Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a place on my land that I can target practice, can't call it a range so-to-speak, just a couple home-made target stands, a few metal spinners, and several of those shooting blocks. I also have a few hay-bale targets for my cross bow shooting.

I had the PT-709 Slim with me, also had the PT-22 with me as well.

The Pt-709 was flawless, I loaded all 5 of my mags to the max + 1 in the pipe every mag change. NO FTF, no jambs, just perfect operating performance.

When I first got my Slim, my first few practices, I was not 'on' with the sites, for whatever reason I was just not on, I was hitting my target, but not close patterning. So, I decided to spend more time doing dry practice. I got a Laserlyte target and Laser bullet in 9mm, I have been doing dry practice every night. I have to say ALL that dry practice for the past couple weeks has really paid off, got the sites down, and also the trigger. At first it I was off with the pull, lot of distance to the fire point, the dry practice more than helped get the trigger pull straight and steady. The other change I made to the Slim was the addition of the Hogue Jr rubbers, it sure made for a nice addition, def a difference in the feel in the heel of my hand, I like the Hogue grip rubbers a lot, made it a whole different gun to shoot.

I have always been a dry practice person, but not on a nightly schedule, there is def a great benefit to it, and I plan to keep up doing my dry practice nightly. I am also going to do some target work every other day. Since I plan to use the Slim as a carry weapon, I want to make sure that I am on with it to the max.

The PT-22 is such a nice gun to practice with, it is also a good to go warm-up gun as far as getting in a lot of inexpensive practice. I really like the little gun, it usually is my 'spare' in my truck console. Today at about the 50 round point, one of my handgrips cracked. I have heard a few people say that their grips have cracked, must be that the plastic stuff cannot take the recoil vibes, eh? Anyway, my gun is under warranty, time to let Taurus know the grips are toast and I am in need of replacements. Has anyone replaced them with an aftermarket product? I certainly don't want to have to be playing with grips all the time if they cannot keep up with use. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

CD

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Sounds like a fun day at the "range"! I'm glad you got in some good dry fire practice and got hooked up with your 709. My 709 is a sweet shooter and my EDC. Sorry I can't help you with the PT22 issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey I would love to have enough property to set up my own "range"! As it is I live in a townhouse in Chesapeake, VA so I have to take advantage of the local ranges in the area. I am a member and frequent the indoor range at Superior Gun and Pawn in Virginia Beach, VA as well as the C2 Shooting Center in VB. I usually hit the range every couple of weeks to a month. Only way to keep the skills sharp is to use them! Have fun and keep it safe!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have quite a bit of acreage, small ranch, but I don't have enough FLAT property to set up a LONG distance range, my land is rolling hills with a few good flat spots, I suppose I could get in 300-400ft straight shots, after that, hilly. Where I have my targets set up the hill area is kind of a natural backstop, and I cut out a nice hill wall with my Bobcat where I have my targets, nothing fancy, but does work well. But it is def good for pistol and 100 yard shots at my place. I have a local long distance range nearby, I am a member there so it is always available for rifle or pistol shooting, no indoor range around me that I know of, you can check it out here http://www.capitanhighpower.com/ The club has a nice grounds, holds events, is a great place to shoot.

CD

·
Registered
218 Posts
what ammo do you practice with if i may ask!?

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what ammo do you practice with if i may ask!?

Varies, I have thrown many different brands at the 709S and it eats all of them like candy. This last practice was with Winchester FMJ, Sellers/Beloit and Federal, had several opened boxes with a dozen or so left in each of the boxes, so I practiced with mixed brands to get rid of all the different the open boxes. I have also used TulAmmo, no problems with it either, def not as dirty as some talk about, and just as good as all the rest. I use Hornady hollowpoints for carry.

I will be doing some practicing today, will be with the Winchesters, I like their 100 round boxes, I picked up 10 bricks of them at a gun show a couple weeks ago, got a really good deal on them, $10/hundred. They ought to last a little while, I usually go through about 50 or so with the 709S, but I use quite a bit more with my MPA 9mm when practicing with it . . LOL !!

CD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts