Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I were wondering if anyone here have actually handled a Taurus PT1911 with the Aluminum frame.
If so were the weight difference evident? Were the weight difference significant enough to purchase one with the scope of carrying it EDC?

I just picked up this beautiful SS one last week, but would like a lighter PT1911 to Carry.

THanks for your feedback , btw, Here in the Northeast i have never seen one physically much less handling one, seem like they are common down south though.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I can tell you that I was torn between buying a gorgeous all black PT1911 and the PT1911AL I came home with.

The reason I chose the AL version was because of the very noticeable weight difference between it and the blued version. (Thought I might want to conceal carry the pistol on occasion, so I went with the AL.)

No regrets. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never seen who in person up here(Canada), but while shopping in michigan one weekend I came across one in the Gander store, in Saginaw. I handled it for a while, it in one hand, a regular steel one in the other and the difference is slight but noticable. Now if it is enough, that is something you will have to judge for yourself, personally I find it to be very little.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Less than a pound (10-12 ounces depending on finish) difference in weight, but that can make a big difference where weight is a carry concern.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
well ,you should be able to go to the Taurus website and find that info if the AL (ALR) is still listed.
Mine is about 31 ounces unloaded with no mag, but it does have aftermarket grips on it.
I believe the weight difference is about 6-7 ounces over the all steel Pt1911.
I figure its about like carrying asteel framed PT1911 empty, when carrying the AL fully loaded.
of course if its a railed version then add 2-3 ounces for the weight of the rail.
They are not really that common here in my parts either, occasionally one will be seen.
I like mine more for looks and accuaracy than weight but thats a bonus as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, a regular steel 1911 is too heavy for me to carry i have to adjust my pants too often and it get really heavy just a few hours into my day, 5-6 ounces really doesnt justify buying one , i was hoping to save atleast 10 ounces.

Though it is not a fullsize i will just resort to my Para ord LTC seen here.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, a regular steel 1911 is too heavy for me to carry i have to adjust my pants too often and it get really heavy just a few hours into my day, 5-6 ounces really doesnt justify buying one , i was hoping to save atleast 10 ounces.

That's a really nice pistol.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I were wondering if anyone here have actually handled a Taurus PT1911 with the Aluminum frame.
If so were the weight difference evident? Were the weight difference significant enough to purchase one with the scope of carrying it EDC?

I just picked up this beautiful SS one last week, but would like a lighter PT1911 to Carry.

THanks for your feedback , btw, Here in the Northeast i have never seen one physically much less handling one, seem like they are common down south though.
A bit off topic... Is that a .22 lr conversion slide in the case in your original photo? If so, how do you like it on the PT 1911? I've been kicking around getting one for some cheap plinking fun.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I'll agree with olfarhors - loaded, mine feels about the same as my blued PT1911 unloaded.

The first time I detail stripped my AL, I couldn't believe how light the bare frame is...felt like nothing was in my hand.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts

Taurus needs one like this!

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
I'll agree with olfarhors - loaded, mine feels about the same as my blued PT1911 unloaded.

The first time I detail stripped my AL, I couldn't believe how light the bare frame is...felt like nothing was in my hand.
EXACTLY!
when i first recieved the weapon i thought HMM, not really that much difference, then i took it home and cleaned, as VTB says picked up the frame and WOW! light as the devil!
also A note as i read back through the post I had mistakenly listed the no mag weight at 39 ounces its actually more like 31 ounces, which should be about 6-7 ounces lighter than the steel models without a mag.
hope this didn't cause any confusion to anyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts