Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
Hi Bob, welcome from Northern Illinois! I don't have one...yet, but have run the heck out of a PT 1911 SS with few issues. Love that gun.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob, welcome from Northern Illinois! I don't have one...yet, but have run the heck out of a PT 1911 SS with few issues. Love that gun.
Two things I’m trying to tell myself, one I have a Taurus model 44 revolver and it has been flawless over 3 years and two I have a gunsmith 3 miles down the road who is stupendous with all guns, but especially with 1911’s. I would rather not have to take it to him to be redone though in any way. Reading about Taurus online, on other forums and review sites always leaves me feeling nervous

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
A lot of the people that bash Taurus have never held one. Yeah they've had their problems like all gun manufacturers but they have done a lot right too. Their 1911 series is superb, about the best value on the market. Like wise with their PT92 which is an improved version of the Beretta. Of course you should shoot it for a while before you do anything to it. I'm betting you won't have too. Good luck!! Oh two more things:

:nopics:

And

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Two things I’m trying to tell myself, one I have a Taurus model 44 revolver and it has been flawless over 3 years and two I have a gunsmith 3 miles down the road who is stupendous with all guns, but especially with 1911’s. I would rather not have to take it to him to be redone though in any way. Reading about Taurus online, on other forums and review sites always leaves me feeling nervous
Well...a little late now to ask about performance :).

I've been wanting to get one for quite some time - I want to finish out my set. I have a full sized Taurus 1911 and a Para Ordinance P10-45 (3" barrel double stack) but now I need a commander and officer sized to round out the collection. Everything I've read and heard - it's a 1911; shoots well. Please let us know how it shoots from your perspective.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Howdy!

I have to PT1911s. The first one had the extractor break early on. With the help of the smart folks on this forum I replaced the extractor myself and the gun has worked fine since. My other PT1911 has worked perfectly out of the box.

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
That is one of the reasons I really like Taurus PT 1911 and the PT 92. They are "generic" in that a lot of aftermarket parts and gunsmiths can get you up and running. My PT1911 had an issue with the ambi safety as the left side lever wasn't grooved properly to let the spring plunger keep it in the gun (found that out later after thinking the spline was supposed to keep them together). I bought an aftermarket single sided SS safety and paid a 'smith 50 bucks to fit both that and an extended slide release to the gun. Beats sending it off to wait weeks for repair in Miami. I also bought a Smith & Alexander magwell and installed that myself.

Now the advantage to Taurus comes when something catastrophic happens. My PT 92 AFS had the locking block break and lock up the slide. Sent it off for under 30 dollars and Taurus installed a new barrel and associated parts and sent it back in about six weeks.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
8,651 Posts
Generally Taurus PT1911's are an excellent pistol. I have owned several and only had issues with one and Taurus fixed it up fine.

·
22,474 Posts
Reading about Taurus online, on other forums and review sites always leaves me feeling nervous
I have been shooting Taurii for what, about 6 years? TCP, then PT-740, non-View, and most recently a model 66. They are, every one of them, excellent guns. I left out the TCP I gave to my daughter, and the PT1911 that I also gave to my daughter.

In my opinion, the most legitimate gripe about Taurus is that their customer service is inconsistent, and when you get the short end of the stick, it can be downright awful. But they've got several guns that I consider some of the best firearms in the industry. The Model 85 and 856, the model 66, the whole PT-111 line (111-G2, G2C, the .40 versions), the model 92, and of course the Judge. I consider all of those slam dunk guns; buy them with complete confidence, because tons of people have done so and been thrilled. And that's not to say the models I haven't listed aren't just as good, I just feel like I have less data on them.

Ignore the haters. That's my advice.

Reactions: loudviking

·
22,050 Posts
Had mine for years. Still shoots better than my Springfield
that I have much more money invested in.

·
Administrator
39,883 Posts
I have a PT1911SS. After thousands of rounds through it, there has never been an issue with it. I probably shoot it more accurately than any of my other handguns. I have had my eye on the PT1911 Officer’s model though.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Just picked up a new Taurus 1911 commander model in 45acp a few days ago, just curious if anyone has one and how the performance and reliability has been on these?
Just depends on that aprticular weapon in my expereince!
I don't have a Commander but do own 4 Governemnt size PT1911.
2 were good out of the box, the other two were problem children needing to return to the mothership, one of them twice.
as you have already purchased the weapon then take that baby out and see how it does for you.
then you know for sure!
welcome to the forum as well.

·
Registered
36,445 Posts
Well...a little late now to ask about performance :).

I've been wanting to get one for quite some time - I want to finish out my set. I have a full sized Taurus 1911 and a Para Ordinance P10-45 (3" barrel double stack) but now I need a commander and officer sized to round out the collection. Everything I've read and heard - it's a 1911; shoots well. Please let us know how it shoots from your perspective.
HMMMM??
Now that you mention that--I don't have a 1911 long slide, and I do have room now that I got my new safe???
my favorite Commander is the para LTC , which is an alloy frame, wonderful tote pistola!

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
  • Atleast one of you asked for some pics, hopefully I uploaded them correctly. If so these are the best I can do for now anyway. Working a lot of hours at the moment. Haven’t shot it yet or added the new rosewood grips to it either. Haven’t even stripped it down and cleaned the shipping grease off yet. Here she is though. Came with a barrel bushing tool, lock, manual, and one 8 rebound magazine that is stamped both “Taurus” and “Mec-Gar”.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
^^ Love those grips!

·
Super Moderator
36,371 Posts
Just saw an email ad for the PT 1911 Officer's model...hmmm

1 - 20 of 44 Posts