Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once in a while, just to make sure the mag is working, I'll put the mag in and rack the slide. Mag feeds the bullet. Great. Now. For example, on my Ruger P95, I'll slide out the mag. The bullet on the chamber is easy to take out. I just rack the slide back & out flies the bullet. Empty chamber. Now. On my Taurus 24/7 Pro (9mm), this is not the case. Slide the mag out. Bullet on chamber. Rack the slide back......and...well...it stays there. Now. I know and am aware that on this gun it can fire w/o the mag on. Thus, I can see why the bullet stays chambered. Therefore, the question is....how do you take out the bullet from the chamber safely?? ???

·
Registered
127 Posts
When my SKS does that, I just grab the back of the bullet with my fingernails and pull it out. Haven't tried it with my taurus though. Question, why are you doing that with a live round anyway? Snap caps are cheap and they are made for things like that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With the mag out and the slide racked, if they cartridge stays in the chamber you may have a problem with your extractor. If I were you I would pry it out with a screw driver on the same side of the extractor with the slide locked to the rear but make sure you only make contact with the rim of the cartridge. I am not claiming to be an expert but that's what I would do. If you really want to be safe about it take it to a gunsmith.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
worthirt_99 said:
Question, why are you doing that with a live round anyway? Snap caps are cheap and they are made for things like that.
Well. In my logic, I wanted to make sure the magazine was feeding the chamber properly by using a real life situation. It has never been an issue with my Ruger, CZ75B, or Bersa T380. If the bullet is in the chamber, I just rack the slide back and, pffft!, out the full bullet goes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exprt9 said:
With the mag out and the slide racked, if they cartridge stays in the chamber you may have a problem with your extractor.
I have used the gun at the gun range and haven't had a problem with firing it. No stovepiping or misfeed. So. That's why I am curious.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
It could be that as you manually cycle the slide to feed the cartridge, you are not allowing the extractor to catch the rim. Most will recommend that you make sure you pull the slide to the rear and then release it... or with the slide locked, release the lock and allow the slide to seat.

If the gun is ejecting correctly at the firing range, then my guess is this is what is happening.

·
Registered
189 Posts
exprt9 on Today at 02:53:57 AM said:
With the mag out and the slide racked, if they cartridge stays in the chamber you may have a problem with your extractor.
chapulincollorado said:
I have used the gun at the gun range and haven't had a problem with firing it. No stovepiping or misfeed. So. That's why I am curious.
I just did this experiment of yours on my 9mm 24/7 Pro...
Inserted loaded magazine, racked the slide, ammo chambered, released the magazine, checked the loaded chamber indicator...ammo still chambered, racked the slide again...out the ammo goes!

I think exprt9 is correct in saying that you may have a problem with your 9mm24/7Pro's extractor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
matanglawin9mm said:
I just did this experiment of yours on my 9mm 24/7 Pro...
Inserted loaded magazine, racked the slide, ammo chambered, released the magazine, checked the loaded chamber indicator...ammo still chambered, racked the slide again...out the ammo goes!

I think exprt9 is correct in saying that you may have a problem with your 9mm24/7Pro's extractor.
:-\ Ah...dang...pooh!...I guess I'll talke to the gunsmith and have him check it. Thanx. :-[

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you leave the mag in there and rack the slide again does the one in the chamber come flying out and the next get loaded in? if so all is fine. I read somewhere that the extractor on the 24/7 is a little different and I think it needs the magazine to help do something. I am no expert either as you can tell. I ran into this question when I first got my wifes MilPro 9mm. It would do like you said above but if you drop the mag and rack the slide and tilt the gun slightly upward the round will fall back and down and out of the magazine well

I too have a Ruger, Its the P90. I was used to shooting that one for years and years before getting into Taurus. As you said if you drop the mag with one in the pipe and rack the slide hard you might spend a few minutes in the bed room looking for that ejected round lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry about the safety soapbox again. I am still wondering why you are using a live round for this? By the way you make it sound your not doing this check at the range or anything. I'm just confused I guess.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
worthirt_99 said:
Sorry about the safety soapbox again. I am still wondering why you are using a live round for this? By the way you make it sound your not doing this check at the range or anything. I'm just confused I guess.
I do it at the range. Which is where I found out this issue. For some reason or other, I just wanted to see if it worked like my Ruger P95.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
worthirt_99 said:
Gotcha, I'm gonna go sit in the corner with the dunce cap on now.
LOL. Safety recommendations and reminders are always greatly welcomed. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MPanova said:
If you leave the mag in there and rack the slide again does the one in the chamber come flying out and the next get loaded in? if so all is fine.
Sigh. No. It stays there. That's one of the things that I did at the range since remembered doing with the Ruger P95.

you drop the mag and rack the slide and tilt the gun slightly upward the round will fall back and down and out of the magazine well
Unfortunately. No. The bullet stays there in the chamber like it was magnetized.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ok what does it do if.....

You load the magazine with say 8 rounds and pop it in, rack the slide to load the first round, then rack the slide again with out droping the mag, does it eject the round from the chamber and load the next round?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MPanova said:
Ok what does it do if.....

You load the magazine with say 8 rounds and pop it in, rack the slide to load the first round, then rack the slide again with out droping the mag, does it eject the round from the chamber and load the next round?
No. I tried that also. When I shot it at the range, it ejects the shell fine.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ok now Im lost lol

So if you shoot the pistol it cycles the rounds fine but your saying you cant manully cycle the pistol with the magazine in? if thats the case your not pulling hard or fast enough on the slide.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MPanova said:
So if you shoot the pistol it cycles the rounds fine but your saying you cant manully cycle the pistol with the magazine in? if thats the case your not pulling hard or fast enough on the slide.
....and that's what gets me. A short history with my Taurus. When I bought it, I went to the range as is and had FTE's and stovepipes like they were going out of style. Then. I posted in this forum and was recommended to clean and lube. 2nd time I went to the gun range with my Taurus cleaned and lube....it worked like a beauty. **NO** FTE's or stovepipes. Nothing. Nada. Of course, when I tried to cycle it manually, the bullet stays in the chamber. That's why I am not so sure it is ejector. But. Then. I am no gunsmith.

Of course, I am not sure how fast I can rack the sucker before the bullet comes out. ;)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That is a bit strange. next time your at the range ask the guys that work there Im sure one of them will know a little something about whats going on, atleast the guys at the range I go to are pretty smart as far as I can tell lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know this sounds funny, but here it goes. I'm no gunsmith either. A friend of mine was having a problem with FTE and stovepipes like crazy, we ended taking the weapon apart, cleaning the crap out of it, polishing the feed ramp (didn't have to, we were in there and the dremel was out), polished the slide rails then lubed them with a light coat of grease (gun oil will work also.) then put it back together. No problems since

1 - 20 of 25 Posts