Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
732B, PT132Pro, PT138pro, PT945. Glad I bought them while I could as they have become my favorites but have been dropped by Taurus. Plenty of magazines except for the PT132Pro but I will eventually find some or buy another discounted pistol. I also bought the parts I might need for the long run. All of them are 2011 models so they are late models.

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
The PT99 and PT101 are also missing.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I bought a PT945 and PT911. Don't know why they were dicontinued.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
732B, PT132Pro, PT138pro, PT945. Glad I bought them while I could as they have become my favorites but have been dropped by Taurus. Plenty of magazines except for the PT132Pro but I will eventually find some or buy another discounted pistol. I also bought the parts I might need for the long run. All of them are 2011 models so they are late models.
Hey Michael,

I know just how you feel.

I wanted a matte stainless Ultralight Judge. My local gun shop owner attempted to find me one from several of his suppliers, but they all told him the Ultralights were discontinued. One supplier had a couple of the blued Ultralight Judges with the 3 inch barrel, so I had him order one for me.

Now, I do not find either blued or stainless Ultralight Judges in the 2012 Taurus catalogue, so I'm very happy that I got my UL Judge when I did!

·
32,481 Posts
New polymer pistols and revolvers are the guns of tomorrow to hear the marketing and sales people talk. "Cutting edge" or new models get more press and notice by the buying public.

The 911 series and kin are yesterdays news and while they sold didn't give Taurus the numbers they wanted. So it seems.Metal framed guns are also considered old school.

This is true for many of the gun manufacturers. Not just true for only Taurus.

S&W did away with the metal framed pistols. I liked the 908 and 3913 series.

Polymer revolvers and pistols are their bread and butter now for the most part.

Taurus has also has models that come out with little or no fan fair. I was taken aback when the Taurus 327 in .327 Federal was announced at Taurus Armed. Net for the first time. There was nothing in the catalog at the time except a .32 H&R magnum snub revolver in that guise.

Other models would appear or disappear without notice as well. The Taurus USA web site has been fickle for many years.

I've also put a request in for Taurus and Rossi catalogs for several years and NEVER gotten one!

Whether Taurus tweaks things as needed when they should is up in the air. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I bought a PT945 and PT911. Don't know why they were dicontinued.
The 900 series were discontinued in late 2010, which kind of broke my heart to see after I bought my 945. But I do love mine, and since I don't do trades and resales, Taurus will have to keep fixing it until they have to replace it completely. Maybe in another 20 years or so.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kind of look at it from both sides. I really like these pistols and hate to see them dropped but I also want Taurus to remain competitive and healthy. So, I buy parts. Just got off the phone with Taurus again and should have all my basis covered for years.
  • The 732/738 have common Recoil Spring guides, and recoil springs (both outer and inner).
  • The PT132Pro magazines ran out in April and none have been manufactured since.
  • The PT132Pro, PT138Pro, and PT132, and PT745 all use the same Captive Recoil Spring Assembly. It is the PT111-2008 spring (not PT111Pro!). That makes having assemblies easy on me.
  • The only extractors for the PT745 are gold. I have black on backorder but that could be a bad sign, like never available again. Just a heads up.

·
32,481 Posts
I kind of look at it from both sides. I really like these pistols and hate to see them dropped but I also want Taurus to remain competitive and healthy. So, I buy parts. Just got off the phone with Taurus again and should have all my basis covered for years.
  • The 732/738 have common Recoil Spring guides, and recoil springs (both outer and inner).
  • The PT132Pro magazines ran out in April and none have been manufactured since.

Thanks. We needed that. Being prepared just makes good sense.
  • The PT132Pro, PT138Pro, and PT132, and PT745 all use the same Captive Recoil Spring Assembly. It is the PT111-2008 spring (not PT111Pro!). That makes having assemblies easy on me.
  • The only extractors for the PT745 are gold. I have black on backorder but that could be a bad sign, like never available again. Just a heads up.
Thanks. We needed that. Being prepared just makes good sense.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So now that they are discontinuing a lot of models will they still service them if they break?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Also where do you find the 2012 catalog? or is it only out for vendors right now?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also where do you find the 2012 catalog? or is it only out for vendors right now?
It's on line: Taurus 2012

So now that they are discontinuing a lot of models will they still service them if they break?
It makes good sense to have spares plus it just doesn't makes sense to pay the one-way shipping (after the first year of ownership) to replace a part that you could have bought for $3. I also consider all semi-auto recoil springs to be life-limited. I will keep them on hand and replace on condition at the first hint of an issue. Taurus will honor their warranty but if your pistol ends up sent back, it will sit there and wait for scavenged parts if the production of parts have stopped. That is the one thing that I have read into some of the posts on the Customer Service thread. Once Taurus drops a model they seem to be done with the parts as well. I'm trying to prep for the worst as I want to enjoy my firearms far into the future.

As these models slip off the shelves it might be a good idea to come up with a list of parts, the actual part numbers to order them by, that would make a good replacement kit. This list could be posted in the model appropriate forum, as it is a lot cheaper fixing one item than sending it back. My parts today averaged $2.30/each for the small stuff that can give you trouble down the road.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can see why Taurus is trimming the fat. Forjas Taurus SA had a hard year and a dismal 3q11 and 4q11 as well. Part of this was due to the weak dollar or valuation of the Real against North American currency and the effects of incorporating the debt from the acquisition of Polimetal Participacoes S.A. almost doubling long term debt increasing net financial expenses. Hopefully Taurus will see eventual ROI as a result of the acquisition in the near distant future. Also an increase in the production costs and costs of raw material. Taurus does have a English release of their 3Q11 report. Pretty cool stuff if you want to keep up with the "Mother Ship".
Taurus : Relações com Investidores

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know we hate to see our favorite models go by the wayside but they've got some nice new stuff coming. I especially like the DT Integral (polymer over metal frame) and the 800 series compacts. Can't wait to get one in my hot little hands to see how they feel!

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I know we hate to see our favorite models go by the wayside but they've got some nice new stuff coming. I especially like the DT Integral (polymer over metal frame) and the 800 series compacts. Can't wait to get one in my hot little hands to see how they feel!
There you go, folks...an observation from a "half full glass" member!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The discontinued models should start to show up on the used market for a song!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I rest my case. This fellow's pistol is out of service for the lack of a $3 part! This is the kind of stuff I'm buying.

Is this typical Taurus incompetence
Any master gunsmith could make a replacement part provided he has a full machine shop.
Probably cost more than $3, but gun would be back in service.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hate looking at the 2012 catalog because here in CA I have such a limited list of Taurus models I can order :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts