Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what can you tell me about these SAA clones? How much do they differ from the other clones on the market?

·
Registered
12 Posts
got a gaucho and some rugers, the differences is the 4 clicks when you pull the hammer back( just like the colts) compared to the other clones 3 clicks. Frame is small with the big cylinder ( kinda like all clones)- ends up being pretty close the the original saa I've seen. The trigger is also small like the colts. Fit and finish is excellent on mine, but have seen some way off ones. Trigger pull on mine is light and crisp- done some fine honing/cleaning .some folks have had trigger parts break down. Only problem I have is some of the early grip frames backstrap is a little different from some newer ones. Have some grips that fit one but doesn't fit the other, just a hair difference. Never took apart to measure, just figgured I'd chalk it up to character and hand fit the grips. For more info and hopefully someone that can explain better ( cause writting isn't my thing) go to WWW.SASSNET.COM and do the search (many posts on that subject)

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I think the target market is SASS shooting, cowboy stuff. Blackhawks are great outdoor guns, very rugged and reliable and strong. They're really not targeted at the same market. They're not close, really, to the old SAA in frame dimensions, much heavier built for .44 mag pressures.. The Vaqueros are Rugers cowboy entry and they're not as strong as the Blackhawks, the new ones anyway, more the equivalent to the Taurus Gauchos. I'd get a Gaucho over an Italian clone, but all in all, I'm a Blackhawk kinda guy. I like the strength, the adjustable sights, and my guns are working guns, not gaming guns.

I have heard of early Gauchos having some trigger sears breaking, but only heard second hand "about" it, do not know it's the case for a fact. It's kinda like that Smith and Wesson lock locking itself, ya know? LOL!

·
Registered
29 Posts
seen the trigger parts break down first hand. Only on 1 gun in my area though.
I would like do the whole cowboy shoot scene very soon. Just waitin on getting a shotgun when the funds are available.
Never thought to post about the Italian clones, only have a Uberti 1851 cart. conversion " man with no name" by Cimmaron. Man, it has a trigger job that is so slick with a very light pull. If the model p's have a trigger like that, I would now consider them above the Gauchos and vaq's .
The blackhawks are indeed Very sturdy, strong and very reliable. I always like the adjustable sights on ereryday revolvers and the availability to shoot 2 different cal's in the same gun (like Davidson's 38-40, 40 cal, 9mm, 38,357 etc.).
Everything depends on what cals you want, barrel length, finish and most of all cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not to brag on an idiotic mistake but....................I loaded my 45 colt Ruger Vaquero SS in 5.5 inch version with 44 mag.why ,dont ask .i thought the recoil was more stout than i remembered the 45 colt rounds to be.ANYHOW ON EXTRACTION I NOTICED THE CASES WERE STUCK A BIT AND BULGED.2 WERE Ruptued and one stuck real good.got it out with a wooden dowl.the cases were esentally fireformed.well ive gone over her with a magnifying glass several times especiallthe chmbers.
well i took her out with 45 colt loads and shot a box threw.semmes fine.strong gun.might add its a first generation Vaquero.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ohhh, most 45 lc bullet diameters are .4515 to .458" diameter- most being the 0.452 size, the 44 mags are around 0.429" diameter . So they slid in the chambers easily? Never tried fitting a 44 in a 45 chamber.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was findling a Gaucho at the one and only gun shop where I'm at. It was a blued/color case hardened 5.5 barrel model witha supper tight Barrel/cylinder gap (which I like!), but the owner wanted $499.00 without tax. :eek: Yikes!!!
On the sub topic here, the NEW Vaqueros con't be loaded up with the +P, heavy duty type 45 LC rounds, but is still a lot stronger than the Colts. I have a New Vaquero 45LC with a 7.5 barrel and a New Model Black Hawk in 45 LC too. Man, you can really see how much bigger the New Model Black Hawk is! I've had the BH for quite awhile and while I used to like hand loading monster magnum 45 LC loads, I've since tammed down quite a bit and enjoy a 255 grain hard Laser Cast RNFP over 8.0 grains of Unique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts