strip, I've had good luck spraying Gun Scrubber, or other such so long as it is polymer safe. I heavily spray the GS, use a brush, wipe it clean, and spray it again. Be sure you use the little red 'straw' to get into the springs and firing pin channel, and down into the fire control group. I let it 'marinade' for a while, then wipe it clean, and spray some more. I spray it through until it runs out clear. Also, you should pull the floor plate off the mags and clean and lube inside and the spring. I hope that helps, or someone else can offer a better solution, but if all else fails you can use that Taurus Lifetime Warranty. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reactions: bre346
#4 ·
Welcome aboard, and sorry to hear about the feeding problems. We got my son the same exact gun - the G2 Compact in 40. We did as Zylo said, REALLY cleaned it out thoroughly, and lubed everything. Fortunately, he has put 300+ rounds through his without any problems, and loves it. I bought the same gun but in .45. Did the same clean and lube, but will not be able to fire my first shots with it until this coming Saturday. So, double check the clean and lube. ??? - did you have the same feed issues with BOTH mags, or were you only using the same one? The only good news, if it does have to go back, is that you can send it to Florida. Small condolence I know. Hope it improves for you.

#5 · (Edited)
Hi Guy’s,
Thanks for the response !
A few days before I bought this pistol I spend an hour or two at the “University of Google” just looking up some user reviews on this gun to see what other people thought of it etc.. I guess this is still a pretty new model and there aren’t as many reviews on this as there are on other models of Taurus but any I found were pretty positive. Along the way I did discover that the gun needs to be stripped and cleaned out as it will be packed with gun grease for shipping. When I got the gun home from the dealer I did strip it completely and remove the striker assembly for cleaning but in my case I did not find any gunk or grease …. Just a lot of oil inside and outside of the slide. I cleaned it all anyway with a degreaser I use on my AR-15 and the gave it a light oiling where is needed it !

I brought the gun to the range again this evening and put another hundred rounds through it using a different
Magazine (the extended mag that came with the gun). Unfortunately all the malfunctions that I experienced
Before were all still there … the slide still locks back with one round left in the mag, several ejection failures
And two or three feed jams. I will say that it seemed like slightly fewer jams tonight than last time, I think I got two or three magazines through the gun with out a failure at all but over all still bad.

I noticed something strange, The spent casings ejected straight up out of the gun as opposed to up and out to the right like most guns. Many of the shell casings landed on my hands and a few landed on my head, I thought this was odd especially with an external ejector on the right hand of the slide ! Most of the shell casings that failed to eject were caught between the slide and top of the chamber but one was actually still stuck in the hook of the
ejector itself . I have 200 rounds left for this gun so maybe I’ll put them through it to see if it improves any more
But I’d doubt it. I know that new guns have a break in period but I have a S&W, a Beretta and a Springfield
Armory and all of them were flawless right out of the box, I think it is likely that this PT24/7 is just a Lemon !!!

It looks like it may have two problems, A faulty ejector and a faulty slide lock. The internal lever that catches the mag follower and locks back the slide when empty seems to be catching the head of the bullet on the last round,
No idea why it doesn’t do it on every round but seems to be always on the last.

Thanks all for your input, I’ll keep you posted on how I make out with customer service.

#6 ·
Hi Guy’s,
Thanks for the response !...

It looks like it may have two problems, A faulty ejector and a faulty slide lock. The internal lever that catches the mag follower and locks back the slide when empty seems to be catching the head of the bullet on the last round,
No idea why it doesn’t do it on every round but seems to be always on the last.

Thanks all for your input, I’ll keep you posted on how I make out with customer service.
Always happy to help. Since it seems like you have the problem figured out (HOPEFULLY), I'll take a WAG at your last question... probably due to the amount of pressure on the mag spring as the rounds feed. I hope you find the CS experience as positive as I have. I've recently had 2 returns, and both were very smooth. My first turned into a new replacement gun that I receive on 23 DEC, total turn around time 3 weeks from the day it left my hand and was back, even with the Christmas shipping crush. The second came in today, but I was at work. Got to go to FedEx tomorrow, but that was a turn around of 9 days!!! Good Luck.

#7 ·
welp aside from sending it back one last thing you could try is to break the mag down and extend compress the spring acouple of times.. do that, put the remainder of your rounds through it then call for a fed ex shipping label..
Good luck man

#8 ·
I think the slide lock problem is the mag springs being ultra tight. With that last round being pushed forwards against the feed ramp, you might want to try taking a wooden dowel and working the followers up and down a couple hundred times. Simply leaving the unloaded or fully loaded won't do at all for loosening that spring, and cleaning them out can't hurt either since they tend to have a bit of over spray running down the inside of the magazine. It may not be alot, but just enough to cause the follower to stick a bit and shift those rounds up.

Reactions: bre346
#9 ·
I have two of the G2's. One I bought new last month, it is in 40 cal. With the 40, I have had 5 fail to eject out of 500 rounds. It does it just like you have described. The spent case hangs in the slide and it has tried to feed another round. I first thought it was because the mag was full and causing some drag on the slide. For me the first couple happened on the first round with a full mag in the gun. One of the times it did it, I fed a round in the gun and topped off the mag, but didn't put it in the gun and the case hung in the slide.
I pulled the ejector and found a bunch of gunk under it. I have cleaned it all out, but haven't taken it back to the range yet.
The second G2, bought used a couple of days ago. It is in 9mm, I have no idea how many rounds this one has have through it. I have put more than 300 rounds through it in the last couple of days. Not one single problem. The trigger on the 9mm is awesome, I cut holes in the middle of the target.
The trigger on the 40 is still very hard to me. If I really concentrate with the 40, I can shoot some pretty good groups, but if not, I am all over the place.
I don't have a solution for you other than, clean it as best you can and put a lot of rounds through it and see if it gets any better. Like you, I have never had to break in another brand of gun.
I still like to Taurus for shooting, but I carry the Glock for protection.

#10 ·
Per the Range Report that I have filed in a separate post, I am having a similar "feed" or ejection issue, but ONLY with the 10 round mag that came with my g2 .45 compact. NO problems with the 12 round mag. I was thinking that my problem might be a mag issue, but I will take a look at the ejector. I have been cleaning the gun thoroughly from a field strip, but had not removed the ejector.

#12 ·
Hey Guys,
I also am having issues with my taurus 24/7 g2 compact .40, identical to the inital posting. My first 200 rounds I have had at least 10 FTF with half of them including stovepipes. I have found that while thumbing out rounds from the magazine, the edge of the case mouth tends to get hung up on the front of the magazine, not allowing the round to leave the mag. I am considering filing down the magazine, however I will try giving CS a call first to see if they have an answer to this. I know this can explain the failure to feeds but not necessarily the stove pipes. It seems several other people have had simlar problems when I have read other threads. Anyone, found an answer to these issues?​

#13 ·
I had this problem with my 24/7 G2 9mm Compact the first time I took it out to the range... sent it in to Taurus and they sent it back informing me there was a problem with the gun's extractor spring (which of course they replaced free of charge). Going to take it out this Saturday and put about 500 rounds through her to see if my woes have been cured or not!

#14 ·
I cant tell you that everything that comes from this manufacturer is bad, I know that is not the case but it looks
Like this particular gun has problems !!!
Well that sucks...I just bought a new OSS in .40 S&W and it works flawlessly. Taurus has a great warranty however I am sure they will take care of you. Oh yea and welcome to the forum. Great bunch of Taurus fans here we can help you.

#16 ·
I also have a problem with a new 24 7 9mm. I read the manual and released the slide. There is packing grease that I intended to remove and then lube in the right places. My trouble began upon reassembly of the pistol. Apparently I did not place the slide properly and the slide is jammed. It will not go in either direction. This, I feel, is my fault. No good deed ........! I would like to know if others have experienced this. Also, assuming that the pistol must be taken to a gunsmith, does anyone know what it would cost to fix this? I would rather try to solve the problem locally. Thanks.

#19 ·
While trying to solve an issue I was having with my G2 (not the compact however) I did get the slide stuck as well. I pretty much just fought with it until I got it to move all the way back and then pulled really hard forward and got it to the position I could do a normal slide release. I did have to pull really hard to get it from that point as well. I cut the back of my finger on some internal part as it let go all at once. It wasn't pleasant but I was able to get mine free just by muscling it basically.

#17 ·
I had a similar problem with my 24/7 compact. It turned out to be the Extractor, so when reading about your problem I kept thinking extractor, extractor, extractor, the part that pulls the case out and hangs on just long enough for the ejector to punch it out. I didn't figure that out, the factory guy did.

#22 ·
Had a SP problem with the G2 also. I found a good magazine cleaning solved the problem. I used cleaner along with a tooth brush to get the inner surface clean. I found that the just a little of the original grease in the mag prevented the bullet from moving up the mag correctly.

#23 ·
Hey guys, and gals if any. I'm new to this post, not a new shooter, I've been shooting for over 60 years! Ya, I'm a geezer! Anyway, I just bought a new G2 in 40 S&W and am having some "minor" problems. I have owned some Taurus revolvers in the past and always had good luck with them. Now I know that a less expensive firearm is probably going to require some TLC and break-in time. That being said, I have experienced 2 "failures to feed" out of 30-40 rounds so far. The slide picked the round up but would not close completely to battery. A simple slap on the slide fixed it. I never cleaned it, just pulled it out of the box and started punching paper. The pistol is pretty accurate considering the short barrel, but I am going to have to get a lot more trigger time to get my recoil management under control. That 40 has quite a bit of "whip" to it, and at my age arthritis can be a little bit of a problem. I am attributing the failure to feed as a maintenance, and break-in problem. Most all my other pistols, Ruger's, Smith's, Browning, etc shot out of the box, with no problems. But we're talking 2-3 times the money! My biggest issue with this pistol is the magazines? I read on an earlier thread about possible weak mag springs. I have the opposite problem! I gotta tell you it's all I can do to get even 5 rounds in the things. I did manage to get 10 rounds in once but it took me about 30 minutes to coax those last 4 or 5 in. Apparently, some people were having issues with possible weak springs and Taurus was listening and went to the other extreme!! I ordered a relading tool, of course, I don't have it yet, I hope that cures my loading problem. Speaking of loads? I have always re-loaded all my centerfire rifle and pistol ammo and re-loading the 40 is nothing new to me. But I have not found any info about whether or not the cartridge case head is supported? Glocks are notorious for this problem, and it is something that has to be considered when reloading. Has anyone got any clues on this one??? Oh ya, I did give it a pretty thorough cleaning and going over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.