Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geeez... :-\

http://abcnews.go.com/US/Weather/wireStory?id=5469279

Visitors to Yosemite National Park weighed whether to cut their vacations short Tuesday as a destructive wildfire raging miles from the famed wilderness threatened thousands of homes and left evacuees stranded.

Authorities said late Monday the blaze tearing through a steep, dry river canyon had destroyed 25 homes, more than double the number reported earlier in the day. The fire has forced the evacuation of about 300 homes in the nearby towns of Midpines and Coulterville and is endangering as many as 4,000 others.

More than 46 square miles of mostly wilderness terrain have burned since a target shooter sparked the wildfire on Friday. The fire was 10 percent contained Monday night as it burned about 12 miles from Yosemite National Park, which remained open.

Still, some visitors packed their bags and left campgrounds and other areas near the park because of the fire and the smoky haze that accompanied it.

Registered
Smokewagon said:
More than 46 square miles of mostly wilderness terrain have burned since a target shooter sparked the wildfire on Friday.
I'd be interested to know how the "target shooter" sparked the fire. If he threw a cigarette in some dry brush it had nothing to do with him shooting and the mention of it is just anti-gun propaganda. Unless he was firing tracer rounds or behaving in an otherwise unsafe manner I don't see how one has anything to do with the other. JMO.

Registered
I would say you probably hit it on the head with more "anti gun" bs. It's typical of them to grab at any kind of straw to write more anti gun laws. Outside of the title, where in the story did it say anything about target shooters starting the fire, did i miss it? And i have been in the park may times over the years and i can guarantee anyone doing any shooting will soon have a park ranger on their tails.

Registered
I was shooting my AK47 at my parent's property two years ago and they spent cases were hot enough to start the grass on fire. Luckily only .000137 acres were burned. About 2 feet by 3 feet.

Registered
InfidelIllini said:
I'd be interested to know how the "target shooter" sparked the fire. If he threw a cigarette in some dry brush it had nothing to do with him shooting and the mention of it is just anti-gun propaganda.
Great minds . . . that's exactly what I said to my wife when I heard the story on Fox news -- the target shooter started the fire, but it had nothing to do with target shooting (a bullet hitting an object). I would love to see someone try to re-create that little trick.

Registered
VegasGuy said:
Great minds . . . that's exactly what I said to my wife when I heard the story on Fox news -- the target shooter started the fire, but it had nothing to do with target shooting (a bullet hitting an object). I would love to see someone try to re-create that little trick.
It's our perspective as shooters, unfortunately John Q. Public doesn't share that perspective. Now I'll admit I hadn't considered the hot brass angle paulrabe brought up but I'm pretty sure the guys at Myth Busters have declared the old "sparking ricochet" myth BUSTED! ;)

Slightly Off Topic
What I find odd about today's society is how little firearms figure in day to day life. My wife and I were watching Celebrity Family Feud last week and a survey question came up "What would you not want to see in your wife's hands when she was mad at you?" Knife was #1 of the 7 responses and gun wasn't even mentioned. I looked at my wife and said "You wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, would you?" My shoulder is still a little sore. :-[

Registered
Some way a state legislator in Cali, will come up with a law against target shooting. You will only be able to shot at a range.

Registered
As best as I can recall it was a park ranger that claimed the target practice caused the fire. You may have heard the NRA has been making a big push to allow firearms in national parks. This could be the Park Service's way of circumventing the change in law if the NRA is successful. They could still ban firearms as a 'fire hazard.'

I'll give them their due, the Lefties are smart little buggers.

Registered
VegasGuy said:
As best as I can recall it was a park ranger that claimed the target practice caused the fire. You may have heard the NRA has been making a big push to allow firearms in national parks. This could be the Park Service's way of circumventing the change in law if the NRA is successful. They could still ban firearms as a 'fire hazard.'

I'll give them their due, the Lefties are smart little buggers.
Just like the old Officer's guide used to describe us enlisted folks. "Enlisted men are stupid, but they are cunning and sly and bear considerable watch." ;)

Registered
InfidelIllini said:
It's our perspective as shooters, unfortunately John Q. Public doesn't share that perspective. Now I'll admit I hadn't considered the hot brass angle paulrabe brought up but I'm pretty sure the guys at Myth Busters have declared the old "sparking ricochet" myth BUSTED! ;)
And I'm pretty sure that was into a trail of gasoline! I see a target shooter starting a brush fire more likelly if the shooter were laying prone in the dry grass "plinking" with a flamethrower like a .5 BE or something. Other than that I just have a hard time seeing it happening.

Registered
InfidelIllini said:
Just like the old Officer's guide used to describe us enlisted folks. "Enlisted men are stupid, but they are cunning and sly and bear considerable watch." ;)
LOL, that's a good one. :D

Registered
when i heard the story i thought...i have never heard of a hunter starting a fire with their rifle, and this thought also went through my head.
the guys at Myth Busters have declared the old "sparking ricochet" myth BUSTED!

Registered
That could very well be the case...trying to declare guns a "fire hazard" as a way to keep them out of parks. If you think about it, it's very smart. I don't agree with it though.

Super Moderator
I thought all firearms were band from National parks, they are here in the Smokies. You can't even transport them through the park, locked up or even taken apart they will sieze your car and everthing you have with you. The rangers have asked to serch my backpack before because there was a bear attack a few weeks before. and people were freeked out about it.

Registered
i too have to declare this BS, it has no detail at all how a target shooter caused the fire.

if it's true i wanna know how it happen.

Too true,45 Forever. Since it is being considered that national parks gun carrying be reopened the anti-gunners will use anything, innuendo,lies, or otherwise, to prove their point.

A pre-emptive strike as it were.

Registered
45 Forever said:
I thought all firearms were band from National parks, they are here in the Smokies. You can't even transport them through the park, locked up or even taken apart they will sieze your car and everthing you have with you. The rangers have asked to serch my backpack before because there was a bear attack a few weeks before. and people were freeked out about it.
One of the reports I just read said it was started by a target shooter near an entrance to Yosemite, so thier not actually saying the shooter was within the park.

Super Moderator
Close enough for there liberal agenda, its always just some guy with a gun. That happened to shoot the robber but he was such a good boy. Now we got a guy near a park one the best in our Country that was shooting and he caused this massive fire, I call bullshit. I've seen small fires started by shooting in dry grass but you see the smoke and stomp it out. They have been having trouble with firers in Commifornia for ever. I highly doubt this had anything to do with it .

Then they better disarm the ranger because if they have to shoot a bear there mighty flame throughing guns could burn down a park.

What happened before man put these million dollar houses around these area's that's what this is about forest fires have been happening natruraly since the beginning of time and Yellow stone and the Smokies are still here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts