Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,829 Posts
Who am I to argue with a shooter and hunter willing to admit that he's got "tender hands?"

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
One thing that won me over to Taurus wheel guns is unbelievable accuracy. Every one I own is amazing.

The .357 Magnum doesn't get its due, also, as a medium game cartridge. It is a powerful round in its heaviest loads and the guns tend to be lighter than .44s for this reason. I'm not sure I'd call a Raging Hunter "light" though. :D

·
Administrator
35,319 Posts
I think when I'm 80, I might have tender hands too. :D Keep on shootin', Mr. Taffin !

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
My blackhawk will put 5 rounds into 4" with iron sights at 100 yards. I don't really think I need better. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
I'm glad to read that. It's been one of my concerns about getting another Taurus revolver. The one I have isn't accurate. I am a bit hesitant to try another because of it. I read all the time here about how accurate they are, but the posts are not very specific about what that exactly means. I can't determine anything from the targets posted. But I can from that article.

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
I'm glad to read that. It's been one of my concerns about getting another Taurus revolver. The one I have isn't accurate. I am a bit hesitant to try another because of it. I read all the time here about how accurate they are, but the posts are not very specific about what that exactly means. I can't determine anything from the targets posted. But I can from that article.
I can tell you in my own case, my first Taurus revolver is a M85 .38 I bought in 1996 to carry concealed. It puts 5 shots into 3"at 25 yards which is decent and quite deadly. I've shot it so long, I have ultimate confidence in it. My second Taurus revolver was a used 4" nickel 66 in nearly as new condition, picked up at a gun show for 200 bucks. It puts 5 into a 25 yard target with 1" accuracy. THAT, my friends, is excellent with iron sights. That's as good as my 6.5" Blackhawk at that range, though the added sight radius of the Blackhawk makes it better at longer ranges. My third is a 3" 66 and it shoots 1.5" at 25 yards and I consider that fine accuracy for a self defense revolver. My 4th is a 605 poly which puts 5 shots into 3", similar to my 85, and was spot on out of the box. The only gripe I had with 'em was the 85 shot to the left out of the box. I eventually had a gunsmith dovetail a front sight into it which I can adjust windage and it's spot on, now, and the black sight is much easier to see in sunlight than the stainless one which is good.

So, these are the specifics on accuracy of Taurus revolvers in MY experience. They'll outshoot revolvers I've owned like a 4" M19 S&W, a 4" M10 S&W, and a Ruger Security Six. Heck, with .38s, my 2" Taurus guns outshoot that Security Six. It shot well with .357, but it was pathetic with .38s which is mostly what I shoot in my .357s for range work.

·
Super Moderator
17,719 Posts
I can tell you in my own case, my first Taurus revolver is a M85 .38 I bought in 1996 to carry concealed. It puts 5 shots into 3"at 25 yards which is decent and quite deadly. I've shot it so long, I have ultimate confidence in it. My second Taurus revolver was a used 4" nickel 66 in nearly as new condition, picked up at a gun show for 200 bucks. It puts 5 into a 25 yard target with 1" accuracy. THAT, my friends, is excellent with iron sights. That's as good as my 6.5" Blackhawk at that range, though the added sight radius of the Blackhawk makes it better at longer ranges. My third is a 3" 66 and it shoots 1.5" at 25 yards and I consider that fine accuracy for a self defense revolver. My 4th is a 605 poly which puts 5 shots into 3", similar to my 85, and was spot on out of the box. The only gripe I had with 'em was the 85 shot to the left out of the box. I eventually had a gunsmith dovetail a front sight into it which I can adjust windage and it's spot on, now, and the black sight is much easier to see in sunlight than the stainless one which is good.

So, these are the specifics on accuracy of Taurus revolvers in MY experience. They'll outshoot revolvers I've owned like a 4" M19 S&W, a 4" M10 S&W, and a Ruger Security Six. Heck, with .38s, my 2" Taurus guns outshoot that Security Six. It shot well with .357, but it was pathetic with .38s which is mostly what I shoot in my .357s for range work.
I'm happy with anything target-configuration revolver that'll shoot under 2" at 25 yards. The Taurus Model 83 I have has oversized throats and does good to stay at 5" at 25 yards. Still a perfectly usable weapon for self defense at normal distances as that would equate to 2" at 10 yards. But not much fun as a range gun.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Gun-Tests Magazine also tested the Taurus new 608 and new 66 (Sometimes they test used), They rated both above the S&W also tested. Oct 2019 edition. No Link.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a raging hunter 454 and it out shot my Ruger super red hawk so I sold the SRH. I also sold my Freedom arms 454 because the RH shot as good and was a much softer recoiling gun to shoot. A 250 grain XTP at 1750 blew a port hole in a hill country white tail deer. Fortunately by RH has an excellent trigger !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 608 which I picked up from Sportsmans Warehouse Black Friday sale two years ago....bought two brushed chrome 6.5" at $299 each and sold one to a friend. It's by far my favorite revolver and is really an exceptional firearm. The only other handgun I own that comes close is a .45 Para Ordinance Expert.... Out of the box using factory loads my 608 drilled holes within 2" at 25yrds. I shoot both eyes open since I have monocular vision so in more capable hands it's probably more accurate. I immediately bought dyes for my Hornady Lock & Load and worked up a favorite reload recipe. Regardless of whether I load light or heavy it's still dead on. I've put about 3,000 rounds thru it and its still perfect. For those unfamiliar with the 608 it hosts 8 rounds and has a ported barrel. Eats 33% more ammo than the 6-shooters though... ;-) I've shot a few other revolvers but this is still my favorite. My Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm is a different story...I can hit the barn if I'm standing close enough to it... My Taurus 738 is a wildcat and a real snapper that's difficult to shoot more than a few rounds because of the small light frame and feels like a bee sting after a couple mags. :) IMG_20151121_124450539_HDR (1).jpg

·
Registered
430 Posts
Taurus....G1219-Taurus-Spread.jpg
This brings me to the latest .357 Magnum being offered to handgunners – the Taurus Raging Hunter, a sixgun especially made for hunting.
That is a heavy looking gun, and if it is meant for strictly hunting; then OK, it would work. I had a Dan Wesson .22 with a heavy 8 inch barrel, and it was clunky.
So, I don't want anymore really heavy revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
It's 54 ounces or something which isn't a big deal for a hunting handgun. My TC Contender is pretty chunky. But, they could have left off the ports on the barrel. Ain't like I can't handle the whopping recoil of the .357 magnum from a 54 ounce gun. :rofl:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the Taurus 44 Magnum Raging Hunter. It is 6 or so inches. It’s recoil is minimal to me with standard ammunition. I got mine in a trade and I am very happy with it. I have S&W, Ruger and Taurus revolvers in 44 Magnum. Taurus stands toe to toe with S&W. Ruger has an unrefined trigger but I have grown accustomed to heavy double action triggers.

Today, I acquired a 605. The trigger is awesome and I can’t wait to field test it.

I also have a Taurus Tracker 22LR, 22 WMR/Magnum conversion. Super fun gun.

Lastly I have a 605 from the 1994 custom shop. Great revolver, too.

I have nothing but high regard for their revolvers. For the money, it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
I have the Taurus 44 Magnum Raging Hunter. It is 6 or so inches. It’s recoil is minimal to me with standard ammunition. I got mine in a trade and I am very happy with it. I have S&W, Ruger and Taurus revolvers in 44 Magnum. Taurus stands toe to toe with S&W. Ruger has an unrefined trigger but I have grown accustomed to heavy double action triggers.

Today, I acquired a 605. The trigger is awesome and I can’t wait to field test it.

I also have a Taurus Tracker 22LR, 22 WMR/Magnum conversion. Super fun gun.

Lastly I have a 605 from the 1994 custom shop. Great revolver, too.

I have nothing but high regard for their revolvers. For the money, it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

Frankly, I'd never fire a hunting handgun like the Raging Hunter in DA. SA is the way to hit game. :D DA is for quick self defense, point and shoot, or for special competition like PPC.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Well, I don't know about you, but I'm getting scary close.
Close went by me 2 years ago come Nov. 19th and my hands are tender and I love the caliber of 38spl/357mag. I've either sold or traded every wheel gun I had in any other caliber.

Now I am totally 38spl/357mag in all my handguns.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts