Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got back from the dealers, I've had my eye on a snubbie for a while and been trying to convince myself that it's a good thing to have. Not really a revolver guy(have an old S&W .38 combat masterpiece I think and a Colt SAA, inherited both) but I think a 2" .357 sounds like a good idea.

So what I've been eyeing is a Taurus 651SS, 2", 5 shot, .357 with shrouded hammer. I like the idea of having low profile hammer for concealability but still being able to go SA if I like. I don't think the lightweights are great in .357.

What are thoughts on this gun and a .357 snubnose in general?

Also, he has a Crimson Trace grip for it, what are thoughts on those?

BTW, gun was $309 NIB and grips were $169. Is that pretty good?

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I think a .357 snubby is a must for every gun owner. If I were to own only one handgun, it would be my Taurus 650 CIA .357. It still has the biggest blast of anything I own. I personally feel the .357 round is better than a .45, overall. And of course, you can practice with the cheaper .38 special. Anything around $300 is good for price on what you're looking for. I think I paid about $289 for my 650 a couple of years ago. Don't know much about the Crimson Trace grips. Maybe someone else with experience on those can give you an answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
gjk5, I know you asked about 357 cal. I don't have one of those in a snubbie, but I do have the CIA 850 which is the 38 cal version of the 650 mentioned by michaelfm. It is my favorite of many revolvers. It has been reliable,good trigger(stageable if you want to take slow aim) good finish, and I like the weight of the all steel gun. I did remove the boot grips that came with it and put on a pair of Taurus combat grips, which give you a little more grip to hold on to. I can't help you on the Crimson Trace grips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 650 CIA waiting at the gun shop for me,but I have CrimsonTraces grips on two 3inch revolvers(S&W, Ruger SP101) and they are as fine as frog hair.They make combat shooting(sighting) very very fast. hth Doug

·
Registered
128 Posts
Snubs are so easy to load, handle, and shoot (fun too). They are also quite compact (a little wide at the cylinder), come in a variety of excellent calibers, and are incredibly reliable. I will never go without having one for a CCW option even though I have carried an easier to conceal KelTec alot lately (especially in light clothing seasons). The snub gives me high confidence and I use a NY load (another handgun) so 5 shots (with or without a speedloader) doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd buy a Taurus before I'd buy a new S&W with their idiot-lock. I think your choice is sound. That said, I just bought a pre-lock S&W 640 and am happy with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a model 85 ultralite snubbie in 38 caliber. It's great both at the range and for carry.

I also have a 24/7 Pro in 9mm, but if I could only have one firearm, my 85 would be it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked it up this afternoon, thanks guys. I think I'll be pretty happy with it, the SA capability was a must for me so i think this was the best choice for me. I posted up on Glocktalk with the same question and guess what I got for responses? "Taurus sucks", "No comparison to S&W", "you'll be sorry" etc.

I failed to tell them that this would be my 4th Taurus, what's the point? This 651 will compliment my PT145SS, PT1911 and PT92 nicely.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think you'll be more than happy, my main carry is a 605 w/ crimson trace grips and while its a handfull w/357's it's a dream with 38's. It's strange but the 605 became my main piece and my micro compact 45 is now my BUG go figure

·
Registered
625 Posts
You made a good choice. I had a 605 for a while, which also shoots the .357 and it is a GREAT gun. I wish I had never sold it. Anyway, have fun with it. Those .357 loads oiut of a light snubnose will take some getting used to. They have a little bit of a "sting" to them!

Todd

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Gosh.... I just love my 851

That's at 20 yards shooting double action ( 2 shots were just high, off of the paper )

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
You made a good deal there. Leather would depend on how you wish to carry, but my favorite leather makers are Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks. http://www.mitchrosen.com and http://www.miltsparks.com There are cheaper holsters, but there are no better holsters. Consider a gun belt with that rig, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Ruger SP101 in 2 1/4". It is my bedside gun and I used to carry it in my car. God help anyone who gets shot with 100gr powr'balls that I keep in it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took it out this AM and gave it a whirl. With .38's it was pretty pleasant to shoot and has a great trigger in SA (DA is not bad either). The full boat .357 Hydrashoks were a different story though! That little sucker bites with those, got a nice little red mark growing between my thumb and forefinger from a mre 20 rounds of .357, but I felt I could have shot .38's out of it all day long. I think I'll try some .38 +P's next, but I still like the option of going .357 if I want to.

·
32,658 Posts
Welcome to the Small Magnum Snubbie Revolver Society. Aren't you glad that isn't a Titanium gun loaded with .357 125grain full power loads? Wouldn't that be fun? Glad to hear the 651 is working out for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts