Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used Chiappa 1911 22, it came with a TE-22 Tactical Extender. Are these legal to have and use. thanks for any help with question.

·
22,292 Posts
welcome from New Mexico.JPG

One question; what the heck is a tactical extender? I google it and get pictures of thigh holsters, bits of web gear, and some pictures that look like suppressors. I think fake suppressors are generally legal (barring silly state regs - lookin' your way, CA, IL, NY, MD...), but hard to generalize without being sure what we're talking about and where you are.

I'm sure someone less ignorant than I will be along shortly. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
View attachment 105200

One question; what the heck is a tactical extender? I google it and get pictures of thigh holsters, bits of web gear, and some pictures that look like suppressors. I think fake suppressors are generally legal (barring silly state regs - lookin' your way, CA, IL, NY, MD...), but hard to generalize without being sure what we're talking about and where you are.

I'm sure someone less ignorant than I will be along shortly. Again, welcome!

When you see a thigh holster, the tactical extender is a short ( around 3") extension to lat the rig sit lower for us long Gorilla armed type people.

The rest are plain useless barrel extensions designed to look like suppressors even though they do nothing.

Probably used more to make a pistol with a stock into a legal rifle.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
22,292 Posts
Ah, yes, I think we're talking about this:

1911-22_USTactical-lead.jpg

If you bought it from a dealer, there's little risk that it's not legal for you. The only example I can find of a fake suppressor being declared a regulated item by the ATF was on a rifle. For whatever that's worth. I'd suggest calling a local gun shop as a good starting point.

How's she shoot?

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
I bought a used Chiappa 1911 22, it came with a TE-22 Tactical Extender. Are these legal to have and use. thanks for any help with question.
Check with your State Attorney Generals office.
To my knowledge there Is no Federal law against it as long as its not a true suppressor.
many companies offer these for the Tacti-cool factor, to me personally the are useless only adding weigh and hiding the sights, but what ever floats your boat.
here they are legal.

Reactions: jwc007 and jtg452

·
22,292 Posts
many companies offer these for the Tacti-cool factor, to me personally the are useless only adding weigh
Extra weight out front can really help control the muzzle flip from that vicious 22 recoil, though!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Ah, yes, I think we're talking about this:

View attachment 105207

If you bought it from a dealer, there's little risk that it's not legal for you. The only example I can find of a fake suppressor being declared a regulated item by the ATF was on a rifle. For whatever that's worth. I'd suggest calling a local gun shop as a good starting point.

How's she shoot?
I would assume that they declared it a regulated item on the rifle because it allowed the barrel to be extended to classify what would have been a SBR as a rifle.

·
Registered
24,596 Posts
Nothing to add so I will say welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
I would assume that they declared it a regulated item on the rifle because it allowed the barrel to be extended to classify what would have been a SBR as a rifle.
I am not into the black rifle stuff and so may be off on this but Doesn't Federal law regarding being on a rifle require that such an extension be a permanent mount?
as in screwed on welded , Etc to prevent quick removal?
A SBR would be a different thing as its already under the legal limit I would think.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I am not into the black rifle stuff and so may be off on this but Doesn't Federal law regarding being on a rifle require that such an extension be a permanent mount?
as in screwed on welded , Etc to prevent quick removal?
A SBR would be a different thing as its already under the legal limit I would think.
I also dont have much knowledge in that department. I was just takimg a guess. Even if it was screwed in, it could still be removed pretty easily.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !

New Jersey.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts