Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen a jacketed SWC. Have I just been non-observant?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Berry's and Rainier has plated SWC.
WC and SWC are mostly used for cheap target shooting that cut nice clean holes. Jacketed bullets cost more so most target shooters wouldn't want to pay the extra cost. Plated bullets are cleaner to handle and shoot so there is a market for plated WC and SWC bullets.
IMHO

·
32,654 Posts
Of all the goofy things. There are or were professional African hunters who carry revolvers made for anemic, but FMJ revolver rounds for backup against the big cats.

Bell, a professional hunter, has several close encounters of the worst kind with lions. His Webley revolver .38 caliber had said plated rounds. These went through the cat's skull with ease and saved his life. He credited the gun with saving him from being mauled worse than he was. He walked away from all the nasty encounters. Wounded, but not severly.
Hunters who didn't follow his lead in wearing a sidearm have paid the ultimate price.

·
Administrator
18,111 Posts
JimL said:
I've never seen a jacketed SWC. Have I just been non-observant?
Remington used to load and sell a .451 diameter 185 grn FMJ Semi-Wadcutters and some outlets, such as Midway, used to sell them to reloaders. I still have some in my Loading Room inventory. They may still be available. Sierra and Speer also used to make them and they may still be available. Speers Bullet line changed markedly when they went to the TMJ plating Process for some bullets.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm looking for affordable practice ammo, but I'm not wild about leading up my barrel.

Thanks a million

JimL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts