Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, This is my first post so hopefully ive found the appropriate place to post. I have a Taurus Model 85 revolver with a 2" barrel and wondered if it was possible to swap it out for a 3" barrel I discovered 3" barrels are available from Nurmrich Gun Parts. On a related note I was also considering swapping grips to a set of wooden ones, will the older factory wood grips that can be found on ebay fit the newer style revolvers that come with the factory rubber grips? Thanks for any help in advance!

Ryne

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
It is probably going to take a good machinist and a lathe to get the sights indexed correctly, I don't think I would try it personally (and I am pretty fearless about most gun work) It would most likely cost you less money to buy one with the barrel length you want.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

I cannot help you with the barrel but the older wood grips fit my M85UL perfectly.

Wood Grips.jpg

Reactions: bigC and Qwiks draw

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
They are made to screw in and screw out, so give it a shot. Use a padded vise and maybe padded channel lock pliers. Just dont twist at the front sight. Give it a go and report back.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine" state of Florida.

State of over "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses. I "might" be cheaper to locate and buy a 3" incher verses replacing the barrel and paying a good gunsmith to do it "right".

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
They are made to screw in and screw out, so give it a shot. Use a padded vise and maybe padded channel lock pliers. Just dont twist at the front sight. Give it a go and report back.
Bad Idea. You need at the minimum shaped blocks for both the receiver and the barrel or you will risk warping the receiver and damaging the barrel.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
The best way to secure the barrel is to take a block of oak, drill a hole in it the size of the barrel and then cut the block into two pieces. Then you can put the block in a vise to clamp it (a little powdered sugar or rosin will give it a better grip) You still have to make an action wrench or buy one to turn the frame off the barrel, and you have to do it on the frame right where the barrel screws in or you will twist the action out of shape. I have rebarreled rifles, but that is easier because the scope mounts to the action and not the barrel so the barrel does not need to be indexed to the action.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll probably be branded a heretic but I "fixed" the bbl on my 605 2" SS revolver. The bbl kept turning so the sight was off to the right. :mad: I sent the gun to Taurus and they "fixed" it - for one range session! I couldn't see sending it back again if even they couldn't get it tight so I decided to do it myself. Here's the 'heretic' part:

I took the loose bbl off entirely. I cleaned the threads of the bbl and inside the frame extensively. Then I galled up the threads a bit with a file and applied permanent LocTite to the surfaces (that sucker ain't NEVER coming out again!!!). I removed the cylinder, slid the handle of a hammer through it and wrapped the bbl with a rag. Gripped that bad boy with 16" channel-lock pliers and wrenched it down 'til the sight was lined up with the rear one. Let it set and dry for a day and re-assembled. It's never moved a tiny bit in over 2 years. So sue me....

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Hello and welcome to the best forum on the net, from Wilmington, NC !!!!!

Yes, it can be done. Just don't use the old amateur "hammer handle through the frame" to twist the barrel out. It will most likely need to be indexed, and, possibly setback done on the barrel so that you get the proper cylinder gap and sight alignment. Good luck, and, I would consider getting the services of a "good" gunsmith, if your know one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts