Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the Taurus 1911 45. compare to the Armscor 45. I have been shooting a high point 45. for over a year and want to step up to a higher quality gun without spending a fortune.

·
Registered
126 Posts
By Armscor I assume you mean the Rock Island? I looked at it and for the price it's a pretty decent gun but the Taurus seemed much better made, although the RIA is a more "true" GI style 1911. There was also a pretty decent price spread here, at the time the Taurus was $429 and the RIA $310. The RIA tactical is closer to the Taurus in features and price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had one of the Rock Island .45's for a while. It was nice, but for some reason I upgraded to a Springfield Milspec .45. Both were pretty much the same. However, the Rock Island had about 10 malfunctions in the 200 rounds I shot it. I never really gave it a chance, but it was tight. The Spingfield has been flawless for about 1000 rounds. I think the Taurus is the better of these two, although I have only held the Taurus, not shot it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The new Taurus 1911 is a sweet gun. Sure, it hasn't been out for a long time and there might be some issues with them that haven't popped up yet, but the fit and finish seems to be very good. They have added so many nice "extras" to the gun and it's all included in the price. There are a bunch of guys who have them who praise them.
I am personally more of a GI 45 guy but if I wanted something with all the bells I'd take a very hard look at the Taurus as well as the Springer Loaded version.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You would do better to compare the Taurus 1911 to a Kimber 1911 or a high end Springfield 1911 then anything else. It has the options, fit and reliability that you would expect to find on the high dollar pistols (but don't always get...kimber....). It annoys me when because of price, people compare it to standard or basic model 1911's, when it is far from it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a Charles Daly EFS (made by Armscor) and a PT1911. I took them both to the range the other day just for a comparison. The CD in stainless is heads and shoulders above the Taurus in appearance. The CD, on the other hand, has plain black sights. I find that I can shoot it well even without the dots. I don't have the problem with the Heinie straight eight sights that some have, so I'll give the Taurus a slight nod there. The Taurus has the checkering on the front strap, but it's so fine I really don't feel any extra stiction from it. The same for the checkering under the guard, I know it's there, but I'm not that aware of it when I'm shooting. The trigger on my CD has been replaced and a full-length guide rod added. The only thing new on the Taurus is a new set of grips. The plastic wasn't bad, but c'mon, put a set of decent wood grips on the thing. Bottom line... I would buy either of them again. Once I replaced the factory mags on the CD it has been rock solid. Both will feed hollow points, although I need to keep pressure under the mag on the PT to get the first one to chamber properly. If I use the slide release, the PT chambers hollow points without any pressure on the mag.

edison

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I recently purchased a Taurus PT1911 (mainly because I heard the price was going up and it is a steal at this price). At the shop where I bought the PT1911, they also had a Rock Island Tactical for $20 more than the Taurus. I looked over each and I was more impressed with the build quality of the PT1911. Just looking at the backstrap, the gaps around grip safety are much smaller on the Taurus as opposed to the Rock Island. The Taurus is a tighter build with no slop/rattling when you shake it, while the Rock Island is a loose fit. Then you add the custom touches like a trigger job, polished ramp, etc that the Taurus has and the Rock Island doesn't and there is no comparison for the money. The Taurus is a finished gun, while the Rock Island is a good starting point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own a PT1911 and havve found it ro be an excellent gun with many "extras" found only on much more expensive 1911's. Last Christmas we bought our son a RIA 1911. He has a small range at his home and has fired countless rounds thru that RIA with never a hiccup. It's not fancy, it doesn't have a bunch of bells and whistles, but when you fire it, it goes bang. And without question, RIA has probably the best customer service you'll find. You can check on M1911.org forum, Armscor/RIA and see what they say about Ivan and customer service. So, in the final analysis, you'll pay a bit more for the Taurus PT1911 but you'll get a dependable, well made 1911 with lots of extras. If you want a bare bones reliable , inexpensive 1911, the RIA won't disappoint you. Either way, you'll be happy.

·
32,564 Posts
Armscor even has had at other forums members from the Phillipines check in on this.

Their take was that the Armscor 1911 clones and the revolvers made were serviceable, but not outstanding. In other words, like any budget priced gun, they get the job done.

Having seen a good cross sampling of Taurus 1911 users here and at other fourms it would seem that the PT1911 trumps the Armscor on some accounts.

The Armscor still makes a decent pick for defense and as far as fun shooting goes. Those who want a bit better go of it will probably go with the PT1911.

Auto Ordnance, Kahr's subsidary, builds budget priced semi-autos also.Many makers do this and all seem to function well enough.

Many like to take a basic brand and custom build from there. Norinco 1911s come to mind. So its up to the individual as to what you want to do. :)

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
rock island tactical close to pt 1911 500 to 550 taurus around same price but has polished feed ramp and other up grades. Price wise stripped rock island gi for 400 I have owned several of both 1911 ss out preforms all rock islands in shooting but RI has one of the best customer services there is IF I were to buy another Rock Island it would be a !0mm

jhp

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Many of the import companies are now competing quite closely with Taurus and the PT1911.
speaking of my particular weapons, and i own 4 PT1911's and 2 Rock island 1911's.
The Rock island tactical 45 acp was not a super great gun out of the box, it cost me about 475 out the door, but after a trigger change , a total breakdown and some smoothing it actually turned out to be a very nice 1911.
2 of the taurus recieved the strip and smoothing as well, 2 were simply no need to do anything and one the 38 Super is still one of the most accurate 1911's that i own.
BUT now in my mind there is NO comparison in the rock island tactical 2, it is 10 MM however.
it came stock with a fully ramped and supported barrel, VZ grips, ambi safety, speed hammer, vent trigger, adjustable sights, polished feed ramp, Fibe roptic front sight, magazine well, and a trigger that breaks crisp and cleanly at right at 4 pounds.
all that for 619.99, the taurus in blue here sales at 579.00, thats with fixed sights, plastic grips,conventional barrel setup,(not thats not good its just not fully supported barrel).
Reportedly Rock island has one of the best customer service departments going, and they offer a fair customer support base Via the repair station I understand.
I would imagine that the tactical II will be produced at least in 45 acp and 9MM in the near future!
I am waiting on a tactical II in 38 super myself.
anyway thats the way MY 1911's stack up, different guns may provide different results.
heres My pic for best 1911 bang 4 the buck.

Attachments

Reactions: JHPRICE

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Many of the import companies are now competing quite closely with Taurus and the PT1911.
speaking of my particular weapons, and i own 4 PT1911's and 2 Rock island 1911's.
The Rock island tactical 45 acp was not a super great gun out of the box, it cost me about 475 out the door, but after a trigger change , a total breakdown and some smoothing it actually turned out to be a very nice 1911.
2 of the taurus recieved the strip and smoothing as well, 2 were simply no need to do anything and one the 38 Super is still one of the most accurate 1911's that i own.
BUT now in my mind there is NO comparison in the rock island tactical 2, it is 10 MM however.
it came stock with a fully ramped and supported barrel, VZ grips, ambi safety, speed hammer, vent trigger, adjustable sights, polished feed ramp, Fibe roptic front sight, magazine well, and a trigger that breaks crisp and cleanly at right at 4 pounds.
all that for 619.99, the taurus in blue here sales at 579.00, thats with fixed sights, plastic grips,conventional barrel setup,(not thats not good its just not fully supported barrel).
Reportedly Rock island has one of the best customer service depeartments going, and they offer a fair customer support base Via the repair station I understand.
I would imagine that the tactical II will be produced at least in 45 acp and 9MM in the near future!
I am waiting on a tactical II in 38 super myself.
anyway thats the way MY 1911's stack up, different guns may provide different results.
heres My pic for best 1911 bang 4 the buck.
I can attest to Armscor Precision Customer Service first hand. I bought a RIA/Armscor 1911 CS new and promptly screwed up buy not putting in the Recoil Spring reverse plug in lined up wrong. Fire 4 shots before it locked up and breaking it. Called Armscor Pecision and they sent FedEx to pick it up within 2 hours of the call. I sent it back and got a call from Arnel their head gun smith. He asked me a couple of questions about what I wanted to do with the gun and I told him I had planned on using it for a daily carry CDW gun. I also asked about installing Trijicon night sights which he said sure but would have to pay what they cost him. I got the gun back in 5 business days with a polished speed ramp, put in a better extractor, slightly heavier springs, replaced the barrel with a match grade and titiumn firing pin. He installed the sights and finished off the front sight to match the shape of the slide perfectly. I paid Brownells' price they charged him for the sights with the rest on them. I got the gun back with an extra magazine, poker chips, decals and two towels with Armscor sewn into them.

I later purchased a MAPP1 MS used and had problems with it jamming the first time I tried to fire it. It would cycle the first 4 rounds perfecly but from 5 on no way. I sent it in for repair and got a new gun back in exchange with in 7 business days with another batch of goodies and an extra mag, again no charge with it all covered under their warranty. I've dealt with Taurus, Rossi, S&W, Ruger, EAA and others through the year and by far they are the best I've ever done business with. I might add I got all parts back on the 1911 that was replaced as well as full list of the parts, maker of them and the prices of what they paid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
By Armscor I assume you mean the Rock Island? I looked at it and for the price it's a pretty decent gun but the Taurus seemed much better made, although the RIA is a more "true" GI style 1911. There was also a pretty decent price spread here, at the time the Taurus was $429 and the RIA $310. The RIA tactical is closer to the Taurus in features and price.
Now it's a flip flop, Last time I checked the Rock Island tactical was more expensive than the Taurus.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Now it's a flip flop, Last time I checked the Rock Island tactical was more expensive than the Taurus.
Right now here the Tactical II ( notice I said 2) is selling at 649.99, the taurus PT1911 is selling at 579.99.
for the 70 bucks extra you get a set of VZ G-10 grips, a magazine well, a front fiber optic sight, and a fully adjustable rear sight, fully ramped and supported barrel.
That 70 bucks buys a lot of good stuff in my opinion.
other than that it has all the same stuff that the Pt1911 does.
When i bought mine it was 619,99, I fugured they would go up and they have.
Mine was a 10MM , which i wanted, but they have now released the 45 acp .
My accuracy changes day to day, some days better, some days great, some days---ahhhh -=adequate. BUT honestly so far with soem 800-900 rounds through this weapon the days have been very good.
today at the range 100 rounds from 7 yards to 25 yards, 14 rounds at each yardage of 7-10-12-15-18-21-25 and all was in the 9 -10 ring.
I shot 14 rounds to the head at 7 & 10 yards,after that it was all COM shots.
Very good pistol for my money.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
616 Posts
Centerfire Systems is now selling them for $519.99 but they are out of stock.

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Centerfire Systems is now selling them for $519.99 but they are out of stock.
Thats a good price!
of course now when the gun shops around here don't have them in stock they usually run about 400 bucks!-LOL
figure FFL transfer and shipping would add 40-75 bucks depending on where you are.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Taurus is high quality, I won't change. I'm loving my PT1911.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yeah i am still trying to find one of those RIA tac II in 10 mm other then on the net, i want to be able to physically hold and inspect the pistol before buying. My PT 1911 has been 100% reliable and very accurate but here they have gone up in price since i bought mine. There are quite a few good 1911's in the same price range it just comes down to preference. With all parts being restricted it may sway some buyers to another brand if they don't have the ability fit aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
478 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts