Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Taurus fans tend to criticize the aforementioned company, sometimes rightly so, for making promises on which they fail to deliver. So, with the closing hours of 2011 upon us, I thought it might be fun to flip through the Taurus ‘What’s New 2011’ Catalog one last time, and do a quick survey on what they delivered, and what they failed to deliver:

PT-2011 (DT Hybrid/DT Integral): FAILED
Protector Polymer: DELIVERED (though I’ve seen none with the fake wood grips)
DT Revolver: FAILED (though this differs little from the Protector Polymer above)
Raging Judge XXVIII: FAILED (this one, of course, came under serious heat from the BATFE and Comrade… errr, Attorney General Eric Holder, so it may well have been delivered to non-US Taurus customers.)
Tracker 992: FAILED (for customers, anyway. The guys at American Rifleman seem to have gotten their hands on one).
G2 SLIMs: DELIVERED (?), I suppose, but with little fanfare as just the next generation of SLIMs, and sans extended magazine.
PT1911 Anniversary Match: FAILED
PT1911 Anniversary: FAILED
1911 .22LR Conversion Kit: FAILED
PT638: DELIVERED
445: DELIVERED
405: DELIVERED
Carbine CT G2: FAILED (at least to US customers)

Also, from the ‘Full Line’ Catalog:
800 Series .22LR Conversions: FAILED

And also in Taurus news for 2011, of course, was the retirement of many model lines, including the 900 series and the 24/7 Pro series (including the beloved OSS), and that of Taurus International Manufacturing, Inc. CEO Bob Morrison.
So, to sum up, see attachment!

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went by the 2011 'What's New' Catalog

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well that was in a catalog but then disappeared, I just dont remember which one. (I think the full line). I know it was shown at the SHOT show last Jan. Now it will never be, just glad I got my OSS before they become impossible to find.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Those 1911's I really wanted to see, the rest of em I wasn't to upset about... I think Taurus has to many models out right now to begin with and really didn't get the whole hybrid gun *at ALL* however I would of LOVED to get a anniversary 1911 and I would still love a Taurus dedicated 22 upper for the PT1911... and how about a commander and officer size 1911, quit wasting time on 28 gauge handguns and more polymer lines when you already have the G2 the 800 series and the Milpro line. Just saying... just saying...

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Those 1911's I really wanted to see, the rest of em I wasn't to upset about... I think Taurus has to many models out right now to begin with and really didn't get the whole hybrid gun *at ALL* however I would of LOVED to get a anniversary 1911 and I would still love a Taurus dedicated 22 upper for the PT1911... and how about a commander and officer size 1911, quit wasting time on 28 gauge handguns and more polymer lines when you already have the G2 the 800 series and the Milpro line. Just saying... just saying...
I'd have gone for the anniversary model too. Instead of coming out with endless new models, I'd like to see accessaries for the current models. Sights, grips, spring or trigger enhancements (not likely), add ons of any sort. No aftermarket company seems to take Taurus serious enough to come out with a product, unless it's the PT92.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I think, at least for this year, that the new management has cut many of the new models, as well as a number of old models in an effort to increase quality of production and customer support. The old maxim of do fewer things and do them better, rather than do many things not so well. I think I can live with that.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I would have liked to see one of those PT2011's, but other than that I'm not to upset about the rest.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Funny summation in your pic.

:icon_ rofl:

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
I just wish they'd add a "discontinued" section to their on line catalog to help potential new buyers make better decisions.

It's disheartening when you get your mine and wallet set on a particular model only to find that it's no longer available. :(

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I think, at least for this year, that the new management has cut many of the new models, as well as a number of old models in an effort to increase quality of production and customer support. The old maxim of do fewer things and do them better, rather than do many things not so well. I think I can live with that.
I had heard the same thing about the new CEO's intention to cut back many of the product lines.

I've read on this forum where some of our own members have even stated that they think Taurus makes too many lines of handguns.

The Judge is the best-selling handgun in the Taurus lineup...and guess what? It's one of the newer lines. :D

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I was also told that the Poly Judge has had a large price reduction to make it more competitive.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I would agree on the need to slim the lines down. As far as I see it, that is occurring.

IMHO stick with the
milpro's
800 series
1911's (add officers and gov't)
pt92 and it's variants

skip the rest, aside from revolvers, I don't pretend to know enough about wheelguns and don't even want to venture a guess at how many different models are available for whichever caliber you fancy.

In my opinion the striker fired full sized polymer guns are a waste, glock, springer, s&w and sig pretty well take the cake on that portion of the firearm market, so leave it alone.

I agree with the thought of it being better to do a few things extremely well than a lot of things marginally well. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
IMO, all the Taurus pistols are good buys. Lifetime warranty is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I don't know why they discontinued the 900 series. I would have liked to see the .22LR Conversion Kit for the PT1911. I have no intrest in a Judge or polymer semi auto, and it looks like thats the direction Taurus is going in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts