Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When attending the Shot Show most people (Yup, me included
) are amazed and even a bit intimidated by the physical size and numbers of the show. If you ever walked into a gun show and tried to find a particular vendor for the first time you know what I am talking about. Now take that confusion and multiply it by 1600 vendors over 5 floors and you have an idea of the Shot Show.

Many of those attending get caught up in visiting all the major brand booths and that is how they spend their time. I have learned that while I too visit the name brand booths I have planed ahead and have a list of those I "really" want to see. By doing it this way I find I have the time to wander the "back aisles" and the "dusty corners" of the show and by doing so I find some real keepers.

This review is about one of those keepers. I know that the word "tactical" has been added to everything from firearms and clothing to bacon and bikinis. It seems that everyone selling something wants tactical in the name in hope of selling a few more units.

To me, tactical means something totally dependable, something that allows the successful use of the item in a covert situation, and something that is designed and manufactured with the intent of increasing the success of such a covert undertaking. OH, and I guess it has to be black!

Let me introduce the Tuff Writer Mfg. Company. This company is located in Phoenix, Arizona and they produce, among other things, tactical pens. Now to be completely honest, I have heard of tactical pens for a few years now but I never took them seriously... Shame on me! I dropped the ball!
I am one of those individuals who actually carries a pen with me every day. I appreciate a fine pen as the writing instrument it is and I believe a fine pen makes a statement. I carry a Waterman Pen (Montblanc pens are too thin for my large hands) and if any of you are familiar with the brand you know it is not an inexpensive pen.

Whenever I heard the term "tactical pen" in the past I always thought it was some sales gimmick and that it could not, in any way, out perform my Waterman. Like I said earlier... boy, was I wrong!

When I stumbled onto the Tuff Writer Booth (it was tiny... in fact, the company was sharing a small booth with another equally small company) I was welcomed by Lesley Roman. He is a very enthusiastic individual and proud of his product. I asked him to educate me on what exactly a tactical pen was.... he explained it was a pen that would be your last ditch tool for your self protection in a case where you were not permitted by law to carry a firearm or other weapon. It is a protection device you can carry on a plane through a security check point or even into an area that society may frown on weapons such as a church.

Tuff Writer makes 4 different model pens... the Titanium, the Operator, the Precision Press, and the Front Line. They are manufactured from 6061-T6 Aerospace Grade Aluminum or pure Titanium and are also offered in a variety of colors and finishes. They also produce tactical pencils, lights, and watches.

After I heard what Leslie had to say about his product I told him I was impressed and that I was going to research personal defense using a pen as a weapon. I told him after I did some research I would like to try out a tactical pen both as a self defense weapon as well as a daily writer. He immediately handed me one of his tactical Operator pens and told me to give it a workout. The operator is a bit thicker than the other Tuff Writer pens at 5/8ths of an inch thick as well as a bit heavier at one and a half ounces.

I am in no way an expert at self defense methods using a pen. I have however, in my short (so far) research found that a pen is very capable of disabling if not fatally injuring an attacker. At this point I think I can defend myself from a sudden attack better with the pen than with a knife. Before everyone stones me for uttering such blasphemy let me explain. I can always have my pen, even where my knife is not allowed or available. My pen does not advertise it is a weapon as trying to pull out a knife would do. Finally, if you can stab or poke you can use the pen to stop an attacker. I am not suggesting y'all leave your gun at home but if, due to circumstances beyond your control, you have to don't forget your pen!

My Tuff Writer Operator is amazingly strong! It will withstand pressure of more than 750 PSI before it will bend or crush. It uses a thixotropic ink in the hermetically sealed cartridge and is pressurized to nearly 35 psi The cartridge lasts three times longer than a standard ballpoint pen. With an estimated shelf life of 100 years, the pen writes at altitudes up to 12,500 feet where most other pens simply won't and no matter how harsh the conditions the pen will work with operating temperatures from -30 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (-35 to 120 degrees Celsius).

Before I told y'all that this pen was tough and could be depended on I wanted to make sure it was. I took it out to the barn and proceeded to see what I could do with it. I am happy to report that simply using an over hand stabbing motion the pen was able to completely penetrate a piece of half inch plywood. It also penetrated a piece of half inch sheet rock using a simple poking motion. My biggest surprise came when I was able to penetrate a piece of half inch plywood covered in heavy tar paper with an outside sheet of corrugated steel roofing! All this from a weapon that is legal to carry anywhere and is accepted everywhere! Imagine what that kind of penetration would do against flesh and bone if it ever became necessary to use it...

Finally, I would like to say this... given my life as it is and where I spend most of it I don't see myself needing a back up gun or spare magazines. I don't see myself getting into a running battle with bad guys where I will have to duck behind a dumpster and shoot through car doors. This being said, I am confident my concealed carry firearm (a Glock 26) with what the magazine holds (15 rounds) will protect me should the need arise. At the same time, due to my exposure to the Tuff Writer Pen and the research I have done since then I will be carrying a back up pen! I will be talking to Mr. Roman at Tuff Writer about purchasing another pen for my daughter to use at school! Pens are completely legal on campus!

Check them out, do your research and I think you will agree with me that this is a form of self defense that anyone, men, woman, and even children can be taught to use to protect their life when other weapons are not available!

Tuff Writer Mfg.
[URL]http://www.tuffwriter.com/[/URL]
Phoenix, Arizona
480-205-5359

Don

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I know the saying: "You get what you pay for." But, at $89 to $205 for a pen, that I might have to use, I think I will have to pass.

That was an excellent writeup and I thank you for that.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Well written review. Might be something to consider adding to the daily carry.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I know the saying: "You get what you pay for." But, at $89 to $205 for a pen, that I might have to use, I think I will have to pass.

That was an excellent writeup and I thank you for that.
The ink cartridges are replaceable, making the price a little easier to swallow.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I got one of those when I clicked on one of the "Survivalist" ads on the web. No money or credit cards - just one of those "Get a free tactical pen". They said nothing about a "Tactical Folding Knife" but one of those came as well. Yes, I did start getting a lot of spam from them but assigned the "From" address to my spam filter and that took care of that!

They are both branded hoffman Richter for whatever that is worth. And, yes, the pen is equipped to take ink refill cartridges.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,601 Posts
So, that is a tactical pen. Huh!

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
So, that is a tactical pen. Huh!
Uh, I guess so. Had never heard of them till I ran across that online AD. The shell is hard as nails and it does write. There are apparently many on the market, as evidenced by the posts here as well as what you will find if you do a search for them. I probably wouldn't have ever bought one due to the expense (some run > $200) as well as the fact that I'm retired so don't travel or work in an office setting anymore; but the one I got was free . . .

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Guess they never saw "The Bourne Identity"

Jason took out a Tier 1 Assassin with a .49 cent Bic pen!
And there you have it.

(I just typed that on my tactical keyboard by the way)

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Or Grosse Pointe Blank:

I admit I do own one that came in a gift set, but it's heavy and stands out like a sore thumb with a shirt pocket sagging. I would rather carry a small fixed blade knife for less weight & cost. YMMV.

Here's one that costs less than $30

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'll throw in. I got this Gerber about a year ago. It's heavy and has a glass breaking tip. I only bought it because I wanted a nice work pen, it looked cool and I like Gerber products. Not the baby food. It came with a Rite in the Rain ink cartridge but Parker refills fit and I much prefer them because they are a smoother finer writing refill. I'm in the medical field and do a bit of writing everyday. This heavy pen is great to write with and nobody tries to keep my pen. It does not make my scrubs pocket sag because I wear nice thick scrubs. Forgive me my nerdness. The finish is worn from rubbing against my Gerber pocket clip knife. They ride side by side.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
FWIW, any old stick pen can be used for pain compliance. Like the Nun used to grab your earlobe, just put the lobe between the end of the pen and your thumb. Amazing how how can get someone to moonwalk right into their cell with just a little ol' pen. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I got this one for Christmas....

DSC_3003.jpg

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Always enjoyable to read a review by someone who genuinely regards the product as excellent. Thanks for the review BangBang!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or Grosse Pointe Blank:

I admit I do own one that came in a gift set, but it's heavy and stands out like a sore thumb with a shirt pocket sagging. I would rather carry a small fixed blade knife for less weight & cost. YMMV.

Here's one that costs less than $30
The one I tested weighs one and a half ounces..... doesn't pull down any of my pockets.

Good luck with that fixed blade.... see what happens if you get caught in the court house, going into school with a child, or getting on a plane with it. That's just to name a few places that you can carry the pen!

Don

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have a S&W, the only pen I have and that's all I need!
screenshot_3_2_13_6_54_pm.jpg

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Good review BangBang! I've been intrigued by the Tactical Pen for a while. Now I'm thinking of putting one on my list of needed equipment. :) Way to go! More money going bye bye! :D

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
The one I tested weighs one and a half ounces..... doesn't pull down any of my pockets.

Good luck with that fixed blade.... see what happens if you get caught in the court house, going into school with a child, or getting on a plane with it. That's just to name a few places that you can carry the pen!

Don
Never said the pen doesn't have its place in "certain situations". However your points are well taken. Most security/police worth their salt know about these pens and yes they do set off metal detectors, so you may find it difficult to get them into a "weapons free" zone also. ;)

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
The pen I always have with me is a Pilot G2 Limited, with a Mont Blanc gel rollerball in it.
I did have one taken away by security at the entrance of a concert, made no sense to me but the car was too far away to go put it away. Tried calling the venue after to get it back but of course that's free loot for the security jerks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts