Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I haven't posted the answer to this problem sooner... I will attempt to explain as well as I can, I suppose some pictures would help but I haven't had time to do so (sorry).

It is an amazingly simple process to swap the mag release on the 24/7 and pt111, PT132, PT138, PT140, PT145, PT745 (this list includes all polymer models that I know of).

Tools need:
Small flat screwdriver (1/8 flat blade should work)
One Finger (no not the middle one... but smaller is better)
Good light, maybe a flashlight and someone or someway to shine into the grip frame...

How too...
1) Use good light (flashlight works good)
2) Remove magazine
3) Remove slide from frame
4) Look into grip frame (use the flashlight now & and looking down from the top of frame) and you will see the mag release and a small pin under it (the pin is the magazine release spring).
5) Take your small flat screwdriver and insert it into the grip frame from the top (top worked best for me) and press the pin where it meets the bottom of the magazine release towards the trigger. You may not feel it move, but when it does your magazine release will pop loose (thats a good thing). **I suppose the pin could fall out, since it is a removable/replaceable part, mine didn't.**

6) Remove the magazine release and flip it over and reinsert so the finger side is on the side you want (right for lefty, left for righty...)

7) With the magazine release reinstalled, hold it in place by slipping your finger into the grip frame. Take the screw driver and slide it into the bottom end of the grip frame and gentle twist/push the pin in the opposite direct of the button (right for left or left for right side) **This part could require smaller fingers, so if you have large-short fingers you may want some help or use something large and round like a fat pencil.** Finger works nice because you can feel what your doing...)

8) If all went well, your magazine release will fit and function as before, just on the opposite side of the frame. I have repeated this several times on my 24/7's, PT145 and a friends PT111. All seem to work fine and once again sorry for no pictures, I just haven't had the time lately.

It took me a couple of trys to get it right the first time, but after I got it once it was fairly easy. Good lucky...

Reactions: RevNav

·
Registered
39 Posts
great post dreager,,,im left handed and easily changed my mag release on my pt 138 pro over too left handed,,,again thanks ,,

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wished I had a lefty fix for the frame safety... :'(

Reactions: Jayday4470

·
Registered
54 Posts
For the PT92 family:

Reversing the Magazine Release on the Taurus PT92AF​

Josh Smith​

When a left-hander is looking for a firearm, one thing he looks for is compatibility with his "handedness." Though the situation is improving, firearms have traditionally been geared toward the right-handers market. Some of us were "left" to adapt.

The Taurus PT92AF is a prime example of almost complete ambidexterity, with only the slide release lever being non-reversable. One of the most common misconceptions I've observed is that the magazine release is not reversable either. This is a flawed idea. This guide will help you choose firearms with ambidextrous releases, and illustrate how to reverse the Taurus 92AF's release.

Before beginning, it is of course imperative that one makes the gun "safe." This involves removing the magazine from the pistol and clearing the chamber. Here is the 15 round magazine plus the round that was removed from the chamber.

Notice this Mec-Gar magazine designed for the Taurus PT92AF has dual notches, one on each side. This is usually indicative of a pistol on which the magazine release button can be reversed.

Here is the magazine release button on the left side, or the "right hander's position," as it comes from the factory.

The first step in reversing the release is to push the button in further than is possible with the finger alone. I prefer a ballpoint pen, but most anything will work provided it is small enough. This allows the opposite (right) side to be unscrewed.

The disassembled magazine catch assembly...

...and the reversed magazine release. Installation is reverse of removal, albeit on the right side.

A function test of the reversed magazine catch.

Of course, not all left handers prefer this configuration. I, for example, would only reverse a magazine release if I were inadvertently releasing the magazine while the firearm were in use. I've not yet run into that problem, and I find my index or middle finger to be faster when reloading than my thumb. As well, the target can still be covered if one finds himself in a situation where he can make a "tactical reload," say when an attacker is down and apparently out.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn I wish I had the time to get pics for the polymer pistols... Nice job and really good work, THANKS!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just brought home my new PT 92. Trying to swap the mag release to the right side has been an absolute nightmare and the post has not been of any benefit to me. I'm writing this at 2:20 a.m. and totally frustrated. I'm very angry with Taurus for their lack of detailed instructions in what seems so simple yet is so difficult. I know that I must be doing something wrong but what really bugs me is that you are supposed to press in and tighten the release button with a pin punch and I can't for the life of me get it to turn clockwise. I probably do not have the right tool. Moreover, it does not look like there's a clear passageway for the release button to screw into the other side button. I am using the spring (which was not even mentioned in the stupid Taurus instructions) on the release button.

I have been frustrated in the past getting my Lee Classic Turret Press and primer system to work properly, replacing mainsprings and rebound slide springs in S&W revolvers, etc., getting my Square Deal B to work properly (defective part, it turns out-and not me!), yet all have been successful. Through hardship and the school of hard knocks I can actually detail strip my S&W revolvers to the frame, do a trigger job, etc., load 500-600 rph on my SDB, replace rebound springs (I got the tool!), etc.

I admire any one who gunsmiths for a living. I'm glad I just took a tranquilizer because I'm at the end of my rope with this brand new pistol. If I had any idea that I would have such difficulty doing this task I never would have done it in the first place. (Being a southpaw, I have grown accustomed to releasing the mags on the left side of the frame with my Sigma, P-1, CZ-75B, etc.).

I may have to break down and have the fella at the gun range do it for me (for a fee), or see a gunsmith. These two alternatives bug me because I wanted to solve this problem for myself, but the inordinate time I have spent on this seems not worth it.

I was able to remove the entire mechanism-getting it reassembled for the right side of the frame is the problem.

Any input will be appreciated.

Update: Actually, the owner' manual (General Safety/Operating Instruction and Limited Warranty booklet) is one of the finest I have ever read. My only criticism concerns the 'Assembly for Left Hand Use' contained on page 23.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally I prefer single malt Scotch to a tranquilizer... I also at one time or another have felt your pain too. I never take anything to another smithy (because they are not as good as I am... hehehe, little ego trip). The worst trouble I eve had and still on occasion run into is putting a Ruger 22 pistol back together. I know how and do it all the time, but every once in a while that little booger makes me want to throw them in the trash :)

It is best to step back, let it sit for a day or two and start again fresh, avoiding an drugs of possible ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lookit-I GAVE UP on that Ruger MKII 22 reassembly. I will NEVER attempt that again. It was only from the goodnesss/kindness of a local upper end gun store employee in our area that it was reassembled for me, and at no charge!

Anyway, I GIVE UP!!!

Calling that local store to see if gunsmith in today and if he can solve the problem! I've had it!

I like Scotch too-Dewar's, JWB (not Red-but that's okay,too!), Glenfiddich, etc., but too many calories... :rolleyes:

Update: Local gunsmith will do it, but they have a minimum $35.00 charge for anything that 'goes upstairs'. He's willing to do it today, drop it off, will have it ready in an hour.

I told him that I would 'pass on that'... The h**k with that!

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem solved and did it myself!

Earlier post for the 92 did help, so my thanks for that, Josh.

To reassemble, one must push in on the mag release side of the equation and rotate the other shiny end clockwise and it will fit in the frame slot at the appropriate time. Forget about screwing in the hatched mag release button. Just get that shiny end threaded a bit and push in with a pen on the mag release (gridded end) to permit more of the end of the threaded screw to reach the shiny thing. But rotating the shiny end clockwise is where it all happens. I got stuck trying to rotate the hatched release button. GGGeesssssh....took me forever!

Now if I can only figure out how to properly align that V-spring under the left grip! There's a little pin-hole for it-but I don't understand its purpose and how it should be positioned.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tomgunner said:
I changed over the release on my P911 using the same technique described for the model 92.
That is a nice tip for those that are not use to tweaking their 1911's

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am going to try this as soon as Taurus Sends me my new Magazine Catch/Release.  They told me I didn't have to send in the gun and it looks simple enough just looking in the grip at the catch.  Great post.  This should save me some down time with my PT145.  I am itching to have it back at my side as a CCW.  I may hit you up on a PM Draeger, if I get stuck, which I don't forsee happening with the excellent instructions listed above..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Will Taurus just send me a new mag release? If so what would be process and the quickest way - I have had similar problems with mag release wearing down prematurely on my PT745. I thought it was the rounds I was using, but I soon realized something was not right when the mag was dropping when a round would fire. In any case, I asked my LGD who sells Taurus that he may be able to just have one sent and he woudl install it. That was a month ago - does anyone think I could get one just sent directly to me and I could d this myself. ;-)

BTW - PT745 us great CCW. I carry it in a Belly Band and it is totally undetectable, but a little slower to get out, depending on what shirt I'm wearing. Upgraded to PT145 becuase I wanted more rounds - don't need to carry another clip, as if I needed it anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just call Taurus and they can send the mag catch/release to you in the mail. It took me all of five minutes to swap out, using the above instructions. I never worked on a gun before other than field stripping and cleaning. It was easy as pie. I did not even need to take off the slide or use a flash light. I can do it with my index finger and by feel. I ran 50 rounds through after to check function and both mags performed flawlessly. I kep the original mag release as a spare, I dremeled it down a little and it was working also. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Using the instructions, I figured out how to take the mag catch out - I can clearly where the mag release was wearing down - I am going to try that dremel trick - while I get a new part from taurus. BTW, this renews my confidence in this weapon - there is nothing like knowing how to maintain and fix your own weapon. I feel that all important pieces of equipment need some kind of maintenance to keep working and running at high capacity - even better when you know your equipment inside and out and can check it and replace parts before they become a problem. Ultimately, it is my responsibility that my equipment will functions perfectly when it's needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dremel Operation on worn out mag release done - it was successful! I shaved to much off the lip, I have to slightly press the mag release button to put a new mag in - but mag goes in and stays in - I can bevel the mag catch that touches the magazine to fix that problem - gun is usable and as dependable as ever, but I will get new part from taurus and replace this one. I hope they are made of more durable material.
Thanks for the post hockey!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, I gave it a try. My mag release is so worn it will not hold when placed for right hand shooters. The mag catch is worn beveled on the top side. I flipped it over for left hand use, applied the dremel repair and now I have a mag that stays put! Much thanks to all for the instructions and encouragement. I am really liking this pistol! I will place a call to Taurus on Monday and see what it will take to get a new mag release sent to me. Again, Thanks to everyone for your help.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Will "reversing" the mag release do anything to affect the Lifetime warranty?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts