Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was able to put together a small (12 people) get together at a nearby range, comprised of co-workers, for a couple of hours of handgun shooting. It's an indoor range, handgun side goes out to 50' IIRC. I was able to kinda sell this to the company as a "teambuilding exercise," so I wondered if anyone has any ideas of some type of "games" or competition we could engage in. Targets are numbered of course, I was thinking 10 round strings, best grouping or best score, maybe start at 10ft and gradually increase distance, etc? We only have the range for two hours, so maybe just take turns burning ammo first time out. Any ideas appreciated. (Oh, yeah, saw Sand Lake pics, so jealous.)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
maybe make small "shooting teams", and they each fire X # shots (lets say 5 apiece), but the team gets to keep the 5 highest scoring hits as their score. That way the "lucky shot" of some members help the teams overall score. Or just add them all together and divide by # team members to get an avg score, do for each team.

Maybe have everyone shoot strong hand first, then weak hand. This can help to illustrate the equality that "everyone sucks with the off-hand".

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
It's great that your company folks went along with your idea! I think first is just the idea of the get together and have some fun shooting together. Are all of the shooters experienced? Maybe some safety and general training will be needed. In future get togethers you might want to have comparable shooters paired against each other. You don't want a newb shooting against a veteran shooter for scores! They do make "battleship", the game, targets

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Oh yes, explaining the importance of safety as a team effort would be a big win for many company-related outings. No difference between using safety to avoid injuring a co-worker with a gun, and using safety to avoid injuring a co-worker with an ill-placed mop bucket.

Or something like that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good ideas, thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
40,507 Posts
Some competitive team vs team or one on one battleship can be fun.

Attachments

Reactions: granthol

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
If you have some who are either inexperienced or have never fired a handgun before, as brotherbrian stated - drill safety first the three primary rules:

1. Always treat a firearm as if it were loaded (even after clearing it, treat it as if it were loaded)
2. keep the muzzle up and down range at all times (or at the ground, but if indoor on concrete, maybe not the best idea)
3. Keep the finger off the trigger until aiming at a target

As for ideas of things to do - do you have multiple targets per lane? It's a bit more advanced, but maybe engage two targets with a mag change in between and time it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts