Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this forum and thought I would post my problem with my 24/7 and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

I was able to get around 300rds shot before failure. The slide wouldn't stay open. Taurus received it on the Feb-28 and It was returned today.

Repairs made:
Slide catch mod replaced
Captive recoil spring assy replaced
Firing ping replaced

I can't wait to get back out to the range and test it out. I hope I have better luck because I really like this gun ;D

·
Registered
130 Posts
At least the warranty is good, I personally don't own a 24/7 but it's always good to hear both good and bad things about a product that way a proper decision can be made.

·
32,481 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Magazines usually are the culprit, but Taurus covered all the bases trying to solve this. Give us an update. Sounds like the problem should be solved. The possible problem areas were coverd by Taurus. Magazine catches can be a frequent source of trouble and are for many makes and models for many different companies.

·
Registered
80 Posts
By any chance was the gun used? That looks like the abuse of really hot loads. I have never heard a problem on the 9. There have been problems with some early 45's but several including me have these now and have no problems at all. Good luck with your pistol. I bet it is fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I bought the gun new. I have only shot the winchester white box at walmart through it. These are the notes the Taurus gunsmith left on my paper:

We recommend not using reloaded ammunition ( I have never used reloaded ammo)
Firearm needs to be cleaned after each use ( I clean everytime after shooting)

Not sure what happened but I'm glad to have it back. I'm going to shoot it today!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have got the same problem with my 9mm 24/7. The slide rail wont stay locked back after magazine is empty and went to range today and I had 3 out of a 100 shells get stuck in the slide and not ejecting or letting the slide close. I too only use winchester white box ammo from the range.

·
32,481 Posts
Time to try another brand of ammo. Could be a function problem alone. Breaking in periods usually take some experimentation with other brands as well as several hundred rounds to get the inner parts to wear in. There might be a few fail to fires, jams,or fail to eject during break in periods. The break in gets the kinks out during the process. Does the magazine completely lock in place when seated. If it hangs down or does not lock and it should be felt as well as heard as a audible click, then either use slightly more force to push the magazine more to go home, or tap the bottom with the palm of the hand. This will seat the magazine properly. Otherwise the magazine catch or the mag it self can be the problem. Replacement will be needed. There are other reasons this can happen. Checking the FAQ section here on gun break ins and periods are addressed there and hold useful info on what to door how to proceed once the gun is purchased..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to get 100rds through my 24/7 with no problems yesterday! I'll feel safer once I get past 500rd's but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've yet to have a problem with any of my Taurus pistols and I primarily shot tons of Wolf, along with Winchester, UMC, and Blazer ammo.

·
Registered
116 Posts
wanekula1s said:
Mine was flawless for over 1500 rounds before my first failure to fully eject. but now uhhhhh :-\
Make sure its lubed real good. And if you wait long periods of time before you go back to the range put a little gun oil on the barrel and slide before you shoot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't forget to clean your mags also! A friend of mine and I were shooting Sunday when his .45 24/7 had several of nose-dives. The pistol had had about 300 rounds through it without cleaning the mags. I didn't have any cleaner with me so I washed them out with kerosean?. No problems after that.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just a tip for something to check when you're cleaning. Don't forget to clean under the hook for the extractor. Gunk gets in there and reduces the clearance which could allow it to slip off the rim.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
jason93 said:
No I bought the gun new. I have only shot the winchester white box at walmart through it. These are the notes the Taurus gunsmith left on my paper:

We recommend not using reloaded ammunition ( I have never used reloaded ammo)
Firearm needs to be cleaned after each use ( I clean everytime after shooting)

Not sure what happened but I'm glad to have it back. I'm going to shoot it today!
It seems that these two are standard for any return... not necessarily a scolding, but a reminder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 24/7 Pro 9mm also and I've shot upwards of 2000 WWB through it and a few other assorted ammos through it and have never had any failures what so ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts