Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
It should be around 5 lbs. For the EXACT weight of your particular pistol, you will need one of those trigger weight scales because each pistol could be slightly different.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. sorry for being a newbie but ive heared people saying the sensitivity of their trigger is a around 3 lbs. what does that mean???? less force to your finger the weapon will fire?????

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It seems that a lot of newbies mantra is to have a 3 lb trigger. Light trigger pulls work well when target shooting since there is less tendency to pull off of targert. However combat ratings for trigger pull is at least 5 lbs to avoid accidential release.

Since the Taurus PT1911 comes with a set of combat sights, it would seem that the 5 lb weight would be a pretty good match.

Reactions: Steyr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys just bought the pt 1911 today, stocks just arrived this morning cant wait to get my hands on them (processing will be at least 3-4 weeks) first thing i would do is modify the trigger pull. i dont carry guns around except to the range

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just read this and had my 1911 recently at the gunsmith. I was one of the unfortunate people whose ambi safety was broken and I did not want to send it back to Taurus to get it replaced. Anyway the point about the trigger pull. I had the gunsmith gauge the pull and mine was just a hair above 4 lbs. from the factory. This guy builds custom 1911's and he said not unless I was going to shoot competition, he would not adjust it any lower, especially if I was thinking about carrying it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
When I bought mine is Feb, 2008 we tested it at the shop. It was 4.5#, but that was before 3000 rounds.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Inconsistency in the factory trigger pull weight from one pistol to another is one of the few complaints I have heard about the PT1911.

Mine FEELS like about three pounds, but it could be four. It is as light as I want it to me. I have shot IPSC 1911s that had trigger pulls measured in ounces and had an AD with one about 20 years ago... into the ground at the range fortunately.

The thing I like best about the trigger pull on my PT1911 is that it is crisp and consistent. Whatever the trigger pull is like, if it is the same shot after shot, you can get used to it.

I've also noticed my pistol throws the brass all to the same general area, meaning it is coming into battery the same on each shot... crucial for a good group. When I first started with INS, we were issued Beretta Centurion DAO .40s. Those things never throw the brass in the same direction twice in a row, much less to the same area.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
All three of my PT1911's break around 4 lbs. Since replacement of the ignition parts with Wilson Combat, the break is much more crisp and has absolutely no creep. I just love these pistols!

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
rogertc1 said:
How many people have a trigger pull guage at home? I don't. Lot of hearsay.
When you've pulled enough triggers, you can kinda guess at it and get pretty close to right.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Big Ugly Tall Texan said:
When you've pulled enough triggers, you can kinda guess at it and get pretty close to right.
Very true...I can guess to within 1/2 pound on every gun I own.
(Verified by PD rangemasters ;))

·
Registered
44 Posts
Guessing the weight of a trigger pull is just that a guess. Get a electronic pull gauge and test, a lot of triggers are a lot different than said.
Most gun shops will test for you if you do business with them. Dont feel bad if you go into a shop who you dont do business with and they ask 5 bucks to check.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm less concerned about the actual number than I am with feel of the trigger. I can deal with a slightly heavier pull if it's smooth and consistant. I never learned to like my 1st gen pt111's trigger, but I've been happy with the PT1911 right outta the box. Not that it couldn't be improved. I bet a drop of gun butter would make it just fine.

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
On a self defense handgun, knowing the exact weight of the trigger pull serves no practical purpose. As long as it is light enough for accuracy, heavy enough for safety, crisp and consistent.

Before I bought my PT1911, I had heard stories that some of them came out of the box with heavy trigger pulls and others had trigger pulls that would change. I have not found that to be true with mine. The trigger pull has been just about perfect for me and hasn't changed one whit after a couple thousand trigger pulls. There was no break-in period, by the way.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
13 Posts
All this talk is great... except, no one has answered the real question... is the stock trigger adjustable by the owner? If so, where can one find the instructions for doing so? I don't want to install an after market trigger when this pistol is supposed to be adjustable. If anyone knows where one can find a good instructional video or printed article on adjusting the stock PT 1911 trigger pleas let me know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts