Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting a Taurus 1911 and looking for opinions from people who have purchased one. I have handled and shot one at my local range, but wanting some long term opinions on reliability and shootability. I am not unfamilar with the 1911 series and currently own three. Just looking one more I guess

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have over 4000 round through my PT1911. (I quit counting after that). the pistol is amazing. The finish wears easily & the grips leave a little to be desired, but for a reliable, accurate 1911 right out of the box the Taurus can't be beat!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The finish wears easily...
Do you have a blued model that's loosing it's finish too quickly? How long have you owned the pistol, and is the finish wear from holster wear, or something else?

·
Registered
27 Posts
With one exception (the finish) it is a well made gun. I like mine and would not hesitate in buying another. Waiting for a commander size in stainless.
Dallas Jack

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the Taurus website I see where they have a commander sized SS listed but it appears that it has not in full production yet. That is probably the one that I will be interested in obtaining.
I had one of their blued revolvers for a couple of years and the finish seemed to wear pretty quick compared to S&W. Currently I have a M66 in SS and a M85Ti. Very satisfied with both, the 85 is my everyday gun and my daughter begged me out of the 66 for her house gun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, Trip20. My PT1911 is blued. It has been holstered & drawn many times. That's where the wear comes from. I don't suppose that the finish on a PT would be an issue if one was to haul it around in a padded gun sleeve to the range & back. Personaly, the wear does not bother me. I bought the thing to use, not to be a safe queen!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had one for a couple of months. Only have 475 rnds through it so far. Have been shooting back to back with Springfield Champion. At this time I have no issues. Have shot swc-hp-fmj. both guns shat them all. The finish on mine is a soft matt,or dull blue. Is already wearing where trigger finger go's in guard. As someone else remarked so what. I like the pistol and plan to shoot it a lot.
James :-[ ::) :'(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, from what y'all are telling me the pistol functions well and digests most types of ammo. The finish is not that big a deal with me as I plan on waiting till the stainless commander version gets to my favorite gun store.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got my PT1911 last August, I have 1200+ thru it and absolutly ZERO malfunctions it has replaced another makers 1911 as a daily carry with me and it was 1/3 the price. I was lucky enough to have use of a Ransom Rest last OCT. and it delivered a 1.6 inch group @ 25 yds.
Yes it's the blue version but after the finish wears a little more I will send it off to the people that do the S&W factory reblueing. I put a set of VZ320 grips on it also, carried in a Ranger Gunleather evolution holster.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Taurus 1911 .45 ACP

March Issue of "Guns Magazine"

Taurus 1911 by Charles E. Petty

"Quite simply put, this is the best $617 1911 pistol I have seen in years. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a mass-produced 1911 with as much to offer at anywhere close to the price. Retail for the standard blue pistol is $617, but once the initial demand is met, we'll likely see street prices of $500 or less."

Specs include: Locked breech , 8.6" overall length, 5" barrel, 38 oz weight, 8+1 capactiy, Heinie fixed sights, black plastic grip, ambi safety, checkered grips. MSRP $617.00.

Excellent review. He calls it an exceptional value, and great performer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Taurus 1911 .45 ACP

Mine was 480.00 out the door in Aug. 2006 I think it is one of the steals out there for 1911 pistols only thing I've done is replace the grips with a set of VZ 320's but the stock plastic ones were OK gun shoots like a dream no break in required.

·
Registered
790 Posts

The review did not mention a stainless model, but I would suspect that should be coming by spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
James Mullins said:
I've had one for a couple of months. Only have 475 rnds through it so far. Have been shooting back to back with Springfield Champion. At this time I have no issues. Have shot swc-hp-fmj. both guns shat them all.
James :-[ ::) :'(
I can REALLy use some advice from you. I am presently trying to decide between those two pistols. I will carry whatever I buy IWB.

The good thing about the Springfield - shorter.The Taurus website says the length of the PT1911 is 6.5", but I think that's a misprint.

The bad thing about the Springfield - the sights, which look pretty pitiful and one less round in the magazine

Since you have both I will really take your advice seriously.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey people, I just called Taurus early this very afternoon. I am
waiting for the stainless version also, to come out. I want that PT1911C.
The lady on the phone told me, it was due out any time between NOW,
and June.

That's a very noncommital answer. Guess I'll continue to wait. But, I
am not buying until they come out with the stainless version. With all the
favorable reports I've read about the PT1911, I almost bought the blued
version. But, I'm holding out for the stainless compact version.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

chewybaca said:
Does anyone have any info. on when the stainless version will be out?
Hey, I just got through posting that info on another thread about the 1911. I called
Taurus this afternoon. The lady told me any time from now until June. I also,
am waiting for the PT1911C in stainless.

·
Registered
123 Posts

June?!?! Well, I guess that'll give plenty of time to make PT-1911 jar in my safe for a $20.00 bill every now and then. By June I should be ready.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

Darn Chewy! That reply was so quick. I just realized that
you were also on line! Yeah, that's what I'm doing, putting away
some mad (PT1911C) money. I should also be in good shape when
they finally come out with it.

I've been going on the Taurus USA site every couple of days, looking for
updates. Same old thing, "TBA"

·
Registered